Why become a member? ×

Strings (sorry!)

stingrayPete1977

D'addario Preludes are "student" steel core orchestral strings. Nowhere near comparable with Helicores.

If you want a REALLY easy playing set of strings on the cheap, look at Alice strings on ebay. Bought a set to pop on a hybrid bass for a local high school - really surprised me - especially for about £20!!! . Decent sound, and you could forget you were playing - that easy! It was a 3/4 bass, and they only had 4/4 strings in stock at the time, so the tension was a smidge TOO low, but if they had been 3/4s they'd have been spot on!

I've got 4/4 spirocore mediums on my 3/4 eub. They've been fantastic, play well, sound great through the mag pickup, have low enough tension for quick slapping and have been on for over 5 years.

Yes I am loving it! My reading has improved a lot too, so much to learn all at one time, I either read and play badly or play quite well but just playing along with songs I know trying to hit the notes bang on, I also want to revisit a book I have on scales and I am still waiting for my Rufus Reid book to arrive! Then there will be the bow and maybe some more books with suitable bow music in :lol:

I think these Staggs are made by the double bass manufacturers subsidised by the string,bow and rosin people just to suck us in? It is working :lol:

How are you getting on with yours? have you been eyeing up that Framus in the for sale section?

Looked at the framus and weighing up the 400 mile journey to get it.
but ill see when the payslip arrives this month.might have to pass on i.

Aye getting new strings later this month, tutor next week.
I cant picture me Arco'in up...i prefer to get my fingers in :P, so dont have to worry too much about Rosin and bows

I got the Rufus Reid book but i really gotta work on my reading.

I doubt I could read along in any kind of gig capacity at all, I read a few bars at a time then loop it all together which has been useful for learning awkward songs and getting them as the record, 2 years ago I knew nothing at all!

Just been doing a bit actually and on one page which is just random crotchets across all four strings up to the 5th fret (?) and found a B# :lol: I know these double sharps and stuff exist but I doubt it would be in this novice book let alone this early a page! I guess someone pressed the # instead of the b, my other book has 2 quavers and 4 crotchets in one 4/4 bar too :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I guess I should be pleased with myself for firstly spotting it and secondly knowing that it does exist,I bet quite a few people would think you were having then on! I presume its in a scale that contains C and C# after that I'm a bit lost :)

Took both a normal bass and my up right to practice tonight and felt more comfortable on the upright! Although that was the first full practice on a normal bass since the start of November, in fact the first time playing for more than five mins, spending all my time on the db instead :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1357861204' post='1929850']

Took both a normal bass and my up right to practice tonight and felt more comfortable on the upright! Although that was the first full practice on a normal bass since the start of November, in fact the first time playing for more than five mins, spending all my time on the db instead :D
[/quote]

I'm nervous I'll be asked to play the bass guitar, it's so long since I've picked it up. db just swallows everything. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the strings then, I like them! Not a great deal of difference at home but I think maybe I dropped on a better set of Stagg strings than many others have and last weeks practice I found it much easier to EQ. The feel on your fingers is much nicer and the bass has a good even output all over, now it has all the Stagg mods done I am not sure what would be worth trading up to other than a real DB? :)

[quote name='fonzoooroo' timestamp='1357548741' post='1924155']
D'addario Preludes are "student" steel core orchestral strings. Nowhere near comparable with Helicores.

If you want a REALLY easy playing set of strings on the cheap, look at Alice strings on ebay. Bought a set to pop on a hybrid bass for a local high school - really surprised me - especially for about £20!!! . Decent sound, and you could forget you were playing - that easy! It was a 3/4 bass, and they only had 4/4 strings in stock at the time, so the tension was a smidge TOO low, but if they had been 3/4s they'd have been spot on!

I've got 4/4 spirocore mediums on my 3/4 eub. They've been fantastic, play well, sound great through the mag pickup, have low enough tension for quick slapping and have been on for over 5 years.
[/quote]

I just put a set of Alice strings on my EUB. Unfotunately my cutting them down went a bit wrong and the bottom E unwound and became unplayable. Which was annoying. Now I have to pay out for another E string. Bugger... will have to get 3/4 strings next time.
Other than that they seem nice.

• 8 years later...

The hilarious thing about this post is that I was searching the forums for a review of Alice double bass strings, since the ones on my EUB have started snapping.

Got very excited to find a post about them, and now I realise it was mine.

They do 3/4 now, will go and buy some

(Hi all, btw, been too long, I'm sorry, I've been busy on other stuff)