Why become a member? ×

Pangborn Warrior bass - not for sale!

basstheface

Hi

Just wanted to share this pic of my Pangborn Warrior bass as they are quite rare nowadays. I've owned this since the mid 80s and it was my main bass for several years. It has a mahogony body with maple strip inserts, a through neck, the fingerboard is ebony and 34" scale, Schaller tuning pegs and a Badass bridge. It has tons of depth, clarity and sustain. The neck is quite slim, similar to a Fender Jazz at the nut. It has an active/passive switch and volume, bass, mid and treble controls. You can switch between neck, bridge pick ups or both on together. It's a delight to play.

Ashley Pangborn basses were popular in the 80s. I believe Mark King used them for a while back then among others. Ashley seems to have disappeared off the scene many years ago which is a shame because he made beautiful basses.

Hope you like it!

Cheers :)

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1361967721' post='1993697']
Lovely looking bass. Doesn't MK have one in the 'Sun Goes Down' video?

I love the headstock, too.

Cheers
ped
[/quote]

MK did indeed have one of these . Genuine British exotica from the 80s , I remember nearly buying one of these the summer after I left school. I went in a guitar shop one rainy afternoon and they had one exactly the same colour as this but with an omega cutout body shape and a graphite neck . The only reason I didn't buy it was because it neck - dived on a strap . I seem to remember Ashley Pangbourne packed it in and went to live in Germany .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1361969299' post='1993740']
I bet if Ashley Pangbourne started making basses again there are still plenty of people who would buy them .
[/quote]

Especially if they have graphite necks! I didn't know about those.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1361969842' post='1993752']
Especially if they have graphite necks! I didn't know about those.
[/quote]

They were definitely an option at the time . I seem to remember the bass player for The Cutting Crew had one back then . They will be [i]very [/i]rare nowadays though .

[quote name='basstheface' timestamp='1361967370' post='1993691']Just wanted to share this pic of my Pangborn Warrior bass as they are quite rare nowadays. Hope you like it![/quote]

Yes, very much, but that is not a Warrior, it's a Warlord (and a Schaller bridge). Nitpicking :)

Edited by GeeCee

My mate, who was born in UK but has played and made his life in Germany for many years, told me he had made a violin body from a solid piece of wood and met Mr Pangborn who made a beautiful neck for it, this was some years ago and he also told me that Ashley unfortunately suffered ill health soon after and he lost track of him.

i remember the adverts and thinking they were fantastic looking basses but i decided to go for a WAL instead mainly because i had heard of them at the time and they had a great rep.

That's a gorgeous looking bass you have tho.

Dave

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9gKLAKBLu8&list=RDQ9gKLAKBLu8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9gKLAKBLu8&list=RDQ9gKLAKBLu8[/url]
I believe MK's Pangborn on the Sun Goes Down video. Check out the instrument crime at the end of the vid. Did he use these before his JayDees? They've similar body shapes.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1417945702' post='2625240']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9gKLAKBLu8&list=RDQ9gKLAKBLu8"]https://www.youtube....t=RDQ9gKLAKBLu8[/url]
Check out the instrument crime at the end of the vid. They've similar body shapes.
[/quote]
Ouch...horrible to watch that at the end.

Both Jaydee and Pangborn were basically Alembic copies of the highest calibre.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1417958846' post='2625410']

Ouch...horrible to watch that at the end.

Both Jaydee and Pangborn were basically Alembic copies of the highest calibre.
[/quote]

Always wondered what that bass was in that video. Always loved the look of it over his jaydees.