Why become a member? ×

New Pics!!! 1979 Fender Precision Frettless rare Maple Board FINAL PRICE DROP!

KevinJazzBass

I'm very surprised this hasn't sold so I thought I'd link to a few posts from a while back

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1357688008' post='1926954']
I have to say that I had to think long and hard before selling that bass, and would probably still have it back if I only had a band! It is an outstanding example of one of the most iconic instruments Fender have ever made, with a very playable neck (with an incredible and sympathetic refin of the board by Martin Simms meaning that the playing surface is probably far better than when it left Fullerton), no doubt an equally good body refin by Howard, and a rather rare mix of good old PBass thump when you need it with some more interesting and less predictable tones (for example, I used it for a cover of 'Song from under the floorboards' by Magazine and it nailed the menacing and sinuous fretless tone to perfection).

The buyer won't be disappointed
[/quote]

Still very true :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1378302070' post='2198352']
Stick a BBOT bridge and both bridge and PUP ashtrays on that and it would look even better. Lovely lovely bass, really surprised it's still here especially given the rarity of the maple board
[/quote]

And I stand by that Kev, ashtrays on that bass would add to what is already a stunning aesthetic

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1397408674' post='2423645']
I used to own this neck - as is the way of BC; Chris traded it to me, and I later traded it back to him attached to a '79 ash body (not the one in the OP I think), and have to say it's quite phenomenally nice. Would be so tempted if had the moolah..... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Same body Greg, Kev had it refinished by the Bass Doc. You'll remember that the neck and body worked really quite nicely. I had this bass and the 4001FL at the same time and the only reason this went was because the 400FL really is that good a bass (in 20 years I've yet to find a bass to which I have such an affinity), but I do wish I could afford to keep both!

All the best with the sale Kev

C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1416169696' post='2607606']

Same body Greg, Kev had it refinished by the Bass Doc. You'll remember that the neck and body worked really quite nicely. I had this bass and the 4001FL at the same time and the only reason this went was because the 400FL really is that good a bass (in 20 years I've yet to find a bass to which I have such an affinity), but I do wish I could afford to keep both!

All the best with the sale Kev

C
[/quote]

........so an even more fab package than I'd first thought! :)

Kev knows I've been sorely tempted by this, and if I wasn't about to spend an arm and a leg to restore your old "Wazz" to orig spec, Chris (I'm going over to Electric Wood next week) I'd have had this a while ago. That 4003FL was something special, mind

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1416170634' post='2607624']
........so an even more fab package than I'd first thought! :)

Kev knows I've been sorely tempted by this, and if I wasn't about to spend an arm and a leg to restore your old "Wazz" to orig spec, Chris (I'm going over to Electric Wood next week) I'd have had this a while ago. That 4003FL was something special, mind
[/quote]

The 4003FL is still with me and ain't ever going anywhere again Greg. When are you going to EW, I'm gigging over that way next weekend (I think), would be great to catch up.

And back on topic, the Fretless Precision would make a nice foil to the Wazz :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1416170931' post='2607626']

The 4003FL is still with me and ain't ever going anywhere again Greg. When are you going to EW, I'm gigging over that way next weekend (I think), would be great to catch up.

And back on topic, the Fretless Precision would make a nice foil to the Wazz :)
[/quote]

You still gig since you became a TV star.......??? ;)
It'll be mid-week after the weekend unfortunately - another time! They don't allow Welsh in Surrey pubs anyway.......

Lol It sure would be a nice foil, but the re-fretted Wazz will be a pair with my '85 fretless Mk 1, reckon they'll be all I need

Co-incidentally I'd put the P body and neck together as a kind of re-creation of Sting's natural fretless P circa 1979, but it sure looks lush as the red version

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...