Why become a member? ×

D'Addario Balanced Tension Strings

thodrik

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1365688945' post='2042956']
It sounds to me like he bought the wrong set.
[/quote]

All of the BT sets significantly reduce/increase tension on strings in order to balance the tension (as shown in the diagrams on their website - http://www.daddario.com/balanced_tension.page) so some alteration would be needed I suspect.

BT sets on guitar do indeed throw the setup out the window. My A string now sits lower than all the other strings. And because the floating trem is such a temperamental thing, it throws the entire bridge out. It's not something you couldn't sort in a few minutes with an allen key and a screwdriver though. I've just left mine, because i'll probably not buy balanced tension next time.

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting the thread a bit here!

I have been using the 120 - 50 sets for the past few months in D standard/drop C. When tuning down, I really do believe that balanced tension is the way to go, as it avoids the tight 'G' string, loose 'E' string problem I have generally had with 'heavy' string gauges which are generally around 55-110. Its not that the DR DDTs (55-115) I was using before were bad, its just that I thought that the high 'G' was pretty damn tight relative to the low 'E'. In terms of standard tuning I'm still happy with normal 45-105 gauges as I find the mismatched tensions more manageable.

I have also put a 50-120 set on my five string and added 145 for a low A string. It isn't exactly balanced but it works a lot better than the five string 55-135 set I was using before.

Being picky I would like like a five string set and for the sets to be available in Prosteels. Also, I don't think that they stay as bright for as the DRs. For the price though I don't really have any real complaints.

For guitar, I've had the best luck with D'Addario XL115W blues-jazz with wound 3rd as the most balanced set that still retains consistent tone from string to string. For bass, I've been custom ordering 45-60-80-105 in various makes and models of strings, since the early '90's until Fender (9050CL flats), D'Addario and Circle K came out with their "balanced" sets, as if it were something "new."

Just fitted a set of the EXL220BTs (40 55 70 95) to the Spector to try them out as they are broadly similar in gauge to the TIs on my fretless basses. Initial impression is good, but I need more playing time as I haven't really used roundwound strings for a couple of years.

I also have a set of the EXL170BTs going onto a fretted bass currently WIP at ACG.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this.

Just fitted a set to my Roadworn P, and I really, really like them.

The Roadworn feels best with a low action, and it can cope well with one, but I am no stranger to the floppy E string problem. I don't usually like to raise the E at the bridge to compensate, I just try and play around it, as I really like the way a low action feels on this guitar.

Pleased to say though that the balanced tension set seem to have solved this problem! Slight trussrod tweak needed to compensate for the slightly heavier all round gauge, but with the same relief as before and the same low action, all the strings feel equal in tension and no floppy E string!

If you like a really low action I can't recommend them enough.

Soundwise, they're D'addario's!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1390571807' post='2347014']
Just reviewing stuff again - the 45-107 gauges are all very well, but looking at the measured tensions of each strings, a 110 string tuned to E looks like it would be a closer tension to a 45 G string. Why the addition of a 'new' gauge?
[/quote]

Maybe they're factoring compliance into it as well? I got a custom balanced tension set of Newtones for my 6 string, and the low A string was too tight, and the top strings felt much more flexible, perhaps a little too much!

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1390572212' post='2347024']
that 105 can sometimes get a little slack...
[/quote]

I've got a 105 tuned to Eb, and it just about manages C#. I've just switched to round cored DRs which feel a little floppier. Maybe if your bass has the option of stringing through bridge or body, you cab just have the one string through the body to make it feel less loose?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1390578537' post='2347177']
By the way, I enquired with D'addario about a Stainless Steel balanced set. They just replied:

'Probably not. If we do it'll be a while before we can delve into that scenario Maybe end of the year.'

:-/
[/quote]

Strange reply, since the balanced tension strings aren't exactly completely new like the new 'flexsteels', but rather their standard strings in different gauges. Essentially all they have to do is just pick their gauges and packaging and they are pretty much there.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit surprised no one has posted this up here, quite an interesting read on string tension, (even if he is overly cocky and condescending)
http://zacharyguitars.com/Strings.htm

I currently have set the Dadario 5 string balanced set on my bass and feel that the B string is still a bit loose, might try a larger gauge B string and see if it's any better (if it'll fit in my bridge)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1391467671' post='2357607']
Strange reply, since the balanced tension strings aren't exactly completely new like the new 'flexsteels', but rather their standard strings in different gauges. Essentially all they have to do is just pick their gauges and packaging and they are pretty much there.
[/quote]

You could alway create your own set from single strings. Alternatively Circle K do steel BT sets or Ken Smith.

