Why become a member? ×

Just ordered my first EUB total noob what have I done?!

stingrayPete1977

Had my Stagg EUB for 4 weeks and loving it,
Mind you for a musical novice any note which i make that comes out in tune is good :P
even this short into learning i wish i had of just paid a wee bitty extra and brought a real Double bass...maybe next year.
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355935061' post='1904735']
Its still not here! I bet its going to spend the night in a van somewhere for no reason :(
[/quote]
know the feeling mate mine wasnt delivered until about 20 minutes before last drop off so i was crawling the walls.

This forum is very friendly and if you ask a question there is generally a plethora of answers in a short time and people can be messaged and can either answer you or put you onto someone who knows.

Love the community here.

Just been looking on UPS website and it can be upto 7pm or later during the holiday period! Guess what I'm out babysitting tonight for my sisters kids, you know whats going to happen. Even if it comes I wont be able to mess with it Arrrghh. Funny thing is until this morning I would of been happy with friday or saturday now I know its around here somewhere I want it now!!! :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355935303' post='1904746']
Thos posture pictures are really good thanks :)
[/quote]
No worries mate. I have scowered the Tinter-me-bob to find info as I found it a torture impliment at first. but I persivered & found the correct way to hold, stand & play.....it's kind of weird as one day i was playing for about 2 hours when I suddenly why my arm was'nt hurting.

It makes more sense when you are playing i suppose :)

[quote name='Owencf' timestamp='1355935552' post='1904755']
Had my Stagg EUB for 4 weeks and loving it,
Mind you for a musical novice any note which i make that comes out in tune is good :P
even this short into learning i wish i had of just paid a wee bitty extra and brought a real Double bass...maybe next year.

know the feeling mate mine wasnt delivered until about 20 minutes before last drop off so i was crawling the walls.

This forum is very friendly and if you ask a question there is generally a plethora of answers in a short time and people can be messaged and can either answer you or put you onto someone who knows.

Love the community here.
[/quote]
Oh yes I am loving the Db section of the forum where I have never ventured before! How much of a novice are you if you dont mind me asking, I can play regular bass and have done for many years so I can see that as a help over someone starting to play an instrument especially a strung one and at the same time I will be bringing all my bad habits with me!

Would you really want the hassle of a normal bass though especially when learning the basics? I have not really got the room for one nor the desire to lug one around, If anything I will be looking for a better EUB if and when the time comes, maybe a Yamaha Silent bass.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1355935687' post='1904762']
No worries mate. I have scowered the Tinter-me-bob to find info as I found it a torture impliment at first. but I persivered & found the correct way to hold, stand & play.....it's kind of weird as one day i was playing for about 2 hours when I suddenly why my arm was'nt hurting.

It makes more sense when you are playing i suppose :)
[/quote]
Once my wrist is better I am going to have a lesson or 50 with Doddy but I want to try and start off in something like the right fashion so those pics will be good :)

Well havent play a guitar in over 10 years and forgot more than i learned....if thats possible. so Novice means really dont know much.
though that might seem a bad thing its not im more like a clean carpet you can track muddy boots on :blink:
Been making progress without a tutor (there aint many in or around Aberdeen) due to the wonders of the tinterweb, and some books.
Yeah i know what you mean about the size of a Double bass, My flat aint exactly designed with anything more than Food telly and sleep in mind,
And the Stagg stands 18 inches taller than my wife so she is probably intimidated by it.

Ha!! You're all sitting there, convincing yourselves that the EUB makes sense cos you haven't got a big enough room/flat/house/wife and that you don't think that you'll be able to handle an acoustic DB.

You know what?

Jazzers are known for having the smallest apartments....and what do jazzers play? That's right, double bass.

Don't get me wrong, you'll love your Staggs for 5 or 6 months, then you'll find that you can actually play the thing....and then you'll think about changing the strings and the the next think you know you'll find yourself checking out the classifides for a seond hand double bass around the £1000 mark.

I know, man, I've been there..... :lol:

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1355939093' post='1904837']
Ha!! You're all sitting there, convincing yourselves that the EUB makes sense cos you haven't got a big enough room/flat/house/wife
[/quote]

what ya trying to say mate...my wife is fine thank you :P

but ive already been eyeballing strings and Pre-loved Double basses..bassi..bass. you know what i mean.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1355939093' post='1904837']
Ha!! You're all sitting there, convincing yourselves that the EUB makes sense cos you haven't got a big enough room/flat/house/wife and that you don't think that you'll be able to handle an acoustic DB.

You know what?

Jazzers are known for having the smallest apartments....and what do jazzers play? That's right, double bass.

