Why become a member? ×

classical bowing

odonovanr

Hi

I was sent here by Innovations strings to see if I could find an answer to the most basic question:

I play in an amateur classical orchestra. I am the only bass (not unusual) but I am not soloist. So how to choose between Braided and Braided Solo strings? What are the characteristics in terms of playability and sound?

I played once with the bow on a bass with set of rockabilly innovation and found the sound very interesting - hence the idea to go a step further and play the braided.

Any advice welcome.

I live and play in Switzerland, so I can't ask for a test set sadly, or can I?

Richard

I've not used Solo myself, but as solo tuning is one whole tone above standard, using solo strings at standard pitch means effectively de-tuning. Generally this means lighter tension - easier to press the strings down, but also easier to make them rattle if you dig in, and most likely a slightly softer tone with a touch less volume.
Anyone with direct experience of this?

Hi Richard,
Hubrad's right - I've used the solos tuned to concert and if you need/want a very low tension set and play amplified, then they're worth a try, but, if you're playing orchestraly, the loss in volume and the rattle when you dig in, means I'd recommend sticking with the standard braids.

The rockabillys you tried wont have bowed very easily (though they do have, as you say, an interesting breathy "baroque" quality to the sound) but you should find the braids a welcome relief
I'm afraid we're not trialing the braids anyway; partly because the honeys are so much more popular (a jazz string) and partly because there's a possibility we may be phasing them out (depending on how the new prototypes go down)

Though, of course, if I hear that a few people want to try them then I'll try and sort something...

Cheers,
Daf

• 1 month later...

I just got back from London where I bought an Innovation Braided set an put them on my bass. The sound is much more interesting and gut-like. Surprisingly - because somebody here said they had less projection - they are MUCH more powerful than the metal core strings I had before. (standard Flexocore mounted on new instruments, I think)

Thanks to all. Now back to music!

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Every bass has a different balance as to the optimal tension of the strings to drive the top: not enough, and the bass doesn't project. Too much, and the bass sounds "choked." Just right, with a proper setup (nut, bridge, fingerboard dressing, soundpost placement, etc.), and the entire instrument projects good tone and volume. It sound like you found what is good on your bass. Enjoy!