Why become a member? ×

French or German?!

stingrayPete1977

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely cut off the upturned edges of the rosin with a sharp Stanley knife so that its a flat level surface and scratch up the super shiny surface otherwise it just won't load onto your bow !!

An important thing with rosin is to make sure its not been in the shop for a couple of years - it needs to be fresh. Personally I am not so keen on Nymans although many swear by it . You could try out the Gaston Brohan Oak Soft Plus ( takes about a week to arrive) http://www.gregorianstrings.com/order.html and this works well with all qualities of bow hair.

If you are still struggling to get to grips you could think about going to a luthier to re-hair with some mongolian black mare's hare (usually about £25) . It grips much better than white hair as its coarser and sometimes the Chinese imported bows don't come with very nice hair. It takes a while to get to know how much rosin to apply but when you do its a fantastic feeling to hear the instrument come alive ...so hang in there !.

Quick update then, I have only had a few minutes here and there to practice with the bow but and its a big but, I am getting better with it! I really need to wait and see what Doddy wants me to do with it but I wont be having a lesson until after he gets back from a long running gig. I am not too sure how tight to have it but I am getting the resin to stick a bit more, maybe as its a brand new bow and brand new resin I need to get it nicely covered and evened out? :)

If the bow isn't tight enough it can be hard to isolate and play just one string. Theres a point where the tension in the bow quickly tightens as you turn the screw. I generally count about 4 turns past where I feel it tightening and that always seems to be about right. Its just a feel thing. Always best to loosen off the bow afterwards back past that bite point otherwise you will stretch the hair!

Is your bow skidding and hissing over the string? - the sound wants to be like an instant 'grunt' the second the bow comes into play. If it doesn't, then apply a bit more rosin and keep trying. When its right its a very grippy feeling. Experiment - the worst that can happen is that you clog the hairs with too much rosin and they are very easy to clean with Citrasolve. Good luck with it

Its a bit like learning to drive - once you get the hang it becomes invisible ! Make sure that your tip doesn't drop as you play - it might help if you can find your reflection in a window or a well placed mirror to check that!

Have fun!

Edited by ubassman

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1359558314' post='1956608']
Yep a mirror is one of the best practice tools, spend your first couple of weeks playing in front of one to make sure nothings going askew. You can keep an eye on your fingers as well as your bowing technique.
[/quote]
I have actually got a long mirror on the landing opposite where I practice so I will move out onto there :)

Funnily enough I used to find myself sat with my acoustic bass guitar sat playing on the top step of the landing - seems to amplify the sound !! Since moving, I am really lucky to have discovered the wonders of playing in a large bay window ...its my den, brilliantly loud acoustics and if I need to get some 'self-check' feedback I get to see everything reflected from 3 angles!.

I abandoned bowing while getting left hand and pizz together, and I'm glad I did. I would have had a nervous breakdown attempting that many new things at the same time.

But, two and a half years in now, and it's time to pick it up. So last night I watched Rabbath's 'Art of the Bow' DVD again. Honestly, anyone starting to bow should beg, borrow or erm... borrow that thing.

Very, very practical while being utterly inspiring. :)

• 4 weeks later...

[size=5][sub]Looks like i am having to buy a bow.[/sub]
[sub]After reading the thread i'll have to wait for the tutor to get back to me.[/sub]
[sub]then i'll make an un-educated decision.[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]10 seconds after i posted this my Tutor got back to me and its French. [/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]with a PS Brazillian wood is very good.[/sub][/size]

:blink: crap im going to have to make more than an educated decision arent I

Edited by Owencf

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1362173653' post='1996902']
Don't by the nyman rosin online either, im not happy with mine :(
[/quote]

And I thought my probs would be solved by fresh pops. I keep reading that it's sticky and wondering what people are talking about. This is the second pot (from a different supplier) that's hard, barely sticky and seems to just dust the strings.

This is driving me nuts, as I'm fairly sure my technique isn't all that bad.