Don't get me wrong, you'll love your Staggs for 5 or 6 months, then you'll find that you can actually play the thing....and then you'll think about changing the strings and the the next think you know you'll find yourself checking out the classifides for a seond hand double bass around the £1000 mark.

I know, man, I've been there..... :lol:
[/quote]
I know but I did sound quite convincing for a minute :lol:

Still not here either :(

Cool. I got my Harley benton EUB a couple of months ago, and have been gigging with it since about a fortnight later. Like fumps says, once you get your head round the posture (might take a lesson, I just looked at pictures, and worked out what DIDN'T hurt while I was playing around with it.) it's fine. Then working out the longer stretches, eventually your fingers fall into place, and your normal leccy bass feels all wrong and small.
Also pedals are fun (I nearly destroyed the house with my mxr overdrive and synth pedals) currently run it through a behringer bass synth for the dubsteppy bits in the bands new material. Very cool.
I'm pretty happy with my HB, and don't feel the need for a real DB, especially when I am carrying the bloody thing to and fro gigs, wishing I could strap it over my back like my old fretless. Same with strings, though I worry about not having spares so will replace them so's I can keep the old ones in the gig bag. Cheap is not always bad. :) Expensive is not always better.
Good luck, it all comes together pretty nicely one day, and that is a GOOD day.

Boo sat here baby sitting while it gathers dust!
first impressions were on how good the gig bag is, proper cosy gortex with quality zips, from what some folk said maybe these have been upgraded? Set it up and I can hear the end pin making a noise so that needs sorting if anyone knows exactly what the fix is? Nut is not too bad just need a little bit maybe, bridge needs to come down lots but its easy enough to do as I have already done it quite a bit.strings seam ok actually not too worried at the moment.it has a bit of a swishy sound when I'm playing kind of like a flat battery which it could be, I will pop a Duracell in tomorrow and see. I have used a chunk of the packing foam to dampen the strings below the bridge.

Thats it for now but I like it already I soon got a tune out of it as is with a broken wrist and crap set up things can only get better :)

yey the beast got delivered !!!

now you need to do the modifications the end pin needs a bandage type wrap around, also something needs wrapping around it to mute the strings below the bridge, I have a bit of foam (All done by our very own Artisan). have a read of this & you cant go far wrong
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/6749-stagg/page__st__260__p__646907__hl__stagg%20modifications%20__fromsearch__1#entry646907"]http://basschat.co.u...__1#entry646907[/url]

So mate enjoy the beast.

But I'm with Davevader. the dubstep sound is epic with the EUB. as a matter of fact when i first started playing it with effects it made me consider getting rid of the guitar altogether lol. Just the sound alone makes it tempting

Edited by fumps

As fumps says just get some thin foam style wrapping and bandage the post inside the body. Just make sure it can still pull out.

As for string damping........................

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160704-accessorise-your-eub-with-this-seasons-must-have-string-damper/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160704-accessorise-your-eub-with-this-seasons-must-have-string-damper/[/url] :D

A

Morning folks! Working from home on the computer (damn modern technology!) so I am going to dip in and out. I have used a lump of the packing foam to mute below the bridge and should be able to make some spare ones neater once I have more ability with my left hand, I will go and read the linked thread as I cant see where to wrap the post, I presume I need to take the cover off the back?

I am going to practice with the band tonight with it! We have not met up at the practice room for over a month and I have told them I will have to just take it easy never mind that I cant really play it very well :lol:

Started the mods already! :lol:

Used a chunk of the grey packing foam for the string mute below the bridge.

Took the back off and the end pin was rubbing on the piezo wires as they were not laid in properly behind the foil!!! a few more ins and outs and that would of been ruined, managed to tidy the foil up until the proper stuff comes to do a better job.

Used the thin foam wrap from around the bass when shipped to make a little foam strip doubled over and sellotaped to the end pin, spun the pin and sellotaped it all the way around- sorted.

Used that same foam to do the mod behind the peizo wires and cleaned out the crud to make the bridge sit flat.

I think mine only wants a little bit out from the nut on the A string the rest dont look bad to me.

The only problem I have now is the bridge slot for the E is not very deep and the E has a tendancy to roll out and dwon the bridge, should I just file it a tad more to get a better anchor on it? I have made it worse by lowering the action loads from the factory setting, only to about what people are saying in the string height thread though 8mm on the E to about 6mm on the G as I dont want to try and make it feel like a fretless bass. If I slot the E enough to get a solid fit and it sits lower than the other strings I presume it wont hurt to take a bit out of them all will it?

So far so good though I like it and happy to save a few hundred quid to do these niggles as appears to be what everyone else has said. :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977