Why become a member? ×

New Innovation arco/jazz prototypes "Polychromes" - I need some testers please!

daflewis

• 3 weeks later...

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]I’ve been itching to try these new braided strings ever since Daf mentioned Innovation were working on a new formula. Hugh kindly sent them to me 2 or 3 weeks ago and I feel I’ve had them long enough so they’re ready to go to the next tester.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]First I tried the G string on a Yamaha SLB100. Didn’t like it, rather dull like I remember Honeys sounding on this instrument so I didn’t bother fitting the other 3.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Next up was my big old French bass which is strung with Evah Pirazzi (108cm)[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]The trial G sounded promising so rather than change the whole set I fitted the trial E string, with which there was a problem at the tailpiece end where the brass anchor is loose in the loop, and the string pulled away when I tensioned it. I noticed that the other 3 strings seem to be glued to the anchor. I didn’t want to use superglue in case it melted the braiding so I was extra careful as I re-tensioned the string keeping an eye on the tailpiece. As I tuned it up I immediately noticed an increase in volume and tone but the string rattled loudly against the fingerboard. I tried them over a few days and apart from the rattle, which would have to be sorted, I think they’ll be the perfect set for this bass. They sounded good pizz & with a bow.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Over the next few days I experimented with the trial strings on both my Eminence and Yamaha SLB200. Both basses are fitted with Full Circle’s and the test amp was Acoustic Image Ten 2 combo and normally strung with Kolstein Heritage.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]For pizz the trial strings worked better on the Eminence but on the SLB200 the bowed sound was incredible! As I don’t bow the SLB200 I’ll stick with the Kolsteins on that.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]After a last session on the Eminence I prefer the Kolsteins, but the Innovation would be a great second choice.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]So to sum up[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Nice smooth quality feel to the windings[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Silks are impressive, looks like they’ll outlast Spiros & Kolsteins etc[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]I don’t like the brass anchor, it didn’t sit well on any of the basses, but I suppose a washer might get around this problem.[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Tension is higher than the Kolsteins, similar to Evah, that’s all I had to compare with.[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]They are quick to tune to pitch, unlike the Kolstein which seem to go on stretching for ages. This would make them ideal for touring bassists with removable neck basses such as the Eminence, BSX or Kolstein.[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]I will certainly consider a couple of sets for my acoustic basses when they become available but I’ll stick with the Kolsteins for the EUB’s[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Many thanks Daf & co[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]p.s.[/size][/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]who's next?[/size][/size][/font]

Great review, Mr Bassman, especially as I'm considering a BSX (or SLB 200) in the summer (for convenience when gigging and travelling) - although I will be trialling them much later on it is nice to have the opinions of others as benchmarks to compare!

Hi All,

Back from hols now :( - thanks for keeping things on course... :)

Thanks Keith - much appreciated - they haven't had any testing on EUBs so it's good to get your feedback. I might have a few more questions for you when i get my head together if that's ok...

As for the problem with the brass bar - yes, it's something we've discussed - i was never a fan anyway as they can pop out of the tailpiece, but the real problem is that the new core is much softer and more pliable, so the bar is more liable to drop out - as you found!

Owen - done! :)

Cheers,
Daf

Edited by daflewis

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Folks - here's my delayed review on these great strings.

In general - it's both thumbs up and thumbs down, but not for negative reasons in that what I found negative in one setting was a positive in another. I love me a good 'mwah' to a note which, on my bass, they didn't provide which left me wanting for more on a recording session and a gig with two different singer/songwriters. BUT where that lack of 'mwah' was a bonus was on several orchestral rehearsals and gigs where I found the strings had an amazing solid foundation to each note that was lacking in my previous strings, Velvet Blues. The notes were immediate and full, right through the registers - well up to the second C on the G string, after that I daren't show myself up in public.

When I first put the strings on I was totally in love with them. I was doing 'The Sound Of Music', 'West Side Story', and a community orchestra gig within a few weeks of each other and I loved how responsive my bass was - also seemed about 20% louder than before, possibly down to the Innovations being a higher tension than the Velvets. In these scenarios the strings totally excelled anything I had tried previously on the bass (Kolstein Heritage, D'Addario Hybrids and the Velvet's). So for these gigs, battling against a small orchestra and a percussion heavy pit band, the Innovation's had an authority to them that allowed me to be heard clearly and effortlessly.

So to sum it up - If I had two basses I'd definitely have a set of these on and make it my arco bass.

Thanks for that Gareth,

Yeh, as far as pizz goes these definitely weren't designed to be steel cored growlers - I wanted to maintain the idea of a gut sounding string, (but with a bit more brightness and life than the "old" braids), so they have that smack at the front end but do then die off quicker than perhaps a steel core would.

Arco wise, I wanted them to be more easily bowable, and they do take a slow and/or light bow really well, and will play right down on to the bridge without breaking up, so they are proving to be very popular in the classical world, especially among those who like to use a powder rosin.
Thanks for the review - much appreciated!
Cheers,
Daf :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Floyd,

Sorry i didn't get back to you earlier on this, i've been away for the last week...

The 140Bs are not actually in the trial, mainly because they aren't particularly popular and the prototypes MAY replace them rather than running along side.... That said, if there's enough interest, I'm sure i could sort out a test set... :)