Why become a member? ×

Amateur question about guitar amps, combos and cabs

Truckstop

Hello all,

So I took up playing guitar about a year ago and I think I'm getting pretty good! I'm in a covers band playing simple songs and having a good time, but we recently decided that we should try and get a few gigs for fun.

I use a Vox Cambridge (9310, 30w model) which sounds awesome but it sometimes feels like I could do with a little more power/volume. At the moment I'm running it as loud as I dare and I'm scared of knackering it out, especially if we start playing a venue any bigger than your normal sized pub!

Would adding an extension cab get me that extra volume I'm after?

I already use an amp stand to angle the combo so I can hear myself fine, it's more making sure that I'll have enough volume to cope with venues without faffing about with the PA.

Cheers!

Alex

Hi Alex

It`s roughly the same in the guitar world as bass - more speakers will make a world of difference. A 30w non-valve amp will struggle in a band with a drummer if it has only the one speaker. If an extension cab can be connected, this will make the size of the sound a lot bigger.

But in all honesty, if you have to buy the extension speaker, I`d look more towards a higher powered solid-state amp. Of course a low-wattage valve amp will be a lot louder, but also a lot costlier as well. But a 50 or 100 watt solid state shouldn`t be too much.

You`ll probably find as well that extension speakers for guitar will cost about the same as a 50 or 100 watt amp anyway, these usually being built for use with high-powered valve amps.

Cheers Lozz,

Just wanted to make sure that another speaker isn't a complete waste of time!

I don't really want to buy a different amp because I really like the Cambridge; I dunno it just really suits me and sounds exactly like I want it to.

Anyway, someone I know knows I like Vox stuff and has found me a Vox V112NT for peanuts. Worth a shot?

Alex

Theory says an extension cab will add [i]some[/i] volume, but whether it's as much volume as you [i]need[/i] will only become clear when you get in the room with it. It's a suck it and see scenario.

It might also help to change the amp's speaker for something more efficient - I think I read somewhere that a Celestion Vintage 10 is a straight physical swap for the 'Custom Bulldog 10' as supplied.

As Lozz says, 30 SS watts is only ever going to get you so far. You'll need to trade up eventually. Peavey Bandits were always a good bet, though the days when you could get them for £50 are gone :(.

But if you really like the sound of your Cambridge, try miking it through the PA in rehearsal. Got to be worth the attempt, and a low-end Shure and a cable's the cheapest option.

I think that the extension cab would be worth a shot as you should be able to make a cool wee stack out of it :) A 10, 12 combination is not unheard of and gives great micing possibilities.

I noticed that your amp has a line out as well, so this would be easy to connect direct to the PA, and that amp would be all you need for any gig.

Of course, the purest way to amplify your amp and leave the tone intact is to just stick an sm57 in front of it.

+1 to the other responses - I'm not familiar with the stock speaker, but check the efficiency as mentioned - I got a really *huge* increase in headroom swapping from an alnico jensen reissue P12R to a Celestion Vintage 30 (different sound too, admittedly but efficiency really makes a huge difference)

If you do decide to trade up and you like the Vox sound (and want something on a budget), keep an eye out for a used Laney VC30 combo - they are all valve so you can drive the power stages much harder and effectively get more volume, and if you're regularly playing at proper gig volumes you'll love playing through an all tube amp :) They go quite cheap used and sound really good.

The V10 is quite an efficient speaker, but has a very non-vox voice. If you want one then I have a V10-40 sat around that we can do a deal on. Jensen Alnicos are desperately inefficient, and using a P10R with a 14 watt single ended amp I really struggled to hear myself in a band situation where the same amp with a G10-35L was completely fine, even on 6 watts.

For greater efficiency still try an Eminence Ragin Cajun or Ramrod. Not cheap, but very efficient (about 100dB at 1watt) and well balanced tonally, the RC is a bit more rounded, the Ramrod a bit more aggressive. If the back is open on your combo then you could try closing it off with a piece of ply to make the amp project more.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1362522923' post='2000907']
Hmmm, might have a look at the Celestion Vintage 30 then!

Cheers!

Alex
[/quote]

Definitely worth it. When I was playing guitar I used a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab. Had the stock speakers in, but after a while I gassed for different so put a Vintage 30 and a Heritage in there. Next band practice we got halfway through the first song to my lead solo. So I stepped up, played, and afterwards all the guys asked "that solo was great, when did you write that?"

It was the same solo I`d been playing for the last 3 months. The new speakers were just so much better at projecting it. The Vintage 30 is a bit "spiky" on its own, but in the mix it will make a fair difference.

I think if you add an extension speaker (assuming that's possible) you may be working the amp more than is ideal. Plus you've got the additional kit to lump round. I would suggest you get a new combo - a 40 watt valve combo will probably do the trick. Alternatively buy another Cambridge and use a stereo pedal to connect to both amps. I did this with a Vox AC30 years ago and it sounded great.

[quote name='BigLicks67' timestamp='1362575389' post='2001498']
Alternatively buy another Cambridge and use a stereo pedal to connect to both amps. I did this with a Vox AC30 years ago and it sounded great.
[/quote]

That could work, with the Vox V112NT you mentioned Alex. Double-Vox - am sure you would approve.

My guitar playing brother in law owns a Fender de ville combo with 4x10 speakers which is a b'stard to hump about. So he bought himself a nice light 75watt randall tranny amp for £45 off ebay and it blows the roof off. It's only very rarely that the de ville sees the light of day anymore. Which goes to show you don't need to pay a lot of money for a decent tranny guitar amp and under 100w is more than loud enough for most band situations.

This is him playing it with Maggie Bell up in Dundee. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0apNorFTANI&list=FLGk2nB08ZQx-TOS2AMlSUug&feature=mh_lolz

Edited by gjones

• 8 months later...

You could always just mike it up. Cost of a decent shure sm57 not far of that of an extension cab and would be a good investment which you will use for years to come.
As far as I am aware, and stand by to being corrected, but adding an extra cab will not physically increase the volume output of the amp, merely allowing you to make the sound 'feel' bigger by having a larger spread and maybe allowing one speaker per side of stage. Changing the stock speaker for a more efficient one will make more difference but will change the sound you like too.

@Truckstop - it all comes down to what you want to spend, but your best bang-for-buck would be something like a used Fender Hot Rod Deville/Deluxe - they are bloody loud, and rightly popular among working guitarists in pub and club bands.

EDIT - Just belatedly read gjones'post, but still stick to what I said, get a 1x12 if you can!

Edited by JapanAxe

Maybe, i didn't read it right, but i think that Truckstop is saying that he likes his amp and doesn't want a new one.
I would agree that either a fender Hotrod deluxe or a Peavey bandit would be a good buy for him, but he just wants more volume out of what he has. It is the same dilemma that lots of guitarists have had before, myself included. I have a small amp that sounds great at rehearsal volume but not loud enough or changes tone too much at gig volume. I went down the line out plugged into PA route which solves loads of issues but creates loads more.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Yeah I ended up buying that Vox cab I was banging on about and it's perfect for my needs. In reality, he combo on its own is fine for smaller gigs. I only really bring the cab out for rehearsals and large stages (which isn't often!).

I also experimented with the line out before I bought the cab and I wasn't really very happy with it at all. Sounded really brittle through the monitors and I couldn't get over it so I overcompensated with extra bass which ended out sounding sh*t FOH.

Thanks again everyone for all your words of wisdom.

Truckstop

Line out from an amp into the PA needs to go via a speaker simulator like the Hughes & Kettner Red Box otherwise it will sound crap. Also most line outs are wired in before the power amp stage so in an all-valve amp you don't get any of the tonal changes caused by the big power valves which is usually an important aspect of the small amp sound.