Why become a member? ×

Double Bass String Height

4ropebottom

[quote name='4ropebottom' timestamp='1355849960' post='1903651']
Thanks Fatback. So, with a preamp/mixer you can plug a mic into most any amp?
[/quote]

Not quite any amp perhaps. Just to wind this thread back a bit and apologies for hijacking the string height discussion. I really feel that if you are going to rely on your backline for a largish/loudish gig, then a piezo or an Ehrlund is probably the answer. But for a smaller gig where the rest of the group can keep their volume within comfortable limits then a properly set up mic combination will give a rewarding sound - the 'my bass only louder' sound. For this the Doubler or a twin channel Clarus would be ideal especially if you want to blend in just a little piezo to tighten things up a bit. Both amps offer a phantom power facility which a condenser mic, such as a DPA 4099 would need. But IMO, a really good piece of kit to put in the chain would be an ARTTUBE MP preamp. Not much more than 30 quid it can do phantom power - so you could then have a wider choice of amps - phase reverse, and it seems to make a nice warm sound with workable feedback threshold. I prefer it to the Headway and it offers good VFM.

Finally, don't look any bigger than a 10" cab. All my opinions, of course.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1355927486' post='1904576']
IMO, a really good piece of kit to put in the chain would be an ARTTUBE MP preamp. Not much more than 30 quid it can do phantom power - so you could then have a wider choice of amps - phase reverse, and it seems to make a nice warm sound with workable feedback threshold. I prefer it to the Headway and it offers good VFM.[/quote]

My local guitar shop has got some of those in and they are neat little boxes for the money. Don't know why I haven't got one (or two) yet tbh.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1355932468' post='1904674']
Looks like I'm winning on string height. You can get addicted to raising your bridge, especially if your bass sounds bigger and better the higher you go.
[/quote]

Looks like that! By the way - I checked out those Paul Bryant basses on the web. BEAUTIFUL instruments. Being in the USA, I hadn't heard of them.

What do they generally go for, if they are in good shape?

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Shows,Jazz,BigBands.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. 6-9mm[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Evah [/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Weichs[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4. Full Circle[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Acoustic Image Clarus and Euphonic Audio 12" Wizzy Mline cabinet.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Welcome to the site 4ropebottom.[/font][/color]

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1356001166' post='1905448']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Shows,Jazz,BigBands.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. 6-9mm[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Evah [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Weichs[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]4. Full Circle[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]6. Acoustic Image Clarus and Euphonic Audio 12" Wizzy Mline cabinet.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Welcome to the site 4ropebottom.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Thanks Geoff! I've got to check out those AI amps...seems a lot of players on this site like them.

What kind of bass are you playing?

Its an 100 year old german factory bass which has had a new front and neck. It's got a very focused sound so works really well amplified. The AI Clarus is a great little head and I love it for upright with the EA wizzy, Mline cab. It can get very loud but is small enough to fit into tight spaces, so I can use the same rig on all my gigs. I use an extra regular wizzy 12" cab when im on bass guitar and the clarus is ok for that, but not my favourite head for bass guitar. For DB though I love it.

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1356015953' post='1905759']
...what's your bass set up 4ropebottom?
[/quote]

Ha! Thanks Geoff. I guess I should give the answers to my questions for myself - didn't think of that!

1. Jazz, World, Folk-Rock
2. 5 - 8 mm
3. Obligatos - I keep going back and forth between these and the Evah Pirazzis. Last 2 sets have been Obligatos.
4. Realist (Gage)
5. GK MB150S with matching extension cab.
6. My main bass is now a Shen 3/4...I've only had it for about 3 weeks. I had a German Hybrid that I really liked for about 10 years. I sold that and a Fender jazz and bought the Shen. (I have an all original 62 P bass, and a fretless jazz too, but I haven't played electric in about 8 years. I keep them for sentimental and investment reasons. One day I'll sell the 62 P bass and my current bass and use the funds to buy my ultimate upright.) I also own an Eminence portable acoustic bass made by a luthier in Minnesota. I keep it in Florida for gigs down there - I'm down there a few times a year.

Edited by 4ropebottom

[quote name='4ropebottom' timestamp='1356048294' post='1906341']
Ha! Thanks Geoff. I guess I should give the answers to my questions for myself - didn't think of that!

1. Jazz, World, Folk-Rock
2. 5 - 8 mm
3. Obligatos - I keep going back and forth between these and the Evah Pirazzis. Last 2 sets have been Obligatos.
4. Realist (Gage)
5. GK MB150S with matching extension cab.
6. My main bass is now a Shen 3/4...I've only had it for about 3 weeks. I had a German Hybrid that I really liked for about 10 years. I sold that and a Fender jazz and bought the Shen. (I have an all original 62 P bass, and a fretless jazz too, but I haven't played electric in about 8 years. I keep them for sentimental and investment reasons. One day I'll sell the 62 P bass and my current bass and use the funds to buy my ultimate upright.) I also own an Eminence portable acoustic bass made by a luthier in Minnesota. I keep it in Florida for gigs down there - I'm down there a few times a year.
[/quote]

Great rig! I used the GK combo for years and you still can't beat it for weight and size. With the extension it sounded even better. I also love obligatos and often think about revisiting them. I think they sound great when they are new. Also lovley under the bow. A lot of people didn't like the string roll but I actually quite liked it.

