Why become a member? ×

New Innovation arco/jazz prototypes "Polychromes" - I need some testers please!

daflewis

Hi Everyone,

I have a set of the new prototypes we've been working on ready for beta-testing, so if anyone's up for it I'd appreciate some feedback... (It'll be a pass around like with the other trial sets.)

The idea behind them is to get a string that has a good jazz pizz sound but is as easy to bow as possible with good definition and fundamental to the note - they're not a full sustaining modern jazz string (someone described them as "Paul Chambersy") so they still have that "Innovation sound" but with a bit more brightness and low end definition. I'm particularly looking for people who do both jazz and arco to test them if possible please...

I need to know in particular how the tension and tone feels across the set - I've tested them on all five of my basses ranging from an old english through german factory to a modern ply, but as the tension can vary so much on different basses and we need to come up with a set that works on the majority of instruments I'd appreciate some more guinea pigs. :)

Thanks!
Daf

ORDER (* = done)

Hubrad *
Mr Bassman *
Gareth Hughes *
p_w_m skipped for now
ubassman *
TheRev *
Kipperwig *
Phil Parker *
Owen *
BassInMyFace *
johnny dissident *
FloydElgar*
2wheeler*
Beer of the Bass
steve
eubassix

Edited by daflewis

I'm always happy to have a bang on some Innovation strings, but I'm not much of an arco player I'm afraid.

Still, if you want to know if your shiny new strings work for Johhny Cash-esque, root-fifth thumpery in a cider infused atmosphere, then I'm yer man.

The strings are in Yorkshire! B)
Managed to put them on at about 11.30p.m. so only chance for a quick footle across, but my first impressions back up Daf's comment re more focused and just a tad brighter. Anyone concerned about higher tension, I'd say the difference is only small, and these are still very comfortable to play, at least with my setup.
The bass is 108cm scale, a 1960s Meinel. The set they've replaced is the standard Honey Jazz, well used.
Got a couple of gigs next week, so once I've had a tryout at home they'll be on stage for the full treatment!
More soon..

Hi all,
Second impressions.. either I assassinate everyone else on the list and hang onto this set, or to make matters easier I'll just put myself down for a set once they're available!
I managed to hang onto them for just long enough to play a couple of sets Weds and Thurs.. I occasionally get to play with this fine fellow www.fakethackray.com and while he's doing support for the Fairport Convention Winter Tour I bagged the chance to play with him on the local shows at Leeds and Burnley. A couple of weeks ago he mailed me to say I'd need to know Meet On The Ledge as we get dragged back on (kicking and screaming, of course!) to play with FC. He didn't mention until after soundcheck that, rather than a band swap-over, FC join HIM for the last Jake song then they keep going. Far smoother changeover. So there I am, playing a Jake Thackray song (bonus) with John (bonus) with Dave Pegg playing to my left and Gerry Conway drumming behind me. Grinning my bits off? Maybe a little..
So anyway, with photographic evidence to follow, I love these strings! I've long see-sawed between Honey Jazz and Braided Orchestral, The Honey have just that subtle extra bright edge of attack whereas the Braided have a subtle easier feel under the bow. This new set seems to combine the two. Daf, you were asking about feel, tension etc.. Having used Honeys the last couple of times I could barely tell any difference in feel when playing pizz. A really comfortable string for pizz. I just bowed a little on the gigs, more at home; I wouldn't claim to be an orchestral player, but I have had quite a few compliments on the kind of arco I get up to. Again, a really nice feel, with just that tad more richness than I remember from last time I used Braided. Easy to move with the bow, even under pressure and stage lights!
I have a couple of sets of Honeys in hand (you must carry spares, n'est-ce pas?) so one of those is going on over the weekend so that I can pass the Protos on to Gareth Hughes. I'm now hoping that this becomes a production set before I get round to putting the second set on; I think I've just played my new favourite strings!
Thanks to Daf for setting this trial up.

Hugh/Hubrad,
Thank you so much for that glowing report - and it sounds like that was quite a gig too! :) I know i didn't ask about this, but as you're so familiar with both the honeys and the braids, did you notice any change in the acoustic volume? (either up or down) - ta!

Sarah,
Of course! you seemed to enjoy them very much with you tried my bass, so i'm eager to know what you think on your bass... :)

One note for everyone about the arco, my serious classical tester has said that as far as arco is concerned, you need to draw the sound out rather than hammering it - if you "hit" them in the way that you would a steel core you won't hear them at their best. (i also know from personal experience that a slower bow works better and they respond particularly well to quiet playing)

Thanks again to Hubrad for starting things off. :)
Cheers,
Daf

To me, volume- and tone-wise, the experience was rather like that of having a brand new set of Honeys on, but with the bowability of the Braided.
I'll be putting a brand new set of Honeys on in the next day or so, so will try to evaluate the difference there.
Back soon..

.. and I'm back in the room!
I've now changed back to Honeys, a brand new set for comparison. I was meaning to restring anyway!
For as much of a comparison as poss, I changed one string at once, in order G/E/D/A, each time having a few minutes both pizz and arco.
At least on my bass and to my ears, I'd say the volume is pretty much indistinguishable between the two sets.
Tonally, however, I will happily go with Daf's original post in this thread:

'The idea behind them is to get a string that has a good jazz pizz sound but is as easy to bow as possible with good definition and fundamental to the note - they're not a full sustaining modern jazz string (someone described them as "Paul Chambersy") so they still have that "Innovation sound" but with a bit more brightness and low end definition.'

As I said a couple of posts ago, I think I have just found my new favourite strings.
Now, how to bring about the sudden demise of everyone else on the list... :ph34r:

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1361558033' post='1987618']
Just heard back from Gareth; the strings are staying in Yorkshire for now - Keith, you're up next! Drop me a line with your address or we could meet up..
[/quote]

will do Hugh

been busy, would be good to meet up again soon