Why become a member? ×

Marketplace Subscriptions

Hamster

I think that the making a charge for selling was inevitable really and I've no problem with paying if it means that the Forum keeps going. A question which I thought somebody else would have thrown in by now - what about people who put things up for trade only?? Is there going to be a charge for that?

I think that the 4% statistic is a bit misleading too - how many of the 25,000 or so members are actually active - there are lots of members who haven't posted in years.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1362595891' post='2001932']
I think that the making a charge for selling was inevitable really and I've no problem with paying if it means that the Forum keeps going. A question which I thought somebody else would have thrown in by now - what about people who put things up for trade only?? Is there going to be a charge for that?

I think that the 4% statistic is a bit misleading too - how many of the 25,000 or so members are actually active - there are lots of members who haven't posted in years.
[/quote]

Hi,

The 4% statistic was based upon users active in the marketplace over a recent period (I forget exactly) but bearing in mind how I emailed every single person who donated individually (and still do), I wasn't very busy!

As for trade items, users state a trade value instead of a price. This will be made a little clearer in the next update when you post a listing.

Cheers for the support
ped

The closure of the left handed thread has bugged me if I am honest guys, I am not against paying but now having to search through pages and pages of right handed FS before I find a lefty? Can a new section not be put in just for lefty sales? Then every thread will have the subs option?

To me that makes perfect sense?!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362651369' post='2002658']
Or make it a requirement to include 'LEFTY' in the FS thread title to make it searchable?
[/quote]

Yeah, one of the future developments we're planning (when we can afford it) is to have some tickboxes for things like number of strings, manufacturer and RH/LH etc to help with search indexing.

I'm sorry the thread got closed, I wouldn't have minded leaving it open but it would be harder to moderate as it was already being subverted by someone listing there rather than on the forum.

Perhaps a 'lefty' subforum might work, what do you think?

A lefty subforum would be brilliant, I intend to sell a cab on here in the coming weeks and would be happy to pay the 20 quid here than ebay fees of more. A place for lefty sales adds would be great and make me feel even more happy here than I already am.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1362652995' post='2002696']
Perhaps a 'lefty' subforum might work, what do you think?
[/quote]

Fine with me - as a 'righty' I think 'lefties' are weird, but that doesn't mean we can just ignore them, does it..? :lol:[size=4] ;)[/size]

[size=4]* hides in cupboard under stairs *[/size]

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1362653195' post='2002701']
A lefty subforum would be brilliant, I intend to sell a cab on here in the coming weeks and would be happy to pay the 20 quid here than ebay fees of more. A place for lefty sales adds would be great and make me feel even more happy here than I already am.
[/quote]

OK thanks for that, I'll fly it up the flag pole and see what the others think.

Ideally 'tagging' will catch on which will help everyone find what they're looking for, so we may also look at highlighting that field when people list, to suggest the kinds of tags they should put and how they'll help people find items.

Thanks for bearing with us, I know it's not 100% perfect yet, however I feel we've arrived at a very comfortable half-way-house and can now rest up and plan how to further refine the system to make it even better.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362653287' post='2002704']
Fine with me - as a 'righty' I think 'lefties' are weird, but that doesn't mean we can just ignore them, does it..? :lol: ;)

* hides in cupboard under stairs *
[/quote]

Perhaps an extension to the 'ignore' function is in order ;)

I'd suggested the tagging option and specifying 'left hand' in for sale ad titles to make searching easier. Not only that it is free and no overhead in implementation. However, I think a left hand sub forum in the bass guitar marketplace is a good idea. I'd rather see that than just one long convoluted thread.

One thing you may want to look at...

Making my payment, when I clicked on the Paypal link I got the following browser security warning (yep, IE8)

[quote]
[b]Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?[/b]

This webpage contains content that will not be delivered using a secure HTTPS connection, which could compromise the security of the entire webpage.
[/quote]

I think it may be due to the basschat logo image ([url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/pedullaman/logo190.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/pedullaman/logo190.jpg[/url])

If you then click the [b]No[/b] button, the payment amount then changes to[b] zero[/b]. Clicking the Yes button preserves the £20 fee.

(Although having tried it again since making a payment, the £20 doesn't disappear now, but the Yes/No button does affect whether the logo is displayed)

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1362780082' post='2004857']
good work :)

FYI trying to amend the for sale price of a pedal I listed the other day, and the new marketplace doesn't seem to let you change the for sale price which appears at the top of the FS thread...
[/quote]

Hi Gaz

Cheers for that - and yes we planned on changing that tomorrow.

Thanks
ped