Why become a member? ×

Basschat Competition Bass (13 Guitar Co.) - CONCLUSION!

Skol303

Well this is my first ever build diary!

As some of you may know, I was lucky enough to win November's BC Composition Challenge, in which Paul at [url="http://www.13guitarco.com/"]13 Guitar Co[/url] was kind enough to offer up a custom-made bass. So firstly, MASSIVE THANKS to Paul and hopefully this will inspire other sponsors and affiliates to do the same in future.

Very early days in this project, but I'll use this thread to post progress on the build for anyone who's interested and/or considering using Paul's services themselves.

I've emailed some ideas to Paul which we'll no doubt discuss in due course. For the time being, I have in my head a 5-string, 24 fret active bass that in no way resembles a Fender (no offence meant to Fender lovers!).

If anyone wants to share ideas, experiences, etc, then please feel free. I'm really keen to learn as much as possible from this process.

Thanks again BC... I owe you all a drink! :drinks:

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1354862198' post='1891295']
A drink each could be pricey! :lol:
Any woods or finish in mind yet?
[/quote]

Actually yeah... 25,000 members at say £3 a pint... err, anyone for a nice cup of tea? :blink:

In terms of materials, my initial thoughts are a mahogany body (for its reputed rich lows and mids), coupled with a bubinga/rosewood neck/fretboard. All with a natural finish - seems a shame to paint over such nice wood. But it's early days and all that could change!

I'll wait to see what ideas Paul comes back with before making any firm choices. I'm more than happy to draw on his expertise, particuarly with regards to materials.

hmm well if it was me I would be analyzing some of my favorite guitars to try and figure out why they are my favorites e.g. sound/shape/materials, then decide on the sound I was after and take it from there. Then do you want to try and replicate that or do something different?

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1354874621' post='1891404']Could be a bit weighty then, a mans bass![/quote]

Indeedy! I'm no man's man, but I am the sort who likes hauling his ass up hills with a rucksack full of unnecessary junk on his back - for fun! - so the weight of it won't be an issue ;)

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1354874851' post='1891410']hmm well if it was me I would be analyzing some of my favorite guitars to try and figure out why they are my favorites e.g. sound/shape/materials, then decide on the sound I was after and take it from there. Then do you want to try and replicate that or do something different?[/quote]

Exactly. I've played a few mahogany body basses in the past and I've really loved the sound of them - fat lows, punchy mids and a tone that seems to roll of the highs (which is generally how I EQ my bass anyway). That's not to say mahogany is the ideal option - it's just a material I can relate to, which'll hopefully give Paul at 13 Guitar an idea of the tone I'm after.

Lots to learn!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355344141' post='1897284']sounds like a cool bass! are you going to have photos of the build?[/quote]

Sure! Paul at 13 Guitar is working on a design at the moment; once that's sorted we'll be choosing woods, etc, and then starting the build. I'll certainly be posting photos and whatnot here as it develops, and welcoming anyone's input :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1355474593' post='1898730']Never mind woods atm, what about the shape? How many strings? Any preference on electronics? Arrrgh! We need details man.. details!![/quote]

Hehe! Early days... ;) It's going to be a 5 stringer, with an unconventional number of frets (i.e. more than 24... maybe), active electronics (exact brand/type tbc), and shape-wise looking [i]something[/i] along these lines:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:125122]

...none of which is confirmed and a lot of which may well change! But that's the rough idea that Paul is currently working up a design for. I'll be able to share some concrete details in due course as the project develops.

PS: no idea why that image has been posted twice. I suck at IT. But at least I can now post images, which I couldn't do a week or so ago. That's progress!

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1355524136' post='1899717']
Hehe! Early days... ;) It's going to be a 5 stringer, with an unconventional number of frets (i.e. more than 24... maybe), active electronics (exact brand/type tbc), and shape-wise looking [i]something[/i] along these lines:

...none of which is confirmed and a lot of which may well change! But that's the rough idea that Paul is currently working up a design for. I'll be able to share some concrete details in due course as the project develops.

PS: no idea why that image has been posted twice. I suck at IT. But at least I can now post images, which I couldn't do a week or so ago. That's progress!
[/quote]

That's a bit of a mental looking thing.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355525334' post='1899728']That's a bit of a mental looking thing.[/quote]

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1355525634' post='1899730']Be interesting to hear how that balances.How about making it 24 fret on the b,e and a then 26 on the d and g?[/quote]

Yeah, it's not quite a Fender classic, is it? :lol: I really dig the shape of it, although I imagine it's not to everyone's taste. The bass in the pic is a 36 fret beast, although what I'm looking at may be around 28 with room for two p'ups.

Like I said, still early days so lots could change... but that's the rough starting point.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the initial drawing back from Paul at [url="http://www.13guitarco.com/"]13 Guitar Co[/url] and wow! - I'm very pleased with it :) He's going to extend the lower horn slightly to create some extra leg room for playing sitting down. Other than that it's good to go.

Next step is to order in the wood. I'm currently thinking of a dense material like mahogany/myrtle/ash for the body and maybe bubinga or maple for the neck... but all that could change!

If anybody wants to make suggestions then please do - I'd welcome any input throughout the build.

Cheers.

Thats a fine looking design! Nice work. I'm a P-bass man myself but I like the shape of this. Eyecatching and original. Reminds me a bit of a Curbow which I also like.

Ive had a look at your website Paul and you do some quality workmanship by the look of it. I've bookmarked it should I decide to get a custom job done myself. Will be keeping a eye on this discussion as it looks like an interesting project.

Best,

Rog