Why become a member? ×

Strap lengths under the Chin on the gut or round your knee's whats your poison???

loushort

So my right arm is about straight. I've played with my bass very low and fairly high and this about suits me. It did used to be a bit higher but I had tendonitis in my wrist a few years back and if I try and play for long periods now, my wrist would start to sieze up. It's not done it in a few years but I don't see the point risking it when this way is comfy anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wear my basses quite high, so my fretting wrist is straight and there's no nasty break angle for my plucking hand. I find this puts the bass at just the right height for playing fingerstyle, picking or slapping. This translates to a strap just slightly longer than Sheehan's optimum.

Edited by walbassist

I have mine dropped slightly lower than what it would be when I'm sitting.
I've tried loads of positions & tried to have it the same as when sitting, but it's more comfortable to play for me if it drops @ 2" when I'm standing.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1359904888' post='1961829']
I have mine dropped slightly lower than what it would be when I'm sitting.
I've tried loads of positions & tried to have it the same as when sitting, but it's more comfortable to play for me if it drops @ 2" when I'm standing.
[/quote]

Which is why I never ever play sitting down.

My biggest bugbear about this is rock guitarists who sit down to record their parts in the studio. You don't sit down on stage, so why when you are recording? It saps all the energy out of the performance. If you can't play the part standing up well enough to pass studio scrutiny then IMO you need to practice more.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359905562' post='1961842']

My biggest bugbear about this is rock guitarists who sit down to record their parts in the studio. You don't sit down on stage, so why when you are recording? It saps all the energy out of the performance. If you can't play the part standing up well enough to pass studio scrutiny then IMO you need to practice more.
[/quote]

They are only sitting down because they are exhausted after waiting 6 hours for the drummer to get a half-decent take.

[/quote]

I prefer standing, but quite often in the house I just grab my bass & sit down just to practice building speed & stamina.

I'd like to agree with the standing theory, but it does depend on the music. This for example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3hBYTkI-sE

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1359906920' post='1961859']
They are only sitting down because they are exhausted after waiting 6 hours for the drummer to get a half-decent take.
[/quote]

Not our drummer. If it takes him more than a couple of goes, it's because he's being too picky about his playing...

"I didn't quite hit the ride cymbal in the right place on the second beat of the third bar in the middle 8".

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1359907878' post='1961877']
I prefer standing, but quite often in the house I just grab my bass & sit down just to practice building speed & stamina.

I'd like to agree with the standing theory, but it does depend on the music. This for example...
[/quote]

Even practicing around the house I always stand up to play. I'm a physical player - I like to move around as I play.

Although I agree about it not being appropriate for every genre which is why I qualified my statement by talking about ROCK guitarists.

[/quote]

The difference you're not putting on a show when you're recording so why bother standing up? it doesn't make any difference to how I sound recorded whether I'm sitting or standing.

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1359910436' post='1961921']
The difference you're not putting on a show when you're recording so why bother standing up? it doesn't make any difference to how I sound recorded whether I'm sitting or standing.
[/quote]

IME it makes a massive difference to how most people play. Seated playing never seems to have the same level of attack or energy.

Of course you might be one of the exceptions, but I'd need to hear you play first to be sure.

Edit: and you are putting on a show - without the visual cues you need to try even harder to achieve something that sounds as exciting as the live stage performance.

Edited by BigRedX

Clearly I'm not the exception otherwise everybody would recoding standing up, but they don't & most albums sound fine, if anything I'd say most people sound better sitting down before they're more focused.

I don't see it like that, it's the visual parts that make a live show exciting you'll never get a recording to be like it, I don't find live anymore exciting the stuff recorded in a studio, often it just sounds more sloppy.