Why become a member? ×

Anyone used the MXL 604s mic?

slaphappygarry

I've not used that model specifically, but I wasn't overly impressed by the MXLs at the time. Unfortunately, that was several years ago so I can't remember the model - sorry!

What are you (recording?) with it, I was trying to use them with a choir but got better results with a generous scattering of SM58s and Sennheiser E835/845s?

The Nt4 is not what i am after. Although i am after a pair i may from time to time wanna use them seperatly.

Ill look closer into the c02. I have never really used the samson mics but there is something about them that seems a little cheap.

edit: £64 quid a pair?! No, i don't think these are gonna sound that great or last....

I've got an AKG 451 which is sweet, (I combine it with a c414).

For live work (i.e. where I don't want things to go missing) I use either a pair of Beyer opus53's (a bargain from thomann) or the Joe Meek JM27 (from Gear4music)

They are both really good sounding SDC's without breaking the bank.

The SE1a would be also be good buy (studiospares has them cheapest I think), and for more critical work I'm sure you can buy a matched pair.

Cheers
John

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='22540' date='Jun 24 2007, 01:28 AM']I will look further into the SE though....

G[/quote]

One of the models has different capsules you can fit, think its the SE3, the review in SOS mentioned they fitted the SE2 mic so by buying an SE2 and SE3 you could get 2 cardoid and one omni.

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='22700' date='Jun 24 2007, 06:04 PM']Ill look closer into the c02. I have never really used the samson mics but there is something about them that seems a little cheap.

edit: £64 quid a pair?! No, i don't think these are gonna sound that great or last....[/quote]

I thought they were cheap but I didn't realise they were that cheap! You can hear them contributing the bulk of the drum sound on my recording thread. If I could do it again I'd probably buy a matched pair of AKG 414s or something like that instead of pair of C1000s for overheads and a JM47 for vocals.

Alex