Why become a member? ×

Miking an EUB

Alun

Hi, just wondering if anyone has ever attempted miking up an EUB?

I've sometimes been frustrated by the fact that the acoustic sound of my Wav isn't always that faithfully reproduced by the piezo pickup so this morning I tried recording a little using the internal mics on a Zoom H2 recorder and voila - very realistic upright bass :)

I may need too much mic gain for live work ( might try it next week as I've got a couple of gigs on upright) but for recording it sounds great.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='205491' date='May 24 2008, 12:20 PM']Hi, just wondering if anyone has ever attempted miking up an EUB?

I've sometimes been frustrated by the fact that the acoustic sound of my Wav isn't always that faithfully reproduced by the piezo pickup so this morning I tried recording a little using the internal mics on a Zoom H2 recorder and voila - very realistic upright bass :)

I may need too much mic gain for live work ( might try it next week as I've got a couple of gigs on upright) but for recording it sounds great.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

Haw did you do that Alun? got an H2 in teh post so I'm curious about its capabilities ..

Meanwhile my mate who plays doghouse has just bought a pickup system that has a piezo and two mics as well ...

I only got it yesterday so still experimenting but basically had it aimed at the bridge about 6-8 inches away with the front mics , which have a 90 degree pick up ( the rear ones do 120 degrees so better for bands, ambience, etc). IIRC, the gain was on Medium with the level boosted a tiny bit.

Did pick up my breathing a lot but a bit of time sorting out positioning would cure that. Haven't tried recording arco yet, may try that later.

Haven't experimented enough with it yet but so far I'm very impressed.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='205515' date='May 24 2008, 12:57 PM']I only got it yesterday so still experimenting but basically had it aimed at the bridge about 6-8 inches away with the front mics , which have a 90 degree pick up ( the rear ones do 120 degrees so better for bands, ambience, etc). IIRC, the gain was on Medium with the level boosted a tiny bit.

Did pick up my breathing a lot but a bit of time sorting out positioning would cure that. Haven't tried recording arco yet, may try that later.

Haven't experimented enough with it yet but so far I'm very impressed.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

That all sounds positive. I like breathing sounds on recordings of acoustic instruments ... or Keith Jarrett grunting :)

I've miked my Clifton EUB sometimes for recording - to get some fingernoise and slap. Works pretty well when mixed in with the bassy sound of the Gage pickup. I've also still got the old Fishman BP100 pickup stuck to the bridge. This has got a lot of toppy edgy fingernoise on it that I hate in isloation, but if I can I record two tracks it can be mixed in (with most of the the lows eq'd away) to give a good "up close" effect.

I'd only bother in small group settings. With more instruments in the mix the subleties get lost, and its back to thumpy bass....

BB