Why become a member? ×

The 10 Best Bassplayers On You Tube

Lowender

Interesting article -- open for debate.

[b] The 10 Best Bass Players on YouTube[/b]

The Overlooked Stars Who May Be Shaping the Next Generation of Bassists

By Kane Allias

For today’s bass players, it is, “the best of times – the worst of times.” The “worst’ aspect being that although there’s been tremendous advances in both technology and technique, the music scene in general has not supported much in the way of low end innovations. It’s been a while since there’ve been any revolutionary “bass stars” redefining the instrument nor has there been that defining album that makes everyone view the instrument in a new way. In the big leagues of of major acts, record sales and record contracts have lessened. In the local scene, club work is more scarce, studio work is covered by pre-programs, and what was considered the “scrub work for quick money” gigs – weddings, private parties, low paying bar jobs and such -- have become a competitive field among top notch players simply looking for the opportunity to play.

What’s “best” is the access of the internet. The easy accessibility of recording equipment allows musicians the world over who otherwise would never have the opportunity to be heard, to now record and post their work which potentially becomes visible to thousands of people. And the most recognized is YouTube. This can be regarded as a double edged sword since there is a deluge of mediocrity, time-sucking w***fests and ego driven wastes of time, but it also contains some gems of art and entertainment. And when it comes to music and specifically bass players, there’s a lot to see, to hear, to learn and to enjoy.

The following list is a tribute to those who create music for others to hear without monetary reimbursement or even the likelihood of acknowledgement. Very often, it simply makes the artists targets for ridicule from haters and malcontents who hide behind a computer screen to spew their petulance. You know – the ones who do nothing so they knock others to feel better about themselves.

The following list is not intended to showcase the best bass playing clips on YouTube, but the best players who may otherwise not be particularly well known. These guys (and gals) are pros, no doubt. But unfortunately fame and fortune is not as ubiquitous as raw talent, so the names will likely be new to you. Still, they are very worthy of attention. Consider them the “unsung heros of the bass.” Or more accurately, “The most famous bass players you’re never heard of. “

It’s certain there are many, many more. There will always be people looking to express their creativity. This is just a short list of what we feel is the best of the best of the unknown – in no particular order.

Viaceslav Svedov .

It’s guys like this who can make you question why you ever decided to take up the bass. One gets the feeling this is a man with a lot of time on his hands and most of that time is spent with a bass in his hands. Exhibiting monstrous technique that never seems gratuitous, Viaceslav breaks all the rules with his unbridled, manic and passion laden slap bass arrangements of metal and funk standards on which he adds an extra dimension at every turn. Viaceslav forgoes the typical slap and pop licks and takes the technique to another level.

On his Metallica medley he not only covers bass part but incorporates , guitar chords, melody and even drum patterns simultaneously with a ferocity and forcefulness that can be absolutely jolting. His slap bass version of Tom Sawyer makes the original Geddy Lee part seem elementary in comparison. The 80’s classic “Take On Me’ is a joy as well. This is all done with flair and sense of whimsy. Svedov will dance, clown around and mug for the camera without losing the groove for one moment. A true talent who in another time and place would be a superstar.

Marlowe DK

Marlowe can be considering the ultimate sideman. Pick a genre – any genre – and Marlowe will nail it. His site consists almost entirely of cover song that feature the bass , such as Stevie Wonder’s “Do I do” and one of the few accurate transcriptions of Benard Rogers masterpiece “We Are Family.” Marlowe replicates the parts with a verve and authenticity of the original – plus a little bit more -- a little more groove, a little more chops a little more confidence. The man is under control – some may say [i]too much [/i]control since his command is so strong he can come off somewhat blasé’ in his performances.

Marlowe performs the entire tracks top to bottom live and each and ever track sounds damn near flawless. A perfect take every time. He also uses a variety of basses and techniques to suit the situation and the choice is always dead on. If you ever want to learn the REAL way some those classic basslines are performed, check out his channel. He does them right.

