Why become a member? ×

Lets just say I was looking at basses for arguments sake.....

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1361792632' post='1990777']

Yeah there are plenty of OK basses under a grand. They won't sound stellar but depending on what you're using it for they may do the job just fine.

You're unlikely to be able to make any especially informed decisions about the quality of a bass right now due to your inexperience so I would suggest looking at new basses rather than used ones to avoid buying a bass with 'issues'. Spend as much as your budget will allow on the bass itself and don't worry about accessories (pickups, pres, etc.) yet. Especially if you're buying from Thomann or Gedo because you won't need to get a setup done (if you buy from G4M definitely DO budget for a setup!).

As for laminates vs. carved basses: Laminates are a little easier to care for in that they aren't as prone to cracking in sub-zero temperatures or other low/no humidity environments, but I've got a laminate and a carved bass and I've found you can just as easily put a hole in a laminate bass by bumping it into something as you can with a carved bass. ;) I don't think there's much point in generalising about the way they sound though. Cheap carved basses don't sound especially impressive and neither do cheap laminates, but maybe you'd prefer the sound of a given laminate over a given carved bass, who knows.
[/quote]
I think I am swaying towards one from either gedo or thomann at the top of my budget :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1361816927' post='1991402']
I think I am swaying towards one from either gedo or thomann at the top of my budget :)
[/quote]

That was my final choice when i was looking. Second hand would have been great but it was too much of a minefield. I might have got a lot more for my money, or i might have been utterly ripped off. Too risky for me. The warranty and option to return are a big reassurance.
If you do go for new, it's worth asking for a discount. Gedo did me about 50 quid off and i just asked politely. A more pushy person would probably have got more.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1361825147' post='1991644'] How much extra was the adjustable bridge if you don't mind me asking? Adjustable bridge and an ebony board are top of my list as I presume with those features a decent setup including a board shoot would be possible, playable needs to be put before the sound by the looks of things. [/quote]

We agreed on 820 euros all in. Bass is 585 on their site, different strings were 89, delivery is 95 so that leaves 100 euros for the bridge. Although, they fitted the strings and bridge and it's well set-up so presumably there was some work involved in those changes.

OH dear I have emailed Gedo and they can do me a nice deal on the half carved in antique brown with an adjustable bridge fitted and fitted with Spirocore weichs, I am sure that would make a great first upright wouldn't it? I am not going to be the next virtuoso and at this stage I am still unsure of the amount of movement I am going to recover after breaking my wrist (the thing that got me started on uprights really).

Looks like the black pre EB is going unless I can raise the funds from else where, but that is not what the wife has agreed to anyway :)

Well its not about the EUB really , I have hooks in my little practice room which have a jazz, 2 Ray 5s and, 2 Ray4s on at the moment, I have an acoustic bass in the bedroom up the corner where I am hoping to fit the DB, to do that I want to sell the black pre EB Ray to free up a hook to hang the acoustic bass from, I might sell my Jazz bass too at some point and have a guitar hanging up that currently lives in the cupboard, thats it then no more changes ever,, well maybe....:lol:

This is interesting thread. I wouldn't discount anyone's opinion, even if the opinions seem conflicting! I can only reply based on my experience:

I had a really horrible Stentor Student bass (I say horrible but the Gear 4 Music is worse!), it was my first bass and like you I didn't have anything to really compare it to when I first got it. It was all I could afford and that was the bottom line. In the end I guess price is also going to be your bottom line. I have only very recently upgraded to a Bryant, which is a 'serious instrument', properly made and sounding and responding in ways the Stentor never was going to. I was told I'd outgrown the Stentor quite a few years before I replaced it, because double basses are really expensive!

Personally I've never thought a bass over a grand but under 3 grand seems like a wise purchase unless secondhand. As some people have noted, there is a world of difference between a ply and a fully carved bass. There is also a world of difference between different ply basses and different carved basses.
Part of me says to advise you in the direction of a cheap (ish) bass, something you don't have to fight to play, but isn't going to break the bank. I'd go secondhand if I was going to do it all again, so as not to lose resale value and also because there are some very solidly built ply basses from the latter half of the 20th century that are kicking around, made to a much higher standard than Stentor or Gear4Music instruments (sorry I haven't played on a strunal so can't offer an opinion) They don't sound particularly amazing as a rule but can be made reasonably playable if they have a nice Ebony board (though I find ply instruments a tad unresponsive) and might in fact sound amazing with gut strings on.

Once you've got one, get to know the instrument, get some lessons, talk to some players at gigs, stay away from basschat for a while and play the thing. Then come back on here when you're complaining of pain, rest, repeat the process!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1361922473' post='1993269']
Haha tricky ain't it! If a used one came up at the right time that I knew was a good one I'd take it but how would I know? I'm hooping with an ebony board, adjustable bridge and spirocore strings a decent Luthier should be able to make it playable even if the sound is little lacking.
[/quote]

I took a chance the seller was an honest guy, and so it turned out. Still had to spend on setup etc, but the basic quality of the instrument was excellent for the price.

I would trust a long-term seller on BC to be straight about the bass.

Hopefully not to add another conflicting point. But as Fatback said, if the seller is honest its all good. The guy i bought my bass of was so trusting he let me take the bass of him without paying a penny so i could bring it to my teacher and see what he thought. I then went to Scotland got stuck there because of the volcano's in Iceland, and eventually paid him two weeks later after being in full contact with him about what was going on. So possibly see if you can pay a deposit if you do find a localish second hand bass and bring it to a Luthier or a professional to check out.

But any way good luck and hopefully you find something so you can get playing as soon as possible.

I started on a basic gear4music bass that I ordered online. I've just upgraded to a late 1800's German flatback. As soon as I got the gear4music bass I started getting loads more gigs and it wasn't long before I had earned back the money I'd paid for it (plus the £100 setup).

I definitely think it would be worth considering something cheap that can get you used to playing an upright before shelling out on something better. I managed to sell my gear4music on to a friend and didn't really lose much money on it so happy days.

[quote name='alexpea' timestamp='1362138745' post='1996242']
I started on a basic gear4music bass that I ordered online. I've just upgraded to a late 1800's German flatback. As soon as I got the gear4music bass I started getting loads more gigs and it wasn't long before I had earned back the money I'd paid for it (plus the £100 setup).

I definitely think it would be worth considering something cheap that can get you used to playing an upright before shelling out on something better. I managed to sell my gear4music on to a friend and didn't really lose much money on it so happy days.
[/quote]

This is where I am at mate, The Gedo one I am after would surely sell on for a decent price? Half carved, ebony board, proper tuners, adjustable bridge and fitted with Spirocores. If I looked after it surely I would get back £650-750 for it?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1362174561' post='1996916']
Fingers crossed I am ordering my gedo bass tomorrow! :)
[/quote]

Always fun when you get large objects arriving at the door. especialy when you have a nosey neighbour makes you want to put a big label on the box saying DEATH RAY.