Why become a member? ×

Which Innovation string is the most gut-like for straight pizz (no arco or slapping)??

Clarky

Hey Daf and BCers, I have owned and enjoyed Silver Slaps in the past but didn't get on with the higher tension and oddly plasticky-feeling metal surface of Honeys. The problem I had with Silver Slaps - at least when on my 3/4 German flatback - was the rather dull E string, which had very little projection and more thump than tone.

If I were to be after a pizz-only string set (no slap or arco) for my folk/blues/flamenco outfit that comes closest in sound to say LaFaro's gut sound, what would you recommend, based on the foregoing? Maybe a Super Silver E and Silver Slaps ADG? Or a downtuned set of 140Bs? Or maybe one of the black tape wound sets?

NB, I prefer lower tension but could go up to medium tension (my 3/4 bass is currently wearing Spiro Weichs but I was happy also with Mittels)

Edited by Clarky

Hi Clarky,

Hmm... i can see your idea of trying a heavier E to try and get a bit more "tone". I know Sam Burgess (Ronnie Scotts house bassist) loves the silver slaps for jazz, but as we all know, a string can sound/feel so different on two different basses...

As for the tape wound strings, well, i know a lot of people have mentioned how much they like the amplified sound of the rockabillys, particularly the solid fundamental; so I'd think they're worth a try. Also, as you're not far from me, if you get a chance, why not pop over to Victoria and try the prototypes on my bass.

Interesting comment about the feel of the honeys - not come across that before... :huh:

Cheers,
Daf

Edited by daflewis

Cheers Daf, will think on. Not in a hurry, just thinking ahead! Re: Honeys, was probably just me but it felt a bit like that imitation metal (eg, the metallic plastic like on kids toys) to me, rather than steel or similar. I'm probably in a minority of one though as I know a couple of BCers like them (thisnameistaken and Sarah)

• 1 year later...

Hi Clarky

I have a 3/4 late 19th century German bass. My '2 cents worth' :
I am a pizz. player Tried many different sets of strings over the years. Have finely settled on Super Silvers. Regarding Innovation I have tried Silver Slaps---found them to 'loose'---tried Honeys---found them excellent but wanted more of that old school sound. I was recomended to try Super Silvers---and yes found them to be nearer the sound I was after. They seem to be a slighter tension than the Silver Slaps and do not have that metalic 'twang' of metal strings.
But for the moment Super Silvers suit me--but have yet to try gut---------------------one problem-----£££££££££££'s!!