Why become a member? ×

New Pics!!! 1979 Fender Precision Frettless rare Maple Board FINAL PRICE DROP!

KevinJazzBass

Hi guys,

I love this bass but I very rarely get to play is it as I work abroad and can only take one bass at a time.

The bass is not fully original.

The body (with pickup covers) and neck were purchased separately from Beedster and the sent to Howard the bass doc who sourced era correct pots, pick ups and supplied a badass bridge. Howard also arranged a refinish in trans red, I wanted the bass to look like Stings from The Police's first world tour (see the video at the bottom of the page). The pick guard was custom made by Howard and the tuners are reissue versions that were purchased new.

The bass comes now comes with a high quality Sadowsky Hard/soft case, so I would feel comfortable shipping the bass in the UK.

The bass sounds amazing and looks fantastic.

I have dropped the price to 850 pounds and I am looking for a cash only transaction, sorry, no trades.

If you have any questions or would like me to email more pictures to you then just get in touch.

[attachment=168116:IMG_0790.JPG]
[attachment=168117:IMG_0793.JPG]
[attachment=142835:IMG_2021.JPG]
[attachment=142840:IMG_2022.JPG]
[attachment=168115:IMG_0786.JPG]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqOR9vSRoWk[/media]

Edited by KevinJazzBass

I have to say that I had to think long and hard before selling that bass, and would probably still have it back if I only had a band! It is an outstanding example of one of the most iconic instruments Fender have ever made, with a very playable neck (with an incredible and sympathetic refin of the board by Martin Simms meaning that the playing surface is probably far better than when it left Fullerton), no doubt an equally good body refin by Howard, and a rather rare mix of good old PBass thump when you need it with some more interesting and less predictable tones (for example, I used it for a cover of 'Song from under the floorboards' by Magazine and it nailed the menacing and sinuous fretless tone to perfection).

The buyer won't be disappointed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='KevinJazzBass' timestamp='1378546321' post='2201609']
Thanks for the advice chris. But what is BBOT? I have the ashtrays here but I stupidly forgot to put them in the bass when I had borrowed my brothers camera for the day.

Anyway. Saturday bump!

Kev
[/quote]

Ha ha, sorry Kev, BBOT = bent bit of tin, a rather negative description of the original Fender bridge. To be honest, whilst I tend to prefer a Badass on fretted Precisions - especially if I'm using heavy flats that don't always intonate well up the neck - I prefer the BBOT bridge on fretless, to my ear it's a more authentic tone (and of course you don't have the same intonation problems with no frets). Also worth mentioning that the bridge ashtray won't fit over the Badass anyway!
Good luck with the sale, it's a lovely bass. The new owner will become a member of an elite club, there's not that many maple fretless Precisions about.

Chris

• 7 months later...

I used to own this neck - as is the way of BC; Chris traded it to me, and I later traded it back to him attached to a '79 ash body (not the one in the OP I think), and have to say it's quite phenomenally nice. Would be so tempted if had the moolah..... :rolleyes:

(Co-incidentally my one and only new bass purchase was also inspired by Sting, but it was a fretless Ibanez Musician B) )

Hi guys, just want to bump and let people know this is for sale, at 999 pounds you can get a great vintage bass for less than a grand. I would be interested in trades of an Aguilar tone hammer 500 head, or a similar markbass, both with some cash going my way.

Thanks for looking!

Kev

Edited by KevinJazzBass

• 3 weeks later...