I've been thinking some more about this...

Balanced tension is all very well, but we feel compliance as much as tension, and while tension is easy to know - it's directly related to the scale length, unit mass of the string and the tuning of the open string, compliance very much depends on a whole range of factors that are outside the control of the string manufacturers such as the design of the bridge and the headstock. I'm now wondering if the odd string tensions that we see in a "standard" set of strings are to compensate for the changes in compliance caused by the different break angles present on a typical Fender headstock design?

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1393176922' post='2377011']
I'm a bit surprised no one has posted this up here, quite an interesting read on string tension, (even if he is overly cocky and condescending)
[url="http://zacharyguitars.com/Strings.htm"]http://zacharyguitars.com/Strings.htm[/url]

I currently have set the Dadario 5 string balanced set on my bass and feel that the B string is still a bit loose, might try a larger gauge B string and see if it's any better (if it'll fit in my bridge)
[/quote]
Wow that guy is hilarious, but unfortunately the funniest bits are unquoteable.

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1393176922' post='2377011']
[/quote]

Can you provide a link the the 5-string Balanced Tension set you have? Last time I looked at Balanced Tension strings to get the B-string even in the same ballpark tension as the others would require something massive, or a complete set of floppy strings.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1394998927' post='2397629']
Can you provide a link the the 5-string Balanced Tension set you have? Last time I looked at Balanced Tension strings to get the B-string even in the same ballpark tension as the others would require something massive, or a complete set of floppy strings.
[/quote]

Yes, I haven't seen anything on the 5 string Balanced Tension sets either. I use a 145 and even that isn't close to being 'balanced', though it works well enough.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1394999299' post='2397636']
Yes, I haven't seen anything on the 5 string Balanced Tension sets either. I use a 145 and even that isn't close to being 'balanced', though it works well enough.
[/quote]

I'm assuming your using the d'addario .145, if so did you get tapered or non? Did you have any issues with fit at nut or bridge? Been contemplating going that heavy for a while but not if i'm going to have to get nut work done.

[quote name='Joeyfivebags' timestamp='1397053792' post='2420173']
I'm assuming your using the d'addario .145, if so did you get tapered or non? Did you have any issues with fit at nut or bridge? Been contemplating going that heavy for a while but not if i'm going to have to get nut work done.
[/quote]

I went non-tapered as D'addario don't seem to make a tapered 145 nickel, at least one that I've seen. It went on but it was a tight fit at the bridge, but that was more down to the specifics of the Vigier Arpege monorail bridge, which is a fairly neat and intricate design compared to the lump of metal on my Precision. I have since switched to a Pro Steel tapered 145 which I think gives a much better tone. You might need a bit of work done at the nut, but I didn't anyhow, as I have always used a 135 minimum for a B string.

Not been playing the five string Vigier much recently and I'm even thinking of selling it though so I can't really give much of an in depth account..

Back on topic, I have been using the 120-50 sets for the last 8 months of so on my Precision with no complaints. In terms of price and sound quality they are the best strings I have ever used for tuning down a few steps.

Here is a link to a US site
[url="http://www.bassstringsonline.com/DAddario-XL-NICKEL-ROUND-WOUND--5-String-Balanced-Tension-Set-_p_1373.html"]http://www.bassstrin...et-_p_1373.html[/url]
Has a guide on the bottom of the description, so bought the equivalent sizes, not quite sure if they'll be available as whole sets yet.

Edited by Old_Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Coming and going from these strings. Just starting up a new project with a friend with a drop-c tuning. Going to give the 50-120 set a go for that. Would prefer steel, but this is a lot more affordable that getting the individual strings!

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1399542576' post='2445116']
Coming and going from these strings. Just starting up a new project with a friend with a drop-c tuning. Going to give the 50-120 set a go for that. Would prefer steel, but this is a lot more affordable that getting the individual strings!
[/quote]

Drop C and Drop C# works very nicely with this set on my PJ bass (34" scale)!