Why become a member? ×

Just ordered my first EUB total noob what have I done?!

stingrayPete1977

Yep Pizz,
Uhh i play sitting down
Umm mine sorta leans on my left knee,
Fingerboard bro fingers go on it :P
like Stingray said just practice with it, i just find it weird when i change back to the big bass as there is no body resting on you

Thanks again.

Yes, my nut is just above eyebrow level (!) so the hip brace is around waist level. As I doubt I will be straying very high up the fingerboard (thanks!) I have also taken off the small angle bracket thing.

Pizz - pronounced Pitz?

Mods - not done anything other than stick some foam under the strings near the bridge. What else should I be looking for? The end pin seems secure, not wobbly, which I have read can be an issue.

Nothing else seems a problem at the moment apart from a tendency to do some extra mwar noise around 3rd fret position on D string. Not sure why this happens as the neck seems true.

One of the main reasons I wanted to join the EUB club was because of this:

[media]http://youtu.be/6VsY_h7CBbY[/media]

I've just started with a new band and we are doing some bluesy/jazzy/funky type stuff including this wonderful Animals cover by Robben Ford. Didn't sound right on a fretted bass for some reason. That does sound like a rather lame excuse to give into gas, though... :)

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1368632041' post='2079500']
Pizz - pronounced Pitz?
Didn't sound right on a fretted bass for some reason. That does sound like a rather lame excuse to give into gas, though... :)
[/quote]

Pizzicato pronounced Pitsi Kato, My tute is always correcting me on that haha
just started learning to play pizz with a bow in my hand seems damn awkward

Excuses excuses...you know youve always wanted too, go on buy a Real Bass :ph34r: feel the rumble of the deep side you wont regret it.

Edited by Owencf

The other mods you might want to look at are i) stopping the end pin rattling and ii) improving the electrical shielding

I had issues with the end pin which made quite a bit of knocking noise as I moved around, shifted weight, etc. (especially when amplified). I solved it by neatly wrapping a 1" strip of gaffer tape around the top of the pin (under the back plate) until it made a snug (but not too snug) fit when pulled back down into the hole.

I've not really noticed any shielding issues myself, but stingrayPete1977 has fully shielded his rear cavity (oo-er!), including behind the pre-amp module.

Wow. That could keep me amused for ages! Thank you for those pics, really useful.

I am off on holiday tomorrow but will get a proper chance to fiddle with the new bass when I get back.

Cheers! :)

That would be great, thanks.

I'd be particularly interested in lowering the action - I guess filing nut and the bridge slots to get them even is a good starting point.

Two other things make themselves apparent - a 'quacking' on or about the F on the D string (is that an Fing quack?) and a wobbly hip brace that the pietzo picks up. Easy fixes?

I found those photos while googling to see if you could buy a replacement bridge (another thread)

The bridge height is adjustable - although it might take a while to work out how :). You shouldn't need to modify the bridge - just adjust the bridge height & set the neck relief.

I have similar 'quacking' around the third fret (?!) which I put down to the fretboard not being quite level - which wouldn't surprise me on such a cheap instrument. It mainly seems to be on the D string, so maybe it's a common 'feature'. However I quite like the little buzz as it makes it sound a bit more like a DB when it happens.

I thought I was picking up noise from the hip brace, but it was actually the end pin (see the list of 'standard' fixes). Once I fixed that the noise was hardly noticeable. If it's still a problem after you've tackled the end pin, you could probably wrap some plumbers PTFE tape around the brace where it goes through the threaded nut. You could also probably stretch the neoprene down towards the threaded nuts too - see how it's cut slightly short to allow them to spin freely.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1368718854' post='2080681']
That would be great, thanks.

I'd be particularly interested in lowering the action - I guess filing nut and the bridge slots to get them even is a good starting point.

Two other things make themselves apparent - a 'quacking' on or about the F on the D string (is that an Fing quack?) and a wobbly hip brace that the pietzo picks up. Easy fixes?
[/quote]
Just realised its in this thread, page 5 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Back now. Thanks again for replies/links. It is the brace that is moving, not the end pin - which is tight and not moving. I'll try your suggestion.

I have another question but will start a new topic I think.