Zander4724

The polar opposite of Malone DK is Zandor Zon (The last name being questionable since he uses a Zon bass) This bright new talent is someone who comes across as having zero interest in fitting the role of what a bass player should be or what a bass was designed to do. And that’s what makes it so wonderful.

Playing in mostly a finger picking style, he has his own concept of how to play the bass and it is truly one of beauty and depth. The bass becomes an instrument, not to provide a role, but as a vehicle on which to present the artists creative vision. His arrangement of Pachabel’s Canon breathes new life into an often overdone theme with inventive use of harmonics with superimposed chord melody movement. His version of Metallica’s “Unforgiven” evokes an eerie mood and authority that surpasses the original.

Zander may not be the guy to call when you need a sub to cover that gig at the local biker bar but when you want to hear some magnificent music played on the bass, he has some wonderful video posts worth viewing.

Plangentmusic

This channel is not only one of the more eclectic, it’s also one of the most entertaining, consisting of mostly hit songs from the last 40 years that feature fun and interesting bass parts. Each song is given a full band treatment emphasizing melodic bass lines. And there’s an additional catch -- bassist Nelson Montana plays [i]all the instruments[/i] on all the tracks. This includes some classical pieces where symphony is completely orchestrated (on midi keyboards) and the basses are replaced with bass guitar, as highlighted on his arrangement of Beethoven’s 9[sup]th[/sup]—second movement. Some may feel as if this is talking too much of a liberty with tradition but Montana makes it his own.

In some cases, the renditions of classic songs are so exact that it’s hard to tell the difference from the original, right down to every idiosyncratic bump and noise, even in cases of songs that one would think no one would dare cover such as the psychedelic classic “For the Benefit of Mister Kite”. In other cases, the arrangements are so unique the original tune may barely be recognizable such as the guitar/bass duet of “Michelle” where the bass takes the lead role and the guitar provides sounds and textures. Nelson’s jazz waltz, acoustic guitar and fretless bass version of Nirvana’s Lithium is an interesting take that includes a fine vocal as well.

There are also hook laden original songs in several styles, tracks from his CD’s “Jazz Unstandards” (which has some fairly well know guest artists), “Don’t Fear The Reverb”, a collection of classic guitar instrumentals with more pronounced bass and even some solo bass pieces. (His Moonlight Sonata is especially nice). Lots of twists and turns here, from country, to funk to even rap and opera! But the bulk is good old classic rock and pop with the bass up front. WAY up front.

Cannabilistic Zombie

Going by no other name, this is another young man who shows tremendous dedication a genre that is often considered harsh and unmusical – Death/Technical Metal. Yet the skill level it takes to perform it is unquestionably impressive and this channel is a shining example of that ability.

Yielding a 6 string fretless bass and implementing a 3 finger right hand technique, this guy rips though lines so fast and convoluted it’s hard to imagine even being able to hear the notes. This isn’t just fast finger wiggling, nor is it a display of “tricks.” This is stone cold awesome command of the instrument.

On recordings, much of this music is pro-tooled to make it tighter and more precise but here you’ll see each and every fingering perfectly executed with solid timing. It’s an admirable trait and one that hopefully lands this young man in musical situation could exploit his skills and get it heard to an appreciative audience. (Since one gets the feeling he isn’t especially interested to learning the latest Katy Perry tune for the Saturday night dance).

It ain’t pretty, but it sure is impressive. It could be argued that this music lacks melody and thus commercial appeal, but the prowess necessary to pull it off this well is remarkable to say the least and CZ does it with dazzling deftness. And considering his age, the potential and possibilities are most intriguing.

