Why become a member? ×

New EBS Sheehan sig drive pedal

hamfist

Just pre-ordered one of these beauties from the US. Haven't been this excited about a pedal for quite a while.

[url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/ebs-sheehan.htm"]http://www.bestbassg...ebs-sheehan.htm[/url]

Apparently due out sometime later this month
Sounds stunning to me - see post #5. Admittedly it is using Billy's bass, but even so, I want one !

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1357497448' post='1923581']
Where did you hear it, online?
[/quote]

Sorry, I forgot to add the link. It;s here ...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anyPh51u3bA&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anyPh51u3bA&feature=youtu.be[/url]

I'm interested as I still very much love my Ampeg SVP-BSP. I don't use the 'Sheehan sound', which is very much to do with his basses too, but with my own set up, it sounds fantastic. I'd be very interested in a pedal sized unit and have seen the video already as well as a few other posting by Billy himself about the pedal. If it does the kinda drive I need, I can lose three other pedals on my board!

I am sure its a quality product. EBS make good kit and Sheehan would only put his name on something that he really believes in, his basses being a prime example. I have enough overdrives already, including two from EBS, I don't think I need another!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1357565092' post='1924493']
I'm interested as I still very much love my Ampeg SVP-BSP. I don't use the 'Sheehan sound', which is very much to do with his basses too, but with my own set up, it sounds fantastic. I'd be very interested in a pedal sized unit and have seen the video already as well as a few other posting by Billy himself about the pedal. If it does the kinda drive I need, I can lose three other pedals on my board!
[/quote]

I should never have sold my BSP!

Anyway, I bet the pedal has gone to EBS because Hartke won't build him a new rack unit like the BSP.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1357482273' post='1923165']
Just pre-ordered one of these beauties from the US. Haven't been this excited about a pedal for quite a while.

[url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/ebs-sheehan.htm"]http://www.bestbassg...ebs-sheehan.htm[/url]

Apparently due out sometime later this month
Sounds stunning to me - see post #5. Admittedly it is using Billy's bass, but even so, I want one !
[/quote]

Are they good people to order from in the US?

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1357592230' post='1925109']

I should never have sold my BSP!

Anyway, I bet the pedal has gone to EBS because Hartke won't build him a new rack unit like the BSP.
[/quote]

Or is it that Billy is looking to travel light these days? I see he's using the MXR Bass Compressor in tandem with the pedal too. If, for example he's doing clinics, i guess it'd be easier to roll up with a pedal version of his rack system? No idea, i've not had a chance to talk to him yet.

Ahhhh! The BSP! I made that mistake - I sold the first one I owned. Can't believe I was so daft. I did manage to pick up a second one here on BC and unless this new pedal is as amazing, i probably won't sell the BSP. I like the way that the EQs on both channels can be sculpted to get the mids to sit in the clean bass tone smoothly. That in a pedal would be great and so far, the Darkglass B3/B7 is the closest in a single pedal to do that, but lacks the amount of drive I need sometimes. Currently I blend and EQ pedal, Boss MT2 and soon a bit of compression via an LS-2 before feeding in to my B3. That works very well, but the MT2 will get customised when I have time again! A plan I started ages ago but never completed to add a blend in to the pedal as well as adjusting the 3-band EQ curves a bit.

Maybe if this new pedal works out, I'll have a load of stuff to sell! :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1357686012' post='1926912']

Just how distorted do you go? :o
[/quote]

Ha ha ha! Well, it's hard to explain really! It's also down to the type of distortion too. The drive I go for in this particular case is a really fine distortion, more akin to that of the rasp of bowing a cello than adding aggression. Lots of sustain and very smooth. It takes a bit of sculpting with my gear - and I wanna find a way of doing it with just a single pedal - but amazingly, my options had been turned down by a few builders!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1357760810' post='1928062']
Ha ha ha! Well, it's hard to explain really! It's also down to the type of distortion too. The drive I go for in this particular case is a really fine distortion, more akin to that of the rasp of bowing a cello than adding aggression. Lots of sustain and very smooth. It takes a bit of sculpting with my gear - and I wanna find a way of doing it with just a single pedal - but amazingly, my options had been turned down by a few builders!
[/quote]

Reading all that has really made me want to hear it! Have you got any samples? Or examples of other bass players who have a similar thing going on?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1357763813' post='1928131']

Reading all that has really made me want to hear it! Have you got any samples? Or examples of other bass players who have a similar thing going on?
[/quote]

There was a clip on YouTube of an ad-lib solo I did with a cover band - FOH was a bit trebly so it sounded less smooth than normal. i'll have to see if it's out there still!

Found it - this is the Ampeg BSP version, so it has 'that' character about it. I have more low mids in the clean mix now. This ad-lib is quite obviously ad-lib! Oooops!!

http://youtu.be/wJPlsco2Eno

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1357766752' post='1928210']
I can see the vid ok, how 'bout you now? Changed the setting from private.
[/quote]

Working fine now man, thanks for that!

Really liked that sound man, surprised to hear it's such a challenge to fit it all into one pedal! Is that mostly your BSP blended with a clean signal then?