Why become a member? ×

Gary Willis right hand technique

Conan

Apologies if this has been posted before. To my shame, I am not a frequent visitor to this section of BassChat... :blush:

Willis makes some very interesting points about the positioning and use of the right (plucking) hand in this video, from about 1:20 onwards. There is no doubt it works for him, but I think many players might find it just too much of a change to incorporate everything that he recommends....

Definitely worth taking ten minutes to watch though!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XYOptXkE9k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XYOptXkE9k[/url]

I've been more than slightly interested in GW's approach for a very long time, Michael Manring is similarly clued up re technique, particularly his left hand, I recommend trying to find his old VHS tape (nope cant remember the name, not the Starlicks one), he is utterly completist in his approach to warming up and applying his concept totally evenly across all the fingers and strings. It aint exactly the most exciting watch but apply his ideas for a few weeks and it completely changes your approach.

I saw the original GW video and have to say, I was attracted to the technique but found it cumbersome. What has actually happened over the years is that I have adopted elements of that technique for certain passages and have incorporated it into my arsenal of available options. I have done similar with Anthony Jackson's muting techniques, for instance. What I have as a result is a mixture of several different techniques I can employ at will. I find that GW's technique is very good for a certain kind of fusion/funk sensibility but it sounds overly contrived in, say, a jazz context (his 'standards' cd with Allan Holdsworth is horrible, for instance). I certainly find his sound lacking in something because he doesn't 'dig in' and his concept of swing is not one I would share. A great player, unquestionably, but not a favourite.

True there is definitely a place for it, I dotn think I manage to remain anywhere near as light fingered as he does, doesnt always work with the funk thing I tend to do.

However I've been playing with 3 fingers rh technique soince before I'd heard of GW, as it just sort of made sense to me to be able to sue that third digit to get across strings more fluidly.

Again I'm no slave to his concept, I certainly dont think my technique is remotely as well defined for a staret, and like you Bilbo I've borrowed idea from all over the place to get to wherever it is I am now exactly :D

Certainly the 'keep your wrist straight' part is common sense rather than anything radical. Remember the early 90s, when it almost seemed that unless you could crank your wrist past 90 degrees you were sooo passé?
That aspect rather explains why I tend to play standing up, as I've never found a straight-wristed sitting position (gotta be some innuendo in there.. :blink: )
that really worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried and tried to get this technique and even had lessons with him but even after a year couldn't play anything that sounded half decent. I guess it suits some people and not others. It didn't help that every time I noodled using my existing technique everything sounded a million times better. I do play quite a bit lighter and pay attention to my wrist as wat he says at the beginning of the vid is very true. I still have a fond spot for him as a player and whilst his concept of "swing" may not appeal to real jazzers, he's still a class player.

• 4 months later...