BassGK

Bassist Grezegorz Kosinski is a consummate virtuoso. His videos are more akin to hearing a world class concert cellist than a bass guitarist. His repertoire is made up of almost entirely of classical and baroque compositions and the pieces are performed with a touch and tone that is as near flawless as can be imagined. His two handed tap arrangement of Chopin’s waltz in A minor is a standout, though not to be taken too stodgily, he does a tribute to Cliff Burton – though it’s fair to say that it’s nothing Cliff himself would likely have imagined playing. For pure technique Grezegorz plays the bass as well as it can be played – on par with the worlds top master players. He’s also tasteful and creative. Not everything he plays may be applicable to most bassists situations but he’s worth a listen for no other reason than his formidable bass skills. He’s in a class by himself.

Miquelbass

Miquel Falcao has taken on a taunting task – that of devoting a channel to the note for note interpretation of the work of bass pioneer Chris Squier. Miquel not only performs some ambitious works such as the entire “Close To The Edge” suite, but he captures the touch, the time, the timbre and the attitude of the master himself. The Squier sound is especially elusive. Many think it’s simply a “Rick with a pick” sound but there are textural changes through each song and Miquel gets it all. It’s interesting to note, a few years back Jeff Berlin stepped in Chris to play a few shows. He learned and transcribed the entire set and read it down on stage perfectly with no rehearsal. That shows almost unfathomable skill but what was missing was the idiosyncratic Squier feel. This is what Miquel has captured to a tee.

And for anyone who thinks he’s just a copy cat player, Miquel also has a few originals posted and they not only sound nothing like Squier or Yes, they are both technically impressive and musically rewarding.

Kaboes (Lydia on Bass)

In many ways Lydia is one a legion of bassists showing off the classic funky funk style of the 80’s and 90’s -- the only difference is, she SLAYS it, with power, precision, a time feel you can set your clock to. And she lays down a groove that’s 10 feet deep.

Lydia is a bit of a You tube phenom so she has gained popularity, some say due to the “gimmick” that she’s an attractive female, but it wouldn’t matter if she were a fat bald 50 year old man, there’s no denying her mammoth knack for funkifying the bass guitar. Check out her cover of the Marcus Miller tune “Free” where she adds chord voicings and sings lead. The girl does it all and kicks some serious ass doing it. One would think these combinations of skills would make her highly marketable, which it does, except that the style of her expertise might be stuck in-between “dated” and “retro’ to go beyond that of local legend and onto the world stage. Nevertheless, she’s worth hearing. And learning from. Try not to feel too emasculated.

Hadfero Henreid Feraud

If blistering fusion-style improvisation is your thing, look no further than Henreid Feraud. It would be fair to make comparisons of Henried to Gary Willis in that he plays in a very effortless and fluid manner, one idea following the other and with complete command. It doesn’t seem to matter how complex the changes may be, or how fast, or how long he may go on, it seems almost as if it’s impossible for him to hit a wrong note. There have been criticisms of “sameness” in Feraud’s playing since he blisters though his solos with such adeptness there’s seemingly no “risk” to his playing, but on his video with keyboardist Eddie Brown, Henreid shows he can rock out with the best of them. When cued to “take a few choruses” Henreid launches into an impromptu demonstration of “lead bass” including expressive bends, shread runs and soaring melodies. Whereas most of the players mentioned have constructed their styles to be best showcases, Henried is a true performer playing genuine improvised music and absolutely crushing it every step of the way.

Andysaxtondot.com

Now here’s a fellow who doesn’t just make showcase videos but uses the medium to promote himself, his songs, his teaching practice and his career in general.

Andy’s main style is techno/post prog rock with a punk flair. In other words, there is an aggressive slap element to his sound but it goes beyond the Flea/Claypool school of riffs and licks. Andy creates soundscapes and compositions all from the bass. The sound is strong but clean and always musical. There are no apologies here. This is music for bass players, yet it never suffers from a sense of excess ego, nor does the music sound “forced” into showcasing the bass. It’s all perfectly natural and aurally satisfying. As his You tube title shamelessly promotes, his website is a well-produced amalgam of various works all showcasing his considerable prowess. His may not be the next big wave of the music industry but let’s give major props to a man who is hard at work promoting his art and his business, both of which are (and should be) the same thing.

