Why become a member? ×

Marketplace Subscriptions

Hamster

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Hi everyone,[/color][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]This discussion left us with a lot to think about. [/color][/font]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193461-bcs-new-classifieds-section-your-opinions-please/"]http://basschat.co.u...pinions-please/[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Approximately 4% of members who have sold items on the website have donated and the income generated isn't enough to support ongoing development of the site. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So as a follow up, we'll be introducing paid advertising to the marketplace.[/font][/color][list]
[*][i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A year of unlimited ads - [/font][/color][/i][i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]£20[/font][/color][/i]
[*][i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]One-off advert[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] - £7[/font][/color][/i]
[*][i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Items under £50 are free[/font][/color][/i]
[/list]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In addition we'll create a 'sell anything' forum where members who have subscribed can post anything (within reason) for sale. These items won't show unless you're signed in. There will be some minor changes to the Terms and Conditions to allow these changes to be managed in the event of misuse of the marketplace. You can see the new Rule 16 here: [/font][/color][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]http://basschat.co.u...tion=boardrules[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]At first the only option to pay will be through PayPal (you don't have to have a PayPal account), but by next week we will also use a Worldpay option. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Our thanks also to those who have so generously supported the site in the past financially and otherwise, we're really grateful for your contributions![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Kiwi, Ped & Hamster[/font][/color]

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1361882615' post='1992327']
When does this start, and where do we pay....Sorry if I've missed it somewhere, scoured the OP but cannot see these details.
[/quote]

Hi, yes it's going to start probably on Monday and Worldpay about a week later. The payment screen will pop up as you list an advert - it's all built in and seamless. As soon as you have paid you won't see any difference at all to the way the site operates; this was decided to be critical from the discussion we had linked above.

Thanks
ped

thankyou for the heads up, it all seems very sensible and totally reasonable.

one small question, the any items forum, will we be allowed to ask for trades? i've got a bike gathering dust in the spare room that i'd happily trade for something bass-related, and would wanted ads be allowed for non-bass/music related items?

Matt

I wouldn't have seen this post if it hadn't popped up in 'View new content' & as I don't advertise very often might not have seen it for a very long time.

I am very happy to subscribe for all the benefits the forum brings to me, not just the 'pay to advertise' - perhaps a general SUBSCRIBE tab could be added somewhere prominent?

Cheerz, John

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1361883838' post='1992347']
thankyou for the heads up, it all seems very sensible and totally reasonable.

one small question, the any items forum, will we be allowed to ask for trades? i've got a bike gathering dust in the spare room that i'd happily trade for something bass-related, and would wanted ads be allowed for non-bass/music related items?

Matt
[/quote]

Hi Matt

If you intend to trade an item in the basses/amps/cabs/fx/eub forums you'll be asked to enter a trade value.

As the 'any items' forum is for subscribers only, you can put anything you like in there as stating a trade value over £50 won't matter - you'd have paid already.

Does that make sense?

Cheers!
ped

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1361884515' post='1992373']
The first Fedora @ £49.99 I'll have first dibs on in that case :P
[/quote]

Yes, we're going to have to keep our eyes peeled, and if anyone spots such handiwork please report it as it'll spoil it for everyone!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1361884706' post='1992379']
Hi Matt

If you intend to trade an item in the basses/amps/cabs/fx/eub forums you'll be asked to enter a trade value.

As the 'any items' forum is for subscribers only, you can put anything you like in there as stating a trade value over £50 won't matter - you'd have paid already.

Does that make sense?

Cheers!
ped
[/quote]

yup that all makes perfect sense, Thanks.

Matt

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1361810135' post='1991238']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Approximately 4% of members who have sold items on the website have donated[/font][/color][/quote]

I think that is a disgusting statistic :( Some people need to take a long, hard look at themselves and their motivations.

