Why become a member? ×

French or German?!

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1362237688' post='1997393'] I thought my probs would be solved by fresh pops. I keep reading that it's sticky and wondering what people are talking about. This is the second pot (from a different supplier) that's hard, barely sticky and seems to just dust the strings
[/quote]

Isn't that what rosin is supposed to do? My pops isn't sticky either (in normal weather) but the dust it leaves on my bow makes the hair sticky.

It's not like you want an actual layer of toffee on your bow.

Trust me it works... I find Nymans a powdery mess and not the best to grip strings... Apply sparingly after your bow has some "gunk" in it already... Remember to play the bass with no rosin swiped that day as it might be fine! if it needs more.. swipe it once... test... if a little more.. then add... As you don't want a build up of clumps of rosin etc..

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1362165550' post='1996749']
Hey Owen those Yita music bows that I got recommended on here are really nice and mine came pretty quick too, I think wood of any type might be left in favour of carbon if its less than a few hundred quid :)
[/quote]

+1

I've got a Yita bow too. Quite often use it instead of my £2500 bow!

Regarding the Nymans, I have used it for years and have always found it sticky. Saying that I haven't bought a new pot for a while so maybe they have changed the formular. The Nymans cello rosin is very powdery but that is how cello or violin rosin should be, but not bass rosin.

Once did a masterclass with a bassist (who was the teacher of a fellow BCer) who swore that you should only put rosin on your bow if it was raining that day! Can picture her saying it right now, almost 30 years ago! We were all shocked!!! lol :lol:

Another little anictdote. Doing an outdoor gig in the middle of a very hot summer, had my rosin (Nymans) in my trouser pocket. After standing in the sun, worrying about my bass in the direct sunlight, for a few hours, didn't realise the rosin had completely melted and run down my leg (through the material of the pocket) eeeewwwww......... :o

Edited by Bass Lady

Will be buying the recommended french Yita bow, Though i am nervous about starting lessons as i have not been in any formal structured learning for over 14 years. just the unknown i suppose.
As for the rosin well ill have a look around and ask more people it seems to be horses for courses.

Also nervous and excited about the new bass, always a little worrying welcoming a new member to the family.
Cant wait for the look on my wifes face when she realises the enormity of the instrument, and the fact i cant sell my Stagg EUB :rolleyes:

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1362180972' post='1997007']And I wouldn't bother with Nymans... Go for Kolstein all weather... about £15 at the most!
For me I really like the grip it gives...[/quote]

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1362249552' post='1997609']Kolstein all weather +1 buy now....[/quote]

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1362500513' post='2000259']Lol kolstein! Works therefore buy it...[/quote]

Is there a prize for getting Pete to buy the rosin we recommend? I suppose I could shout louder about Pops if there is.

I'm pretty sure that Kolstein isn't the only rosin that works.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1362244626' post='1997520']
Isn't that what rosin is supposed to do? My pops isn't sticky either (in normal weather) but the dust it leaves on my bow makes the hair sticky.

It's not like you want an actual layer of toffee on your bow.
[/quote]

Take your point, but in fact the hair never gets sticky at all.

I'm sure this is just me. It's what can happen when you don't have a teacher, I guess. As I said, youtube doesn't communicate concepts like 'sticky' very well. :)

Edited by fatback

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1362501294' post='2000278']

Is there a prize for getting Pete to buy the rosin we recommend? I suppose I could shout louder about Pops if there is.

[/quote]
Well I was originally thinking Pops! Why cant things be simple? :D

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1362501294' post='2000278']

[/quote]

Well dude, Am only suggesting a solid product used by many professionals... Oh wait here's a link to a player who uses the same product... ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4fV0BkL7Iw
Am trying to save people's money and wasted time on products I've used and not got on with...
It's a forum to help people. However Use any rosin.. end of the day its all about the weight and relaxation in your arms...
Matt is the loudest double bass player in London due to his complete relaxation in his arm! So anyways... Goodluck!

Edited by FLoydElgar

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1362516755' post='2000733']Am trying to save people's money and wasted time on products I've used and not got on with...
[/quote]

Fair enough. I once tried a precision bass and didn't like it.

Point being there are opinions and there are truths. I just find it's better to offer an opinion than try to convince someone of a truth.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Pete, can you describe the Nymans to me. Is it shiny and almost brittle at the top? I know in the past, I have been quite brutal, pressing the bow down and dragging it along the edge of the rosin so it starts to round it off a bit. Little bits will flake off but don't worry about that. Also, is the foil wrapping still on it, I never remove it completely, just rip it down enough to use but be careful of sharp bits left sticking up. If all else fails, leave on top of a radiator for a little while just to warm / soften it a little bit, be careful though, don't want it melting.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1362774672' post='2004755']
Well fate has decided, I was about to order on or the other then found a pot of Pops in the gig bag with my new Gedo bass! :)
[/quote]

Brilliant, you can tell me how sticky it is or isn't. Graphic imagery is ok. These are desperate times. :D