Why become a member? ×

Strap lengths under the Chin on the gut or round your knee's whats your poison???

loushort

Sorry if this has already been covered on the Forum but I had to share

when I started playing bass I used to wear it under my chin it was the 80's after all
once the novelty of the flying thumb wore off I started to wear my bass a little lower just above waste height
but have always felt like I was not really playing the instrument as it wasn't close enough to my body(if that makes sense)
just recently I have adjusted my strap to a much longer length (just above crotch)mostly to hide my gut but also because I felt stupid wearing the bass so high after all these years I am no longer the 7 stone bean pole I used to be
I used to work in a Book Bindary and have destroyed my wrists(steady)so at some angles I get painful clicking wrists when playing but that has gone now i have no troubles hitting the notes plus I play with thumb on the front pick up of my Cirrus's with the fingers plucking over the bridge so I still get a nice tight sound
I know our bodies change when we get older we hunch and get wider as middle age spreads but how do you guys/girls wear your basses????

Just covering belt n b*lls. I play it that way not cos it looks coolest, nor cos it`s easier to play on the fretting hand - as it`s not - but cos I have a bad right shoulder, and the only way I can play is with my right arm down by my side.Raise it slightly, where it is easier on the fretting hand, and my shoulder really hurts. Tried may different positions, high/low etc, and that`s just about right.

I've always thought that high up basses look ultra nerdy and uncool, and over accentuate the 'limp wristed' plucking hand look - which I also hate! so I like it pretty lowish, but just high enough to do slapping still. Haven't looked in a mirror to see how low/high it looks though. Pretty much always kept the same height though.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1356094952' post='1906733']
according to Billy Sheehan, when you are stood up the bass should be in the same position on your body as when you are sat down practising. That way all your angles are the same and you are not changing position.
[/quote]

That's exactly how I have mine, I find it the most comfortable for me.

according to Billy Sheehan, when you are stood up the bass should be in the same position on your body as when you are sat down practising. That way all your angles are the same and you are not changing position.
[/quote]

I never play sitting down. Playing for me is all about gigging, and I'm certainly not going to sit down when I gig, therefore I always play standing up because that's how I'll do it in public where it's most important.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1356105384' post='1906951']
I never play sitting down. Playing for me is all about gigging, and I'm certainly not going to sit down when I gig, therefore I always play standing up because that's how I'll do it in public where it's most important.
[/quote]

This.

Though more cos playing sat down ends up playing merry hell with my right shoulder. I'm like Lozz, bass at the end of my very long right arm. Which interestingly may make it more like Spike's..... :)

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

I also teach the same for that reason. I like to teach efficiency as well as getting across the importance of good posture. It makes tons of sense to have your bass in pretty much the same place if you are stood up or sat down. If you practice at home with your nose above the upper horn of the bass - then play gigs with the bass hanging around ya balls - then you're undoing all of that practice and exercise on your hands. As an example, I've never seen a drummer practice all his moves with a kit set out one way, then change it completely for a gig! It'd be a disaster for most.