Why become a member? ×

For those who record through a PC using MIDI

Kiwi

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='21190' date='Jun 21 2007, 07:45 AM']Just thought we could start by seeing what kind of software are people using.[/quote]

I'm not keen on starting a argument but a mac option might be interesting too - I speak of course as a mac user! Using Cubase SX3.1 and logic express (depending on the project).
max

Nuendo 3...Sonar 6 and live 6 here.....
All for different situations.....
Various 3rd party plug ins to supplement....

All the Major DAW'S pretty much do the same deal.....
[all have plus and minus's - just visit the Forums and see the whinging going down]

Having a good quality Audio card/unit and Monitors is also a good bet...
Quality converters in the card for getting live audio in and out.

As for Mac versus Pc.......that one will go on for ever , a lot of people/studios use both...

At one time Mac was the most stable...but these day's PC is there with stabilty and speed.[and 64 bit]
Although Windows does need tweeking to get best audio results.
Try this link for that
[url="http://www.musicxp.net/"]http://www.musicxp.net/[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Asking whats better:

PC v Mac

Pro Tools v Logic v Cubase v Nuendo v Everything else

Reason v Kontact v Everything else

is much the same as saying on this forum, whats better:

P Bass v Jazz Bass v Stingray

Trace v Ampeg v Ashdown

Boss v Aphex v Line 6....

But people do get wound up about it.

G

ps - pro tools and mac all the way :)

i use reason3 pretty much exclusively.

i hate recording live instruments because it can be way too involved. reason is so easy to use i can practically "jam" with it, writing all my stuff quite intuitively. i don't even use a controller...i do it all with the pen tool!

this is what it sounds like:

[url="http://www.paulharckham.com/180607.mp3"]this is what reason sounds like[/url]

I use Pro Tools LE on a PC, along with Reason and Cubase SX2 or 3 - can't remember it's been so long since I've actually used it.

I'm planning on hooking up an equivalent portable set-up on my Macbook.

Cubase is great for MIDI sequencing and programming, Reason is almost a super plug-in and Pro Tools is just the standard for audio.

I haven't used Digital Performer (is it Mac only?) but I've heard good things about it. I know a lot of people who swear by Logic. It looks like a great all-rounder. I remember being annoyed when Apple bought it and decided to discontinue the PC version.

I've got a few applications on my laptop including Sonar 5 and Cubase LE but generally use..

Tracktion 2 for most midi/VST things and mixing
Adobe Audition 1.5 for audio editting, audio file format conversion and sometimes audio only mixing (the noise reduction plug in that comes with Audition is one of the best I've ever found)
Sibelius 4 for scores and usually for creating midi files as the midi editor in Tracktion isn't that great

Cheers,
Alun

• 1 month later...

OK; I like my technical things but for my music sequencer I run Cakewalk Music Creator on an old PC. The software is not too costly and is actually very versatile, it can do all sorts of things. I use it to drive my midi hardware comprising synths, samplers etc.

Until recently the MIDI timing has been poop. I've used Creative Labs ISA AWE64 series and Avance cards but I recently got a M-Audio MIDI Portman that runs from the printer port and happiness is MIDI timing now groovy!

Music Creator can record audio but that's too much to ask of my old PC but is fine on my new one. Overall Music Creator is worth a look if you're dabbling about for fun. It's perfectly capable. Be warned, MIDI on a PC is somewhat fraught with respect to timing. There are many debates over USB, Firewire or PCI cards for best timing etc.

:)