Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a strap

franzbassist

Been strap shopping so thought I'd resurrect an old yet relevant thread.

I happily gigged my 11lb P for eleven years with a thin leather strap (Duck, Son & Pinker written on it - great name) but for the last two years I've almost exclusively been playing my lighter W&T bass with a nice thick leather Bear strap.

However, two weeks ago I managed to cycle very quickly into a tree and pop my shoulder (AC) joint, and there is an associated muscular pain down the left shoulder blade, especially with fatigue.

So, with a long gig coming up, I thought it would be prudent to get a more comfortable strap. I'd go for the Mono but really dislike the look, and then saw great comments about the Neotech Mega Bass strap. Just ordered one £30 posted from Amazon.

Here's hoping it does the job!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1412524430' post='2569567']
The Neotech is a good strap - I used one for a few years. Had to have it modified by the local seamstress to shorten it because it was too long for me... but I don't think you'll be disappointed. Very comfortable.
[/quote]

Thanks, that's reassuring. My Bear strap is spot on for me at around 48", which sits nicely within the Nanoweb's specified range.

I've had two Neotech straps now and won't buy a third. Both have suffered the same fault after a reasonable period of use ( after 12 months or so) where the neoprene separates from the plastic end caps and comes apart. Maybe it's my playing/wearing style but either way, it's no good for me. Much prefer my Comfort Strapp which has lasted ages and shows no signs of giving up.

Well, I had gone for a cheapest online price, but I've cancelled it now as they were showing no sign of dispatching the strap! Ordered from Bass Direct who assure they are sending it tonight.

A lesson that a couple of extra quid is worth it for the superior customer service.

Edited by Roland Rock

I have all heavy basses and bought about 4 Minator leather straps over the past couple of years or so for different basses and they are great, nice soft padded leather on the inside.
Also got one from Bayus http://bayus.eu/comfort/ when they had a stall on the Birmingham Guitar Show earlier this year. I think they are Hungarian and the quality is superb.

Prior leather straps I got were the soft padded leather from Leathercraft Liverpool, they are really soft, wide and have a suede inner lining which stops the bass moving about if that's what your need is.

Well, I gigged the Neotech mega last night. It's really comfy. I can't tell whether my shoulder is healing well, or if the strap is great, or both, but no pain at all today after soundcheck and 2 x 45 min sets.

I'll definitely keep hold of this, especially for the P, which will feel like an anchor when I play it again, in comparison to the chambered Ergon.

• 2 months later...