So there you have it – ten shining examples that music and the art of the bass continues to live and thrive. Humbly, perhaps. But ever so proudly. If you get a chance, spend some time on these channels, spread the word, and leave a message. They are appreciated.

These are only 10. There are sure to be dozens more before long. In the meantime, one thing can be learned from these few examples …I think I have a little practicing to do.

Edited by Lowender

Nice thread and welcome to the 2010's. I already knew and admire 5 out of these 10 great players, MarloweDK probably being the most wel known contributing bassist of this time. The internet and youtube in particular has become my number one resource for learning new techniques and songs.

I think it is totally brilliant we can watch and learn from guys like this, MarloweDK (who's real name is Thomas Risell by the way) has a clear way of explaining new techniques that can be understood by both new and experienced players. His website playbassnow.com is one of the greatest resources available for any learning bassist and highly recommended.

Another great bassist sharing knowledge is a person you can also find on this forum. His name is Scott Devine and he runs scottsbasslessons.com. Also highly recommended!

One more note: Chris Squire cannot be copied. He is a virtuoso. You can play the same licks but it will never sound the same. Miguel comes close I do agree but no, he's not there yet.

I was going to start a new thread for this, so as not to piss on anyones parade, but this one I think is as good a place as any for it.

I have two questions about YouTube playalong videos.

1. Is there actually any proof that what we are hearing on the soundtrack is the person appearing in the video. For anyone with sufficient time (and these people appear to have lots of it) it's not too difficult to fake.

2. If they are all so freaking awesome on the bass (or whatever other instrument we see them playing) then why are they still stuck in their bedrooms playing along to other people's records? If I had half the technical ability that these people appear to have I would be out there taking every opportunity to play with as many people as possible, gigs and sessions and so on.

I know that HJFreaks does do gigs with various bands, but they are all somewhat pedestrian and dull compared with the music he chooses to play along to in his bedroom.

Discuss?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359129100' post='1950366']
I was going to start a new thread for this, so as not to piss on anyones parade, but this one I think is as good a place as any for it.

1. Is there actually any proof that what we are hearing on the soundtrack is the person appearing in the video. For anyone with sufficient time (and these people appear to have lots of it) it's not too difficult to fake.

2. If they are all so freaking awesome on the bass (or whatever other instrument we see them playing) then why are they still stuck in their bedrooms playing along to other people's records? If I had half the technical ability that these people appear to have I would be out there taking every opportunity to play with as many people as possible, gigs and sessions and so on.

I know that HJFreaks does do gigs with various bands, but they are all somewhat pedestrian and dull compared with the music he chooses to play along to in his bedroom.

Discuss?
[/quote]

I've been a signed-up Member with MarloweDK for a while. If he has faked all the videos on his website then he deserves an award just for that! :lol:

As to why he chooses not to front a touring classic rock band in Jutland and Schleswig-Holstein I guess you'd have to ask him, but there's no shortage of threads here on Basschat filled with people saying that they're fed up with bands and are going to give up on 'em ...

Edited by Happy Jack

Discuss?
[/quote]

I've done a few playalong vids. Beyond my own vanity, I wanted to do good versions so people could learn the track from my vid if they wanted to, I enjoyed the challenge of getting a good take in one go for some tricky numbers, and most of the versions I saw on youtube were not accurate or played very well so I wanted to put a decent version up. That's about it. Haven't done one in two years and not felt the need.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359130919' post='1950422']
I've done a few playalong vids. Beyond my own vanity, I wanted to do good versions so people could learn the track from my vid if they wanted to, I enjoyed the challenge of getting a good take in one go for some tricky numbers, [i][b]and most of the versions I saw on youtube were not accurate [/b][/i]or played very well so I wanted to put a decent version up. That's about it. Haven't done one in two years and not felt the need.
[/quote]

They probably downloaded the wrong tabs online. Bloody amateurs. :)

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1359130212' post='1950396']
Because a lot of bands and their egos simply suck and because they are sick of playing 12 bar blues crap all evening at the local jamsessions where guitarplayers keep playing never ending solos on the same theme all night every week.
[/quote]

If that's the view you have of bands and live music you need to get out of your bedroom more.

