Why become a member? ×

new American Vintage Fenders...

GazWills

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1358363352' post='1937918']
Thumb style/plec action. How's that for pedantic.

Catalogue description - "ORIGINAL [b]THUMB[/b]REST P&J BASS BLACK TW P.N. 0992036000"

Let's all be pedants! What fun!

*smiley*

[/quote]
As I said before, the old catalogues (pre mid-70s when the rest was moved above the E string) used the term 'finger rest' not 'thumb rest', if they referred to the rest at all.

I don't really see what pedantry has to do with it.

Edited by EssentialTension

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1358276117' post='1936194'][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]oooooh!! [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/basses/?&series=American%20Vintage&brand=Fender"]http://www.fender.co...ge&brand=Fender[/url] very much like the sonic blue '63 P!!! pickups aren't 'custom shop' like the american standard though... <_< [/quote][/font][/size][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Better than that, they're said to be period correct - Custom Shop one's were merely generic. :) [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#222222][quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1358282437' post='1936386'] Like the 63 Precision - pop a tort pickguard on there, mmmmmmm. [/quote][/color][/font][/size][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Oh yes![/color] [/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#222222][quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1358288597' post='1936641'] I really like the look of the Precisions. No mention of a nitro finish in the specs though. The 57 and 62 seem to be taken off the site which is a shame IMO. They've hardly stopped them after 30 years have they? [/quote][/color][color=#000000]It’s mentioned on a separate page overviewing the series, to quote:[/color][/font][/size]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i][size=4][color=#000000]“[/color][color=#333333]The finishes on most new American Vintage guitars and basses consist of three coats: sealer, color and a topcoat, all of which are 100-percent nitrocellulose lacquer and are hence quite thin. This is a vintage-style finish treatment that lets an instrument "breathe" with a more natural resonance since it doesn't "constrain" the instrument's body as much as thicker and more confining modern finishes.”[/color] [/size][/i][/font]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#333333]Here: [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/series/american-vintage/"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/series/american-vintage/#[/url] [/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1358365677' post='1937969']
As I said before, the old catalogues (pre mid-70s when the rest was moved above the E string) used the term 'finger rest' not 'thumb rest', if they referred to the rest at all.

I don't really see what pedantry has to do with it.
[/quote]
You don't? :D

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1358380822' post='1938413']
The 74 jazz doesn't have a bullet trussrod in the photo even though it says it does in the blurb.

How did that happen? Is the pick a photoshop jobbie?

Frank.
[/quote]
BIt ambiguous innit, Frank?

I read the first paragraph as them explaining that late '74 was the time of introduction of that feature - tho' not specific to these models. The second paragraph clearly states the use of a four bolt neck which would imply truss rod adjustment at the heel.

The models demo'd in the videos don't have bullet russ rods, tho' I did notice they had the later Sans Serif logos where the still photos clearly show the earlier Serif logos.

I'm getting a bit of [s]a boner[/s] GAS for that blue P as it happens.

And the blue Jazz, of course. :P

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1358366077' post='1937979']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Better than that, they're said to be period correct - Custom Shop one's were merely generic. :) [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Oh yes![/color] [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]It’s mentioned on a separate page overviewing the series, to quote:[/color][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i][color=#000000]“[/color][color=#333333]The finishes on most new American Vintage guitars and basses consist of three coats: sealer, color and a topcoat, all of which are 100-percent nitrocellulose lacquer and are hence quite thin. This is a vintage-style finish treatment that lets an instrument "breathe" with a more natural resonance since it doesn't "constrain" the instrument's body as much as thicker and more confining modern finishes.”[/color] [/i][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#333333]Here: [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/series/american-vintage/"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/series/american-vintage/#[/url] [/color][/font]
[/quote]

Cool..thanks for the link.

Did anyone notice the ever so slightly odd nut width sizes on both Precisions? Is that period-correct too?

I still think it's a shame the '57 and '62 are gone.

I still want to know if the P comes with the covers already fitted. From the description in the specs it looks as if they are already screwed on. Mind you, it's all academic as I can't afford one anyway. However, who knows what the future may bring.

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1358413907' post='1938582']
I still want to know if the P comes with the covers already fitted. From the description in the specs it looks as if they are already screwed on. Mind you, it's all academic as I can't afford one anyway. However, who knows what the future may bring.
[/quote]

Yeah according to the description in looks like they're already mounted. Although it wouldn't bother me, I'd imagine a lot of people might not like the bridge cover and therefore might not like the 2 holes if they do remove it.

With regard to the holes thing....

Fender claim these instruments are more exacting replicas than even the original V series. By totally replicating the originals one would expect the holes to be there given the originals came with the tins fitted.

Anyone not wanting one with holes in it shouldn't be looking at basses claiming to replicate the originals - just get yourself a current standard. Voila, no holes!

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1358413250' post='1938572']
Cool..thanks for the link.

Did anyone notice the ever so slightly odd nut width sizes on both Precisions? Is that period-correct too?

I still think it's a shame the '57 and '62 are gone.
[/quote]
Hey Paddy, I just measured the nut on my AV '62 P & it's 1.765" or 44.83mm, so a little over the stated 1&3/4" even!

Cheerz, John

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1358413250' post='1938572']
[/quote]

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1358444742' post='1939363']
I just measured the nut on my AV '62 P & it's 1.765"
[/quote]
My '62 is 1.749".

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1358444742' post='1939363']
Hey Paddy, I just measured the nut on my AV '62 P & it's 1.765" or 44.83mm, so a little over the stated 1&3/4" even!

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

Hi John! Interesting that the stated figures aren't even quite right. I just thought it looked a bit strange to not see the usual 1.75, 1.625, 1.5 etc

I really like the look of all the Precisions, but the Sonic Blue really does it for me. It's great to see them trying to move more towards the vintage correct specs...the clay dots being a welcome touch. I do remember a fellow BC'er telling me that the original AVRI's were based off vintage basses they bought, whereas the JV's were built of the blue prints! I suppose there were so many variations back in the day it might be hard to say what was standard.

I also saw that Thomann have slightly reduced the prices on the current AVRI's...might be a good time to nab one of them too.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1358500111' post='1940177']
I thought "blowing out" meant "turning down". At least it used to.
[/quote]

Rather than " blowing out " , I think he meant " knocking out " , but that can have other connotations too ie they're nice basses but I wouldn't go that far !

Is it me or are the pickup covers larger than standard on the two P Basses?

On the tugbar question - I have a '63 original J and I love the way the tort pick guard has shrunk and shows indentations for the tugbar. The original tugbar has also gone out of shape and kinda bent inwards from the screw holes. The indentation in the guard perfectly matches this and shows how these have aged over nearly 50 years :)

I have a '65 as well and, although there's some shrinkage, it's nowhere near as much as the '63.

I'd never take these off though!

• 3 years later...