Why become a member? ×

Fuzzrocious Pedals appreciation

Sibob

[quote name='hernandoitwt' timestamp='1374841987' post='2153924']
This is most definitely getting used at The Forum next month! I will be velcroing it to my board tonight and that is where it shall stay!

[/quote]

Excellent. I'm really looking forward to hear how they sound "out front" rather than just through backline :)

well, the TFR is bassier. MUCH bassier. It doesn't go as high gain as the stache, but I think max gain on the pedal is plenty. Most pedal boards I see with a TFR on have the same setting, full gain!

The Stache is more a biting, cutting sounding muff to me. There is less of a range in the tone pot, compared to the TFR, but the mids control is good, and I think overall the stache cuts through more. With diode clipping options, there are more sounds in the stache. It's nastier sounding, whereas I'd say the TFR is beefier (??)

Hope that helps. I really like muffs on bass, and these 2 are different enough to warrant me keeping both.

From what I understand (and I might have gotten mixed up), the Stache is based on the GGG Tuned Muff, whilst the TFR is obviously based on the Civil War Green Muff. Now largely the differences are just in a few components, a resistor value here, a capacitor value there. But they are both Muff based fuzzes, they will react wildyl different with what you feed them.
I've got a GGG Green Muff to finish, I'll try and compare that with my Stache and Fuzz Face build asap.

If you go Stache, and want beef, have Ry put Asymmetric LEDs as one of the diode options, Big!!

Cheers
Si

the TFR can get way too bassy too easily, the useable range for me on the tone pot is pretty small, goes from too bassy and smooth to way too thin pretty quickly, but there is a nice bit inbetween

but yeah, the dist knob is maxed.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1394646121' post='2393701']
Hmmmm, my journey was:

GS, BDPG, OSD, RT, DD

Still have them all :)

Si
[/quote]

i think i went nothing-OSD-GS-tremorslo-DD-RT-GS-nothing. i regret selling the OSD and the original GS. The newer GS wasn't half as good... the old one was amazing though :(

the JMJ facial expression when the heliotropic was being played on pedals and effects alone makes me want to buy one, it sounded great. Curious as to what is inside, it sounded quite similar to a muff at some settings.. at others sounded a bit like what I run my brassmater into a muff... tempting though!

I'm starting to get tempted by pedals (god help me) and for some reason I'm tempted to try combining my Tech 21 xxl bass with a RTM on one side of an LS2 with a Octaver and Grand Tarkin on the other side on the LS2. I'm just not sure if the walls could handle it....

• Sibob changed the title to Fuzzrocious Pedals appreciation