Why become a member? ×

French or German?!

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1356960704' post='1915606']
Can't go wrong!
[/quote] Thats sorted then thanks :)

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1356961334' post='1915616']
I've got one of these, and good players who have tried it say it's excellent for the money.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-Model-Carbon-Fiber-Double-Bass-Bow-French-/150580744560?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item230f4fd170"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item230f4fd170[/url]

Posted from China, but arrived very quickly.

You might want to check out Rabbath's Art of the Bow video, if you can get it. Very helpful (although I can't imagine what t would take to get me bowing reliably. :))
[/quote] Thats very pretty!

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1356968694' post='1915795']
Yeh they are good those bows for the money.... But if you have the money get a Claude Marchand
[/quote]
Maybe once I can use it I will upgrade to something better ;)

Jumping straight in at the deep end (only joined forum today) I would say it doesn't really matter whether it is French or German bow, they both do the job but it does depend on which EUB you have. Some really are not suited to being played arco at all, great for that jazz pizz style but almost impossible to get a good sound with the bow. Which EUB do you have?

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1356961334' post='1915616']
I've got one of these, and good players who have tried it say it's excellent for the money.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-Model-Carbon-Fiber-Double-Bass-Bow-French-/150580744560?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item230f4fd170"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item230f4fd170[/url]

Posted from China, but arrived very quickly.

You might want to check out Rabbath's Art of the Bow video, if you can get it. Very helpful (although I can't imagine what t would take to get me bowing reliably. :))
[/quote]
+1 on the French Carbon Fibre bow from YitaMusic, they also do a German model, and similar bows of a slightly lower spec.

[quote name='Bass Lady' timestamp='1357055697' post='1916855']
Jumping straight in at the deep end (only joined forum today) I would say it doesn't really matter whether it is French or German bow, they both do the job but it does depend on which EUB you have. Some really are not suited to being played arco at all, great for that jazz pizz style but almost impossible to get a good sound with the bow. Which EUB do you have?
[/quote]
I went for the Stagg as it is one that can be played arco, I have done all the mods now too except the string swap then it will be awesome :D

[quote name='27 frets' timestamp='1357057243' post='1916887']
+1 on the French Carbon Fibre bow from YitaMusic, they also do a German model, and similar bows of a slightly lower spec.
[/quote]

I will have another look at those then if there is lower spec version, I really have gas for a nice bow now, terrible isnt it? :lol:

What do we think of this then, its a bit more than the Thomann one I like but from Yitamusic? :)
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Standard-Model-Carbon-Fiber-Double-Bass-Bow-French-/140358033272?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item20adfd9f78"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Standard-Model-Carbon-Fiber-Double-Bass-Bow-French-/140358033272?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item20adfd9f78[/url]

The body cavity is very poorly shielded which is why they hum, the end pin resonates in the hole when half out which is the worst thing really, the easiest fix is just a chunk of foam behind the bridge to stop the strings playing themselves! Nut needed a little file down and some people have had really bad strings from new, mine are OK as far as I can tell some have had lumps in them! Once the mods are done most folk that have tried all the budget options reckon its the best where the harley benton and similar versions sound better out of the box, an afternoons tinkering and its pretty good. :)

This is my noob thread about it, see the pics at the end for mods ;)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194276-just-ordered-my-first-eub-total-noob-what-have-i-done/"]http://basschat.co.u...at-have-i-done/[/url]

Have you got an elec upright? I know they are a poor mans (womens :) ) version of a DB but I cant warrant the real deal unless I can play a bit at least, general opinion is that the Stagg is close enough to be able to learn the basics at least, ones with a flat board or super low action are not going to help me play a real brute in future, I have it setup fairly high to not get into that trap :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Thanks for the link Pete, just had a quick read. I think the problem I found when playing a Stagg (long time ago, memory like a sieve) was that the bridge was very flat so when playing with the bow I kept catching 2 strings. I do seem to remember it being "an odd" bridge, not a normal db bridge and didn't fancy trying to re-shape it at the time, plus the bass didn't actually belong to me.

Can you post a pic of the bridge?

These days after dreaming about owning one for a very long time I've got a Bridge electric double bass which is probably one of the closest electrics to playing an acoustic bass.

Edited by Bass Lady

Oh thats gorgeous! :gas:

I dont mind having a bash with the chisel and files, I can see that the A and D strings will take some control to bow independantly as it is, I need to get this bow now and try :)

As you can see from my sig I dont mind paying out for decent gear so if in a year or twos time I am still playing it as often as I am now then I will be on the hunt for something better, always a fine balance of having something too cheap that it cant be played and putting the person off and being sensible cost wise I guess. I do like the Yamaha silent basses so a used one of those might be the next step.

Cool, let us know how you get on.

The Yamaha does play very well with a bow and of course has the advantage of being collapsable but if given the choice (and of course a little more for the budget) I would opt for the Bridge bass every time, apart from the beauty aspect, it is a much better / easier / closer to acoustic instrument to play.

Beware, once you start with the bow you enter the world of weird and wonderful - where you get to ask the question French or German and don't necessarily mean Alps! :gas:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1358367694' post='1938031']
I have took the foil off it to get at it is that right? Such a noob I am sorry :)
[/quote]

Take the foil off and score the top with a key or something similar a couple of times to break the surface. In the days when I tried to play violin there were long and complicated rituals for the first rosin of a bow, these days all I do is make sure that I rub the first application in very heavily and I probably over rosin for the first few times. In theory once you've got the hairs well covered then each time you only have to apply a little to renew the grip. It's very much a "feel" thing, if your bow is skating across the string and making little sound you probably need more rosin (or adjust the tension of your bow).

Have fun

Steve