Why become a member? ×

Gedo bass ordered!

Only just had a little play, I have notice that the lack of earth on the bass end does not help with hissing but what can you do? It raises the gain being input on the amp quite a bit which was one of my main issues (is this what you meen by impedence matching?) I have certainly got a fuller sound now too although I do have a really good amp as it is which many people find OK with no extras at all. I will report back once I have had a play around with it :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1363723882' post='2016653']
Only just had a little play, I have notice that the lack of earth on the bass end does not help with hissing but what can you do? It raises the gain being input on the amp quite a bit which was one of my main issues (is this what you meen by impedence matching?) I have certainly got a fuller sound now too although I do have a really good amp as it is which many people find OK with no extras at all. I will report back once I have had a play around with it :)
[/quote]

Any idea if the hiss is the preamp trying to lift a very weak signal or is it just a noisy preamp?

• 1 month later...

How are you getting on with he bass now you've had it a while Pete, still loving it or are there any issues?
I'm about ready to order one and thought I'd see how you felt about yours now you've lived with it for a while. I'll be moving on from an EUB as well and was going to get a Thomann bass after the excellent service I got from them when I ordered my EUB but I'm leaning towards a Gedo now after reading this thread, and seeing your pictures :)
Look forward to hearing from you, or any other Gedo owners.

Strangely I was just playing it (for about an hour) and sat down to look at the old Basschat!

I love it still and such a good company to deal with, never seen an item so well packed! It hasnt developed any issues or anything, starting to sound better the more I play it if anything. Obviously as a novice I cant tell you much more than that but I have not felt "what if I had gone for a Thomann instead" once so thats good IME :) Shame you so far away or you would be welcome to try it for yourself, fwiw I still play my Stagg EUB all the time too, about 20% of our set is on the upright now :D

I got a Gedo bass just over a year ago. It's still playing well and I still haven't had it set up since it arrived - haven't felt the need - so clearly they did a good job of that at Gedo. Since it's been here over a year and through all the seasons (including a straight 6 months of winter :/) I guess it's a well constructed bass.

I've never bought a bass from Thomann but I've heard lots of good noises from people who have. I think whichever you decide to go with you should get a good product at a good price.

I've been lurking round these 'help! First double bass!" threads for a while, and suddenly find myself in the position of being offered a job as a db player but owning only eub.

Pete, like yourself I've been playing bg for years, recently got into eub. I wonder if we could meet up so I can pick your brains, compare notes about the journey and maybe have a play of your Gedo? Does that sound a bit cheeky? Gedo does seem like a reliable bargain, I've seen 2nd hand instruments for around that price or less but I don't feel competent to know what I'm looking for. And I can't really afford to make an expensive mistake, this bass is going to have to pay for itself!

All advice gratefully received. I'm in Cambridge by the way.

Cheers!

Oooooh .... I'm nearly convinced. Sounds like great customer service. (I need to lie down for a bit and think about this.)

How did you know where to fit the bridge? Do they send you the instructions on how to put it together?

Also the website says they [i]prepare it in the workshop according to your wishes[/i]. Did you get them to do anything in particular to it beforehand?

Cheers bro'

Al

[quote name='alistair Sutcliffe' timestamp='1367863849' post='2070401']
Mine came with some easily-removable tape on the top marking where to fit the bridge.
[/quote]

Mine didn't, but you can figure out it pretty easily. The bridge should be equidistant from both F-holes, and should be centred ('vertically', or string-length-ically) on the notches in the F-holes.

On mine you could see where the bridge had been fitted to the strings as they fit the bridge and strings then remove the bridge and wrap everything up well, after that it was just a matter of getting it to sit right, took a couple of goes but no problem at all.

As for preparing to your requirements they will fit your choice of bridge and type of strings which obviously takes some effort to shape the bridge to your bass and string silks are easy to ruin if like me you are new to db, gedo fitted mine spotlessly.

Pot of pops rosin and a reasonable bow tucked in the quilted gig bag were just the cherries on top, loving mine more each day, I'm sure its starting to develope a better sound?