5-8 mm is a great string hight and I'm guessing it means your bass is set up really well.
Are you happy with the Shen?

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1356087128' post='1906576']
Great rig! I used the GK combo for years and you still can't beat it for weight and size. With the extension it sounded even better. I also love obligatos and often think about revisiting them. I think they sound great when they are new. Also lovley under the bow. A lot of people didn't like the string roll but I actually quite liked it.

5-8 mm is a great string hight and I'm guessing it means your bass is set up really well.
Are you happy with the Shen?
[/quote]

Yes, I love the Obligatos, and I switched to them originally because they do bow beautifully. But then I found that I also loved the very traditional pizz sound too.

All my bass work, including this set up, is done by Robert Ross, a master luthier here in Colorado area. He makes his own basses, which are incredible, but alas, beyond my budget.

I have been very happy with the CK set up when combined with the extension cab. It was only adequate prior to getting the extension cab, but that cab boosts the power to 150W and also adds a lot of room on the low end. The cab is 12 pounds, and the combo is 35 pounds, or something. Can't beat that.

I like the Shen a lot. I played it in Robert's showroom and was amazed at the punch and round openness of the sound for a new factory bass. And especially at that price point! The craftsmanship is very nice, and of course Robert did a great job with the set up on the nut, bridge, and scooping the fingerboard. He also, as a standard practice, upgrades the endpins and modifies the tailpiece, which helps.

The bass which is really amazing to me is that Eminence portable. Check out the youtubes of Marc Johnson playing his with John Abercrombie, or Esperanza Spalding, who also frequently travels with one. It is not an EUB. It is a fully acoustic bass, with the exact same construction, only a reduced size body. But it is fully acoustic - soundpost and everything. Wonderful invention for the traveling bassist that can be placed in its flight case in the overhead compartment of the airplane!

[quote name='4ropebottom' timestamp='1355970854' post='1905243']
Looks like that! By the way - I checked out those Paul Bryant basses on the web. BEAUTIFUL instruments. Being in the USA, I hadn't heard of them.

What do they generally go for, if they are in good shape?
[/quote]

I'd say Paul's prices are definitely below the odds considering the quality of sound his instruments produce. My bass cost £3800 but another Bryant owner advised me to insure it for much more as Paul prices his instruments to move. Paul uses less ornate wood than the majority of luthiers (though it depends on the instrument) so he can pass along that saving to the customer. I can't be sure but, being the owner of Paul Bryant's bass no.101 that I may own the very last bass he made before retirement. Mine is still very young at the moment but it produces a fantastic sound and is opening out nicely.

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1356630507' post='1911835']
@mtroun I too Own a Bryant (Soloist Model (No.96 2011) It is superb value for what they are...
Classical and a bit of jazz/blues
G10mm-E16mm string Height
Claude Marchand Bow
Belcanto strings Orchestral set
[/quote]
Wow, high action!
I've heard some say classical players generally employ a higher action than jazzers, but my friend who is a fantastic classical player employs a really low action on his Martin, I was making it buzz like crazy with my jazz technique.

Yeah looking at peoples string height Mine is double o.O!
Yeah, I wouldn't suggest raising it this high! Jazz on my bass isn't as smooth... too much Clarity in the strings due to the tension on the strings! I presume you picked up a solo model too? My tutor owns a Lott double bass and I was going to take Pauls Lott model when I was there earlier this year... but I am really glad i picked the smaller one as it makes a massive sound! :3

[quote name='4ropebottom' timestamp='1355599809' post='1900521']
Hello group. I'm new. Gotta a few questions:

1. What style of music do you play most often on double bass? Jazz, only jazz.
2. Given that, what string height do you use for each string? I have no idea. It's just easier than it used to be.
3. What brand/model of strings do you like? Evah Pirazzi Weichs (works with both arco and pizz but otherwise, my 'choice' is determined by the fact that I can't afford to experiment and, at this stage, can't tell the difference anyway!!)
4. What double bass pickup?
K&K Sound Double Big Twin Upright Bass Pickup
5. What amplification? Eden Metro (it was what I had for electric before I bought the double bass - does the trick)

Thanks!
[/quote]

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1356699556' post='1912549']
Yeah looking at peoples string height Mine is double o.O!
Yeah, I wouldn't suggest raising it this high! Jazz on my bass isn't as smooth... too much Clarity in the strings due to the tension on the strings! I presume you picked up a solo model too? My tutor owns a Lott double bass and I was going to take Pauls Lott model when I was there earlier this year... but I am really glad i picked the smaller one as it makes a massive sound! :3
[/quote]

Mine is also a solo model yes. The sound is definitely massive... I have raised the action a lot since I bought the bass to aim for a big, classic straight-ahead jazz pizz sound. It's hard if you're not used to it but I don't find it hard to play.