[quote name='Bassection' timestamp='1359131205' post='1950433']
I'd definitely agree on CannibalisticZombie, and HJFreaks.

Another one that most won't know unless they listen to Japanese stuff is irojiro:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF4rQ9NrBHs[/media]

3:15 onwards is pretty much eargasm material.
[/quote]

IMO it was all going beautifully UNTIL 3.15, where he proceeded to mash up a very good song with a load of old pony that had no purpose except to get his massive cock out on TV.

[quote name='Bassection' timestamp='1359131205' post='1950433']

3:15 onwards is pretty much eargasm material.
[/quote]

One of the few occasions I can remember when a sudden burst of tapping really brings something to the bassline, rather than just being a bit of w***ery ...

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359131866' post='1950457']
IMO it was all going beautifully UNTIL 3.15, where he proceeded to mash up a very good song with a load of old pony that had no purpose except to get his massive cock out on TV.
[/quote]

You're just jealous your cock is smaller :P :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359131866' post='1950457']
[/quote]

None of which is actually on the recorded bass line, which kind of defeats the object of this doesn't it?

[/quote]

I totally agree. In the opening post it says 'these guys are pros,no doubt',yet I never hear about the majority of Youtube
players doing any form of pro gig (or any gig really).

I don't get the whole Youtube playalong thing...I really do think 'so what?'. Everyone plays to records at some point
but what's the point of putting it online? Also,the majority of 'lessons' are really poor.
Taking a couple of popular Youtube guys-DavidSinRocks,to me,sounds like a poor copy of Flea in everything he plays
(including the Maceo vid above) and is really unimpressive. Marlowe DK can play but,for me,his lessons don't have
enough substance or information. He demonstrates everything clearly enough,but I'd like to hear him explain what he's
doing more and why,rather than just mostly playing the licks at a slower tempo.I've not seen his website (I'm not interested),
so if he does this,great,but I'm going off what I've seen on Youtube.

Discuss?
[/quote]Not everyone wants to be out on the road and playing in bands and driving up and down the Country .. Me included.. Been there and done it, YUK!!

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1359136988' post='1950611']
I totally agree. In the opening post it says 'these guys are pros,no doubt',yet I never hear about the majority of Youtube
players doing any form of pro gig (or any gig really).

I don't get the whole Youtube playalong thing...I really do think 'so what?'. Everyone plays to records at some point
but what's the point of putting it online? Also,the majority of 'lessons' are really poor.
Taking a couple of popular Youtube guys-DavidSinRocks,to me,sounds like a poor copy of Flea in everything he plays
(including the Maceo vid above) and is really unimpressive. Marlowe DK can play but,for me,his lessons don't have
enough substance or information. He demonstrates everything clearly enough,but I'd like to hear him explain what he's
doing more and why,rather than just mostly playing the licks at a slower tempo.I've not seen his website (I'm not interested),
so if he does this,great,but I'm going off what I've seen on Youtube.
[/quote]

Yep, certainly can't argue with that. Lydia on Bass gigs though, she's got a half decent voice and plays pretty well, but it's just tired old funk really innit. Mind you, she just has fun on YT, she's not done any lesson vids AFAIK.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1359137006' post='1950612']
Not everyone wants to be out on the road and playing in bands and driving up and down the Country .. Me included.. Been there and done it, YUK!!
[/quote]

True enough, and I suppose most people would rather be having fun in the bedroom. There are certainly a lot of w***ers playing bass on Youtube that's for sure.