Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass 1963 stripped natural - SOLD

mrbassman_de

Up for sale again cos I need some cash for home repair...:-(((

[size=5][b]Fender Jazz Bass 1963 stripped natural[/b][/size]

Pre-CBS Jazz Bass in perfect working condition, body, neck and head stripped to natural. No issues !

- Original curved Rosewood board with clay dot markers (one clay dot missing)
- Original sunburst colour has been stripped to natural and partly repainted (lousy job by the way))
- All-original Hardware (except: bone nut replaced by brass nut)
- Original pickups with correct maroon wire, strong output
- Original electronics (codes from 63), original Bakelite knobs
- Truss rod works perfect, truss rod screw still flush with the neck end and obviously barely used
- Perfect straight neck, no ramp on the upper 5 frets
- Neck stamp 7 Apr 63 A
- Pot Codes 304-6320
- Original tortoise four-ply pickguard
- Original Pickup covers with small holes and correct screws
- Original fingerrest
- Serial L05xxx
- Weight: less than 4kg
- Frets seem to be original, but they are in very good condition, which might be subject to discussions due to the age and the usage of the bass. IF it has been refretted - this was a great fret job.

The bass plays like butter and sounds like a charme - as you would expect from a very very good pre-CBS. It is in every single attribute a wonderful example of early Fenders.

Detail pics on request. Please serious buyers only - no pic hunters...

I'm asking 3.900 Euro firm plus shipping/handling. Bass comes in non-original, no-name case.

Absolutely no trades - don't even ask please.

This bass is rated in the 2012 Vintage Magazine Guitar Price Guide at 8.000 - 11.000 USD.

Pics here:
[url="http://www.mrbassman.net/de/MrBassman/Basses/fender_jazz_63.htm"]http://www.mrbassman...der_jazz_63.htm[/url]

Edited by mrbassman_de

[quote name='soul deluxe' timestamp='1359334624' post='1953319']
cant see any problems with that decal.?
[/quote]
[quote name='rodney72a' timestamp='1359330775' post='1953278']
Nice. Do you have the OHSC?

Are you sure the decal is original?
[/quote]
That would be my question, too.

[quote name='rodney72a' timestamp='1359330775' post='1953278']
Are you sure the decal is original?
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]You mean 'Offset Body Contour' decal for 63? Possibly missing in action..?[/size]

Edited by discreet

I am NOT sure about the decal to be honest... It can't be proven wrong as well. My suggestion is that the decal has been probably stripped (or at least partly stripped) like the whole bass. The previous owner sprayed some lacquer over it, so it is impossible to determine the truth. About the decal itself: These decals are found sometimes on 63 basses. It's a bit funny because one of the patent numbers has been assigned definitely not before 1964 ... But anyway - the clay dots, the Rosewood board, the neck stamp ... I can't believe that this could be a fake. At least the original clay dots have never been considered as reproducable...

[quote name='soul deluxe' timestamp='1359339707' post='1953349']
ive seen many a Fender 60's jazz bass with a missing "contor" decal,,, its prob best to pm the seller with any doubts you might have, i cant see anything wrong with it myself but there is no harm in asking him..
[/quote]

I have no doubts whatsoever - was trying to find out why possible decal issue. :) Bass looks very lovely!
Anyway, this persiflage is keeping it at the top of the shop, so no harm done, imho...

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1359478975' post='1955375']
An [i]un-[/i]stripped pre CBS....?
[/quote]

Nope. Maybe? No. Can I have one of each?

I even have a set of mutes waiting for just the right moment. Sadly, this is not it.

The first bass I ever really took in was a stripped Jazz and I struggle to not buy it every time I see one for sale. I have even done a spreadsheet to see if I could realise the capital for this one. It did not work :(