Why become a member? ×

Locking Tuners ??

Les

Just picked up a Cort M700 guitar, it's really nice, I'm dead pleased with it but I want to change the strings.

This thing has locking tuners WTF ? What is this devilry, is it a trick devised by our lesser brethren to make bass players lives miserable ?

I'm kind of assuming I put the string through the post, pull it tight, clamp the wheel at the back of the tuner tight then tune up but I thought I'd better ask the font of all knowledge first.

Les

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360538133' post='1972135']
So locking tuners lock the string? I always presumed you tuned up and then it locked the tuner post so it didn't move at all....
[/quote]

I thought that too. Maybe they'll work better than I imagined!

A locking drop D tuner would be very interesting indeed...

That's correct.

The string wrap thing BRX refers to can be a problem if you like to dive bomb a lot, but it can also reduce string breakage. I've found that wrapping a couple of turns even with locking tuners reduces breakage because there is less stress at the right angle point where the string enters the tuner post. Not all strings suffer breakage, but DRs (my preference) do so very badly IF you loosen the string off & then re-tension it.

Guest bassman7755

Sperzel make locking bass tuners, bloody marvelous things - takes all the hassle out of string changes, no more guessing how much slack on the string is required to get the right number of turns on the peg, and does away will all the tedious winding. Probably have to order them direct from the states though from somewhere like here http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_tunerssperzel.htm

Edited by bassman7755