Why become a member? ×

new American Vintage Fenders...

GazWills

oooooh!!

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/basses/?&series=American%20Vintage&brand=Fender"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/basses/?&series=American%20Vintage&brand=Fender[/url]

very much like the sonic blue '63 P!!!

pickups aren't 'custom shop' like the american standard though... <_<

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1358278073' post='1936256']
Tell me, how do you use the finger rest at the bottom of the strings? Do you rest your little finger on it or something?
[/quote]
It's called a tugbar. See Brian Wilson demonstrating it here:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=654H4xfDYKM[/media]

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1358280706' post='1936333']
It gets in my way when I am using a pick as my last two fingers hit it. It is pointless to me as I have never once used it and probably never will and certainly wouldn't have it on there from new by choice.
[/quote]
Then don't buy an American Vintage '58 or '62 or '63 or '64. Get the '74 with the thumb rest above the strings which always would get in my way.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1358280893' post='1936341']
Then don't buy an American Vintage '58 or '62 or '63 or '64. Get the '74 with the thumb rest above the strings which always would get in my way.
[/quote]

Hahaha, I think it looks cool on or off, the more holes in the scratchplate the better - just wish they had the mutes by the bridge so there would be even more holes when I didn't need them. Seriously though, I've owned 2 American Vintage Fender's and neither were worth £1,700.

The bridge and pickup covers that came with my 62 reissue were unmounted. However, when you read the specs for the 63 reissue it states that the covers are mounted. If this means that the bass comes with the covers already fitted then I think that is a shame as why create the holes for the covers when there are those of us who would rather not have the covers in place.

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1358279629' post='1936292'] Looked like he was just strumming his thumb downwards..... rather than first/second finger upwards? [/quote]
It's not really called a tug-bar - that's a nouveau-colloquialism that has sprung up over the years describing the way many people utilised it's position. Conversely you can call it a finger rest; it's catalogue description is 'thumb rest'.

In the vid above, you'll see Mr Wilson has one finger over and finger under utilising it to steady the plec action.

It was put there by Messrs Fender and Tavares as it was precluded that more former guitar players would switch to or double on bass, an assumption being that players would use a plectrum and that this would aid those people.

Finger style precluded it's use and made it pretty redundant - tho' I always keep mine on there for the sake of the original aesthetic.

Edited by mckendrick

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1358357094' post='1937749']
It's not really called a tug-bar - that's a nouveau-colloquialism that has sprung up over the years describing the way many people utilised it's position. Conversely you can call it a finger rest; it's catalogue description is 'thumb rest'.

In the vid above, you'll see Mr Wilson has one finger over and finger under utilising it to steady the plec action.

It was put there by Messrs Fender and Tavares as it was precluded that more former guitar players would switch to or double on bass, an assumption being that players would use a plectrum and that this would aid those people.

Finger style precluded it's use and made it pretty redungant - those I always keep mine on there for the sake of the original aesthetic.

[/quote]
Agreed that 'tugbar' is a more recent formulation but the old catalogues I've seen call it, if they mention it at all, a 'finger rest' not a 'thumb rest'.

And I think Wilson used his thumb not a plectrum.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1358359871' post='1937826']
Agreed that 'tugbar' is a more recent formulation but the old catalogues I've seen call it, if they mention it at all, a 'finger rest' not a 'thumb rest'.

And I think Wilson used his thumb not a plectrum.
[/quote]
Thumb style/plec action. How's that for pedantic.

Catalogue description - "ORIGINAL [b]THUMB[/b]REST P&J BASS BLACK TW P.N. 0992036000"

Let's all be pedants! What fun!

*smiley*

Edited by mckendrick