Why become a member? ×

Envelope filters, so many choices, I'm lost!

alstocko

Been through quite a few personally.

Groove Regulator - brilliant; should definitely be on your 'must try' list.

DOD FX 25 (and B) - much less versatile, and you'll need to spend some time learning to play them to get the most out of them. The FX25 has a real volume spike towards the bottom of its sweep, so best used of fast notes or in conjunction with a compressor.

Q-Tron - Funky filters, but have a tendency to produce said volume spikes.

Bassballs - not one that I got on with personally. Kind of fun to play with, but not the classic 'quacking' sound that most players associate with filters.

Various Wah pedals - you'll lose mobility as you need to be working the pedal whenever you need a filter. Good for sweeping over long, repetitive passages. Also not good if oyu fall over a lot when stood on one leg... :blush:

Hope this helps.

I've been on filter hunts for years and always keep coming back to my Electro Harmonix Mini Q-Tron's. Big boxes which is a pain in the butt, but there's just something about them that makes it all worthwhile and I just can't find in other pedals. Had a 3LeafAudio Proton, an EBS Bass IQ (twice), an EHX BassBalls, an MXR Bass Auto Q, DigiTech SynthWah and probably more that I've forgotten.

My one reservation with the Mini Q-Tron is that, like so many EHX pedals, they're just not the most reliable. (The volume spike issue is easily resolved with a volume pot mod). So, what's been satisfying me the most lately, and available brand new for the measly sum of about £68, is the Carl Martin Classic Optical Envelope pedal. Makes me smile. A lot. Not well known - couldn't find any bass videos on Youtube. Already have a Carl Martin Optical Compressor and love it, so took a punt on the Envelope pedal - was so not disappointed.

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1357292646' post='1920364']
As the title says, I've been looking at getting an envelope filter to fill up my pedalboard and give that funk into my tone.

The problem is, there's so many! Janek is swearing by the DOD FX25 (older version without blend) but I'd like to see what you guys think.

I'd like to spend less than £100 in the preowned market, and another notable point is that I use flatwounds on my bass, anyone here used that with a funk box?
[/quote]

were you willing to up the price point, an Iron Ether Xerograph deluxe would be the darkest and funkiest of choices.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1359064454' post='1949450']
oooohhh ! but, how about that for a bargain !

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/197695-3leaf-audio-groove-regulator-i-75l-posted/"]http://basschat.co.u...r-i-75l-posted/[/url]
[/quote]

I saw that too - nice piece of kit for little monies...

Owned a lot of them and always came back to my trusty old 3Leaf GR1. Let me see if i can remember the entire list...

Digitech BSW
Boss AW-3
EHX Bassballs
EHX Bass MicroSynth
3Leaf GR1
3Leaf Proton
3Leaf Wonderlove
MXR Envelope Filter
Zoom 506 Multifx
...i'm forgetting a couple of them...

In sum the key factor here is for you to discover the kind of sound you're looking for. For me the Lovetone Meatball is the sound i love and the reason i always came back to the GR1, the other pedals are modded on the Mutron III sound and i find it too harsh (quacky) for my taste. The Lovetone has a phatter and groovier sound.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1359063102' post='1949417']
I've been on filter hunts for years and always keep coming back to my Electro Harmonix Mini Q-Tron's. Big boxes which is a pain in the butt, but there's just something about them that makes it all worthwhile and I just can't find in other pedals. Had a 3LeafAudio Proton, [u][b]an EBS Bass IQ (twic[/b][/u]e), an EHX BassBalls, an MXR Bass Auto Q, DigiTech SynthWah and probably more that I've forgotten.
[/quote]

Hi Gareth, I’m after an envelope filter myself. Do you think the EBS Bass IQ keeps the low end well?

I’m after a very subtle sweep on top of my sound really, and was wondering if that’s something you can control with the Threshold knob.

Cheers mate

[quote name='Muri' timestamp='1414149789' post='2586405']

Hi Gareth, I’m after an envelope filter myself. Do you think the EBS Bass IQ keeps the low end well?

I’m after a very subtle sweep on top of my sound really, and was wondering if that’s something you can control with the Threshold knob.

Cheers mate
[/quote]

Sounds like you need something with a clean blend...

If you have a passive or not-too-hot output bass, a good and cheap option is the Ashdown Envelope Filter. I use it for a couple of covers, and sits very well in the mix for me. Not good with high output basses though, can't modulate the effect too well

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1357314660' post='1920880']

Whereas I think the low-pass on a Q-Tron is the funkiest sound you can get from just a filter on bass.
[/quote]

I really like the Q-Tron model from the Zoom B1Xon (also B3, MS60-B, etc). Anyone directly compared the digital model to the real thing?

The best Filter I've used (and still do) is the MXR BEF, sounds great, very versatile, love it.
A surprise for me was the DOD FX-25B, not so versatile, and a very slight gain drop, but excellent sound, it's my go-to backup.
That said, I've yet to gig a Groove Regulator, and very interested to do so!

Si

I've had a fair few filters over the years.

Some I've sold:
EHX Q-Tron
3Leaf
Bassballs
Mooer Bass Sweeper
Digitech
Dod

I also had an original 70s Mutron III in its original box (with warranty cards) which I actually gave away to a friend about 3 years ago.

I'm interested in the MXR Filter. Has anyone tried the Carl Martin Optical Envelope Filter?

I have a micro Q-Tron, which is a superb sounding envelope filter but as others have said, the volume spike makes it pretty much unusable in a live setting. It also developed some kind of fault where it will drain a battery from new within a few hours, even when the cable is disconnected and not in use.

Edited by 40hz

I solve the volume spike by putting my Q-Tron in a loop with an MS60B set to tame the volume. I also use the Zoom to fine tune the EQ of the Q-Tron. A blending loop pedal could work well here too.
Volume spikes & drops from pedals are no reason not to use them, there's always a solution to make them useable.

I e always loved my original FX25 but as others have said it's a one trick pony. It also reacts very differently to different instruments so when I had several basses it sounded great with the active Vigier but quite thin and subtle on my Marleaux.

The main reason I like it is that when the signal going into the pedal pushes the unit it makes a nice squelch rather than some filters like the Q-tron that tend to whistle.

The resale on them is good so I'd say buy one and try it. If you don't like it you can sell it again.

I'm on my mobile so can't see your full profile but if you're in or near York you're welcome to borrow mine.

Cheers

Edit: ah just noticed the dates