There is a prompt (when you post an advert) to donate if the item sells, so these tightarses have ignored that and refused to pay towards the upkeep of the very platform that allowed them to sell their item!! How selfish and greedy can you get? :o

I always donate when I sell something, and have even made donations when I haven't sold anything for while. BassChat has given me a lot of pleasure over the last few years and I don't mind paying for that. But now I am being asked to pay for all the freeloaders who won't put their hands in their pockets, even when they have just sold something!!! Grrrrr! :angry:

That "Grrrr!" is directed at the skinflints, not at the site admins! :)

I personally email every person who donates, and sometimes I can be quite busy - other times, there's nothing for weeks. Once there was nothing for 3 weeks straight!

Still, we made our bed - but I think we'd all like the site to develop so this should be a more sustainable solution.

Cheers!

I have to hold my hand up; I don't think I've made a donation (did buy a t-shirt!) and this does seem both reasoned and reasonable. I'm sure we'd all hate to be BC-less! Interestingly, while searching for a particular fellow, I couldn't help but notice just how many zero-post members there are on here. Why sign up in that case?
[quote name='ped' timestamp='1361882893' post='1992330']
Hi, yes it's going to start probably on Monday and Worldpay about a week later. The payment screen will pop up as you list an advert - it's all built in and seamless. As soon as you have paid you won't see any difference at all to the way the site operates; this was decided to be critical from the discussion we had linked above.

Thanks
ped
[/quote]
Will we get a pop-up if we already have a 'for sale' active?

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1361890674' post='1992529']
I have to hold my hand up; I don't think I've made a donation (did buy a t-shirt!) and this does seem both reasoned and reasonable. I'm sure we'd all hate to be BC-less! Interestingly, while searching for a particular fellow, I couldn't help but notice just how many zero-post members there are on here. Why sign up in that case?
[/quote]

Posts in the marketplace don't count, so 0 post members probably just signed up to sell, which is great for us as a buying public, hence the 'one off' fee option. It's priced to encourage users to stay around and join in.

If you already have a 'for sale' post active it'll remain where it is and any new posts will be subject to the new rule. Obviously any people who try editing an old item to re-list a new one will be given an afternoon with the Spankulator! We'll probably go through a phase of locking completed sales threads for a bit but want to keep disruption to a minimum.

Cheers!

P.S thanks for buying a shirt - it all helps!

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1361894861' post='1992611']
Will there be a voluntary sign-up page? Might as well go for it so I don't have to think about it again later..
[/quote]

It might be possible, yes - however we won't be ready until Monday, so watch this space!

Thanks for the support
ped

I've bought a fair number of items through the marketplace (plus Tees and lanyards), though I've never actually sold anything. That 4% statistic is a bit disappointing so I can fully understand the proposed change.

My only concern is that if only 4% of sellers want to pay a small amount for selling through BC then will there be a big drop-off in the number of items for sale?

I guess we'll find out in the coming months.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361896952' post='1992664']

My only concern is that if only 4% of sellers want to pay a small amount for selling through BC then will there be a big drop-off in the number of items for sale?

[/quote]

I think there will definitely be less incentive to do one-off listings for things between £50 and £100. Bearing in mind that it's an up-front fee for a non-guaranteed sale, a point that bobbass4k made in the original thread. £7 is more than I was expecting - most of the concensus in the thread linked to by Hamster was for a fee of around £2 per listing.

Also in that thread, Ped stated "Guys .. I've said a few times now, items under £100 or so will be free to list.". I'm a little disappointed that Ped hasn't stuck to this: lowering the limit to £50 quid is going to take a lot of things like effects pedals into that zone where it becomes a big gamble to list them.

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1361899811' post='1992755']
Do you have to pay to subscribe to the sell anything forum? like the £20 membership fee, will allow you exclusive access to that particular section?
[/quote]

Hi Phil

Anyone who pays the £20 fee to advertise will have access. You can pay the fee to post items there exclusively if you want to, but the £20 fee gives you the right to post anything anywhere.

One off £7 listings are just that, and you won't get access to the 'sell anything' forum.

We don't want people signing up just to flog dirty mattresses!

Hope that makes sense?

Cheers