Why become a member? ×

How many basses is too many basses?

ubassman

[size=5][b]How many basses is too many basses?[/b][/size]

[size=5][size=4]Is this question even allowed?? :rolleyes: [/size][/size]

[size=5][size=4]Apologies for purple heart getting in the way but lurking behind it is a Bridge electric double bass.[/size][/size]

[size=5][size=4]Plus Paul Bryant, 1/4 and 3/4 "teaching" basses.[/size][/size]

[size=5][size=4][/size][/size]

[size=5][size=4][/size][/size]

[size=5][size=4] :gas: [/size][/size]

I only have the one double bass, but I have been toying with the idea of hiring a mini-bass for my kids to learn on. They would go in a room alongside my piano, 2 clarinets, a full set of different sized recorders, plus my hubby's elec guitars, elec basses, classical guitar and a child size guitar. Getting a little crowded ...

I only have one DB ...

plus a fretless five-stringer, a Tacoma acoustic and an old Antoria ...

plus a six string acoustic guitar, twelve string and a bowl back ...

plus a dulcimer, mandolin and balalaika ...

plus a bandoneon, two melodeons and a concertina ...

plus assorted recorders, harmonicas and whistles (which are the easiest to smuggle new into the house).

In my defence I would state that they all get played (except the Antoria which I keep for sentimental reasons :) )

Steve

:D [quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1360871957' post='1977787']
I only have one DB ...

plus a fretless five-stringer, a Tacoma acoustic and an old Antoria ...

plus a six string acoustic guitar, twelve string and a bowl back ...

plus a dulcimer, mandolin and balalaika ...

plus a bandoneon, two melodeons and a concertina ...

plus assorted recorders, harmonicas and whistles (which are the easiest to smuggle new into the house).

In my defence I would state that they all get played (except the Antoria which I keep for sentimental reasons :) )

Steve
[/quote]

Steve...your surname isn't Thomann by any chance !! :D Edited by ubassman

Is there much hope in just having 'the one?' I can't imagine having another one, mine's perfect; though I haven't found the perfect strings that give me both the pizz and arco response I want (good luck finding that, I know... maybe if I try a few hundred more different sets)

As it is I can't afford to have more than one double bass. I think I need more than one electric bass, but maybe that's because I'm not sufficiently in love with the one I use like I am with my double bass.

Just the one double bass double bass at the moment. I cant see the point as yet in getting another even if id really like too. The step up would be 10K plus. Maybe when i start getting payed for rehearsals as well as concerts ill know its time that i can get another. What i really do need though is a new bow and i have no idea were im going to get the funds or the time to travel around and try a lot out.

3 electric bass's though, 1 amp, 1 trumpet, 1 tiny keyboard, 1 guitar. It all takes up too much space as it is in my tiny apartment.

[quote name='philparker' timestamp='1360852907' post='1977424']
I've been trying to reduce my collection to 2 x electric guitar (already done) 2 x bass guitar (nowhere near) 2 x classical guitar (ditto) 2 x travel guitar; 2 x novelty (anything)...

...but I obviously need to add another DB/EUB!
[/quote]

...so thats a +1 ? !! :D

I think you only get into 'too many' territory if you have more than two identical basses in the same tuning. If you're in 3 bands that all use different tunings you need AT LEAST 3 basses, not taking into account fretless basses, basses with a different tone, basses with more strings, and backups.

I'm content having 5 basses at the moment... A 4 and a 5 for one band, a 6 for another, a 6 in a different tuning for another... And a battered old 4 string in case of emergencies!