Why become a member? ×

How many basses is too many basses?

ubassman

[quote name='slap_it_hard' timestamp='1360876959' post='1977886']
Only 4 double basses, surely you must have room for some more... I wish I had 4 ;)
[/quote]

They are all different and serve different purposes. ;)

My chamber bass is set up with solo tuning , then I have an orchestral workhorse, another that 'pungs' along with a sound perfectly set up for jazz, and then an all weather ply bass ! My electric bass is for playing in the odd show/pit work, black acoustic is my weapon of choice when I have a pile of music to sight read and work out fingerings for DB ! ...thats my story and Im sticking to it !!
( I didn't mention my EUB as I have just sold it ....ambitions for a 5 string DB ....so yes room for one more !! :P )

[quote name='slap_it_hard' timestamp='1360917586' post='1978215']
Merlin, 25 double Basses??? Surely not!
[/quote]

Just think of the fast sports car that you could have been driving in ...mind you , you can't get a DB in a Porsche ( not that I've ever had the opportunity to try ! )

I'm still on one bass, but saving up for a second. Trouble is, as a left-hander, any bass I buy is pretty much going to be staying with me forever so gotta be sure I can really justify it! And the imminent arrival of Jr and my tiny house don't fill my wife with confidence that a second bass is a wise investment. Some people just don't understand...

At least being a lefty keeps me from getting sucked into the world of vintage basses...much as I'd love it!

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My chamber bass is set up with solo tuning , then I have an orchestral workhorse, another that 'pungs' along with a sound perfectly set up for jazz, and then an all weather ply bass ! My electric bass is for playing in the odd show/pit work, black acoustic is my weapon of choice when I have a pile of music to sight read and work out fingerings for DB ! ...thats my story and Im sticking to it !![/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]( I didn't mention my EUB as I have just sold it ....ambitions for a 5 string DB ....so yes room for one more !! [/font][/color] :P[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] )[/font][/color][/quote]

So really if they all are for specific use you're running at half capacity!! Think of the risk you're running by not having a backup for each of the above - you need to immediately go and double your bass portfolio!

i don't subscribe to the n+1 formula, for me the correct number is s-1 where s is the number that would cause the breakdown of your relationship/bank account (delete as appropriate)

my current collection is in double figures but only about 6 are basses, a double bass has been veto'ed on space grounds which i can understand as our house is already pretty crowded with other stuff, an EUB could be squeezed in though!

Matt

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1360873777' post='1977825']
:D

Steve...your surname isn't Thomann by any chance !! :D
[/quote]

Nope, it's just the usual clutter you acquire if you hang around the folk scene long enough!

I now have a one in, one out policy agreed with SWMBO. However she hasn't spotted the flaw that it isn't instrument specific :)

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1360936871' post='1978629']

I now have a one in, one out policy agreed with SWMBO. However she hasn't spotted the flaw that it isn't instrument specific :)

[/quote]

SWMBO theory kinda blows any mathematical theory clean out of the water !! ( SWMBO I think is a universal law / cure for GAS ?). :lol:

I have three. one solid top to to hang out with and practice at home ( "Young Man"). one durable but attractive Ply that's always dressed and ready to step out for gigs ("Blonde Babe") and one for my cat to sleep on and my bass mentor to use when he comes to torture me with the [b]metronome[/b] ("Viva Las Vegas") !

Edited by swingin8th

[quote name='gcordez' timestamp='1361217369' post='1983049']
Got two so far, a Martin Penning Villaume model and an 1880's French bass.
Number three is being built as we speak. Another Penning, but a large panormo shape.

Gulp. Expensive habit this innit?
[/quote]

Yes, quality not quantity.

Rachel

The Bryant and Martin, not surprisingly, are two different animals. The Martin doesn't have a lot of sustain and would probably benefit from a new setup. It does, though, have amazing clarity and strength right up the G string. You don't find that on every bass, even some expensive ones. Acoustically it's so-so but when amped with an Underwood it really comes alive. So much so that I've had several compliments on my sound. The finish is disappointingly unimpressive - shame on you George. I use this bass in a loud Dixieland all-star band where I get 50% of my work.

My other work is playing in smaller groups, generally playing modern/mainstream jazz. I use the Bryant for this where its subtleties come to the fore. It has a beautiful sustain but was initially difficult to amp. I think the Underwood could have been ill-fitting and I struggled with the sound for quite a while. I've sorted it now and since fitting an Ehrlund to bring out the attack I'm very happy with it. It's a nice little bass and I love it. If the house were to burn down that's the bass I'd save!

Hope this helps a bit. Remember, the Martin is their entry level model and I have no doubt that they have some really good ones in the higher price bracket.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1361295892' post='1984126']
Rachel

The Bryant and Martin, not surprisingly, are two different animals. The Martin doesn't have a lot of sustain and would probably benefit from a new setup. It does, though, have amazing clarity and strength right up the G string. You don't find that on every bass, even some expensive ones. Acoustically it's so-so but when amped with an Underwood it really comes alive. So much so that I've had several compliments on my sound. The finish is disappointingly unimpressive - shame on you George. I use this bass in a loud Dixieland all-star band where I get 50% of my work.

My other work is playing in smaller groups, generally playing modern/mainstream jazz. I use the Bryant for this where its subtleties come to the fore. It has a beautiful sustain but was initially difficult to amp. I think the Underwood could have been ill-fitting and I struggled with the sound for quite a while. I've sorted it now and since fitting an Ehrlund to bring out the attack I'm very happy with it. It's a nice little bass and I love it. If the house were to burn down that's the bass I'd save!

Hope this helps a bit. Remember, the Martin is their entry level model and I have no doubt that they have some really good ones in the higher price bracket.
[/quote]

Thanks for a lovely little review, an interesting read. Have to agree, I love my solo Bryant, small yet a lovely sound. I had a couple of teething problems but hats off to Paul Bryant, he went above and beyond the call of duty and I have been 100% happy ever since.

Funny you mention George, I baby sat him once (a very long time ago!) LOL :lol: