Why become a member? ×

Left Handed Discussion Thread

icastle

[quote name='LeftyJ' timestamp='1396205263' post='2410978']there's always leftybassist.com (quite a cool and busy place by the way, although very American with few European members)[/quote]

[i]Busy[/i], yes. [i]Cool[/i] is probably very subjective. There are other LH-friendly places online, like leftyfretz.com, etc. I'm just trying to gauge the interest here to see what would be the best way to serve the LH members.

[quote name='LeftyJ' timestamp='1396205263' post='2410978']
Maybe start a Left-handed thread in the eBay - Weird and wonderful subforum to post links to interesting lefty items on eBay, Gumtree and the likes? :)
[/quote]

That sounds like a good idea and I'm going to suggest it to the admins :)

[quote name='LeftyJ' timestamp='1396205263' post='2410978']
Maybe start a Left-handed thread in the eBay - Weird and wonderful subforum to post links to interesting lefty items on eBay, Gumtree and the likes? :)

[/quote]
Great if you're selling, not so good if you've got your eye on a bargain <_<

[quote name='mcarp555' timestamp='1396209641' post='2411063']
There are other LH-friendly places online, like leftyfretz.com, etc.
[/quote]
The suggestion being that this place is LH-[i]un[/i]friendly..? :huh:

[quote]
I'm just trying to gauge the interest here to see what would be the best way to serve the LH members.
[/quote]
I'd have said in much the same way as it is now. Until manufacturers start producing left-handed amps, cabs, strings, FX, tuners, etc etc etc, I can't see much point in an entire dedicated section. Surely if you want to discuss a purely left-handed issue, you just post in the same area as all the other discussions? Otherwise what's to stop us ending up with a sunburst-only section, or a Stingrays-only section, or any one of a million other categories? Where's the difference?

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1396265901' post='2411488']
The suggestion being that this place is LH-[i]un[/i]friendly..?[/quote]

No, I'm not saying that at all.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1396265901' post='2411488']Until manufacturers start producing left-handed amps, cabs, strings, FX, tuners, etc etc etc, I can't see much point in an entire dedicated section.[/quote]

However, suggestions like this don't strike me as particularly welcome. It's a common righty tactic to bring up nonsensical hyperbole such as the famous question "Where are all the left-handed pianos?".

I was only asking because if you read this thread all the way through, it can be broken down into several subtopics:

1) Discussion about being left-handed in a righty world (at least as far as guitars/basses)
2) Discussion about particular instruments ("I'm getting a..." or "question about...", etc.)
3) Meta-discussions such as the one we're having now about what should be in this thread or elsewhere on the site. The very first post in this thread comes across like it was some sort of major concession. Since I wasn't here then, I don't know if it really was or not.

Now if the consensus is to post in the main areas about basses left and right, then that's fine with me. In fact, I've already posted my review of the Gaskell Thunderbass in the review section, if anyone is interested to read about it. If that is the case, then what is the purpose of this thread, since most of it could be put elsewhere.

But if it's relevant to have a separate thread for LH issues, then it follows that a section allowing for multiple threads would be easier to follow individual items. If we wanted to discuss methods of kicking manufacturers to make more LH models, why have every third or fourth post be someone wanting to talk about how they might be selling their bass or what they saw on eBay this morning. Or vice-versa.

My point is that one thread seems too confining to talk about multiple left-hand issues. But that doesn't mean we need a sub-forum for "left-handed patch cables" or some such nonsense. Still, you can only lead a horse to water, as they say. If the LH players here are satisfied with things as they are, then who am I to argue? Hopefully everyone can chime in with an opinion, without rightys butting in just to troll the issue.

Edited by mcarp555

I don't think anyone's trolling the issue - it is a fact that there are fewer lefties than righties, also because a relatively large number of lefties play righty and, on this website, will count as righties.
As a consequence, any lefty-only section will tend to be much less active than the rest of the forum, and probably feel a bit like the ghetto you objected to above. I'm personally not against having an entire mini-section to ourselves but I'm reasonably sure we'd soon become depressed at is lack of activity.

[quote name='mcarp555' timestamp='1396268874' post='2411538']
without rightys butting in just to troll the issue.
[/quote]
Presumably by that you mean, "right handed people expressing a perfectly valid opinion of their own"?
Oh and by the way, I'm not a 'righty', I'm a 'bass-player'. Same as you.

This discussion does seem to have got a little.....not sure what word is best to use.....elitist maybe in a minority way, hmm. Anyway, I will put my hand up - I am actually right handed for everything other than playing guitar/bass (see mentioned the 'G' word too - stone the heretic) and archery. Have discussed this before, so won't go into it again but yes, the lack of leftie basses is a right pain (although possibly good for my bank account). But a good percentage of the right handed bass community are sympathetic to this and also a good percentage of a bass is universal. I think the suggested leftie ebay thread is a good idea but this thread seems a good home for all leftie discussion. Regarding it being 'squirreled' away, follow this topic and then you get told when someone posts something in this thread and you can come straight here without navigating.

P.S. I posted a review of my Cort in the usual bass section, as it was relevant to the left and right hand versions.

Edited by DorsetBlue

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1396277767' post='2411715']
Regarding it being 'squirreled' away, follow this topic and then you get told when someone posts something in this thread and you can come straight here without navigating.
[/quote] Top suggestion. I have just done that. It is so obvious i didn`t think of it

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1396276720' post='2411699']
Presumably by that you mean, "right handed people expressing a perfectly valid opinion of their own"?
Oh and by the way, I'm not a 'righty', I'm a 'bass-player'. Same as you.
[/quote]

By that, I mean rightys coming into this thread to tell left-handed people things like "get over yerself" or "you shoulda learned other way, then (insert vapid advantage here)".

When I can go into any guitar store and order any model left-handed (with no upcharge), and not have to hear horror stories about salespeople in those stores telling young left-handed players to learn to play with their wrong hand, just to "fit in" and "get by", then I will happily consider myself [u]just[/u] a bass player. Same as you.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1396277767' post='2411715']
Regarding it being 'squirreled' away, follow this topic and then you get told when someone posts something in this thread and you can come straight here without navigating.
[/quote]
Also, of course, it's pinned at the top of the section so it's a lot easier to find than if it was 'floating free' so to speak.

[quote name='mcarp555' timestamp='1396278264' post='2411722']
By that, I mean rightys coming into this thread to tell left-handed people things like "get over yerself" or "you shoulda learned other way, then (insert vapid advantage here)".[/quote]
OK, I've just been through all 268 posts of this entire thread and can find no occurrences of anything like that happening whatsoever in the just-over-a-year that it's been here. So why assume that it's suddenly going to happen? Isn't that just a teensy bit negative?
And if you're going to say 'left-handed people', how about saying 'right-handed people' too, rather than 'righty'? I note that thus far you've not used the word 'lefty' to refer to LH players.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1396279495' post='2411739']
OK, I've just been through all 268 posts of this entire thread and can find no occurrences of anything like that happening whatsoever in the just-over-a-year that it's been here. So why assume that it's suddenly going to happen? Isn't that just a teensy bit negative?
And if you're going to say 'left-handed people', how about saying 'right-handed people' too, rather than 'righty'? I note that thus far you've not used the word 'lefty' to refer to LH players.
[/quote]

When your first post in a left-handed area is to make petty remarks about things like "left-handed amps, cabs, strings, etc." I do have to wonder exactly why you're bothering. The assumption would be that you're not left-handed. Are you just trolling in the LH area?

[quote name='mcarp555' timestamp='1396285399' post='2411843']
When your first post in a left-handed area is to make petty remarks about things like "left-handed amps, cabs, strings, etc." I do have to wonder exactly why you're bothering.
[/quote]
It wasn't a petty remark at all. It was part of a perfectly valid point of view (as valid as yours or anyone else's) regarding the value and/or practicality of segregated LH and RH 'areas'. You seem to be looking for offence where it was neither present nor intended and I really don’t know why. What I am 'bothering' to do is merely attempt to take part in the debate, as is my entitlement as a member of this forum.

[quote]The assumption would be that you're not left-handed. Are you just trolling in the LH area?
[/quote]
Three things.
1. Actually, I am lucky enough to be (to a degree anyway) ambidextrous. Although I don't quite see what this has got to do with it, as I have not criticised or made fun of LH players or people in any way as far as I am aware?
2. No I'm not 'trolling'. See previous remark re: 'valid point of view'.
3. What 'LH area'? As far as I am aware, this forum has never had a 'LH area', or a 'RH area' for that matter.
I really don't understand the level of animosity you seem to have for me. Did I spill your pint or something?

Mike, I think you've overreacted, and kudos to you for apologising. UglyDog isn't a troll or a jerk. And this from someone who is pretty militant too - I'm writing another entry in my LH Resource page blog (currently only in its infancy - link in my sig) and getting rather wound up in the process, so I really feel your pain and anger :D

Let's reboot and start from scratch :)

and...

[url="http://www.lefthandedpiano.com/"]http://www.lefthandedpiano.com/[/url]

Just remember that the people running this forum DID remove the lefty thread and it wad only after protests that it and the dedicated for sale section were re-instated.
I still believe this Discussion thread should be visible in main forum list and have the ability to post dedicated threads within.
As Ive said previously, many topics get lost or missed unless you scour through the whole thread.
Sure, its not as busy but just as important to the peeps its created for.
Get it done please!

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1396355018' post='2412573']
Just remember that the people running this forum DID remove the lefty thread and it wad only after protests that it and the dedicated for sale section were re-instated.
[/quote]

Funny the way that we remember things.
I seem to remember that the thread was removed because it was being abused.

I recall one person kicking up a stink about it, but I didn't pay much attention as we were already in agreement that we'd create a new thread and move any posts that weren't in breach of the T&Cs into it.

I can also remember there being so few of those that I just decided to start again with a blank slate.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1396355018' post='2412573']
Get it done please!
[/quote]

<_< We are currently discussing whether this is a viable proposition.

A lot of things have changed since the stricter forum rules for everyone so to single out lefties as 'abusers' is bizarre.
I was one of a few asking for a new lefty thread at the time and why not?
I wonder if a dedicated thread would still be up for discussion if Sir Paul McCartney were to become a member? Haha.

Anyhoo....keep up the good work. It's a community and I enjoy being a member.

In what way was the thread being abused? And wouldn't a standalone section containing separate threads be easier to manage and protect from abuse, whatever that may be? Why not try creating this new subforum, seeing that the lefty minority is requesting one?

Edited by bluejay