Why become a member? ×

Left Handed Discussion Thread

icastle

Thank you!

Great to have this I think. Lets hope we can have some interesting conversations here.
Certainly makes it easier to find other southpaws to share musings, ask particular questions and even show off instruments.

I queried the Editor of Bass Player magazine recently about the lack of models being produced by bass manufacturers for lefties and he said it was a subject worthy of an article in a future issue of the mag.

Are there any particular basses or models not currently lefthanded that you would like to see put in production and why?

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1363032096' post='2007394']
Thank you!

Great to have this I think. Lets hope we can have some interesting conversations here.
Certainly makes it easier to find other southpaws to share musings, ask particular questions and even show off instruments.

I queried the Editor of Bass Player magazine recently about the lack of models being produced by bass manufacturers for lefties and he said it was a subject worthy of an article in a future issue of the mag.

Are there any particular basses or models not currently lefthanded that you would like to see put in production and why?
[/quote] yea a lefty aerodyne Jazz bass , why?? Cos they look fantastic

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1363036296' post='2007486']
I really wish Kubicki had made Leftys. Mainly because of Sean Malone from Cynic.
[/quote]
Up here in Glasgow area, seeing a brand of bass, left or right-hand could be an event. Never saw a Kubicki in the flesh to even try upside down.
Were they graphite necks like Steinberger, Status, Vigier etc?

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1363032096' post='2007394']
[/quote]

Funnily enough, I queried Joel over the recent absence of the 'Lefty Available?' line in some recent reviews.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1363079387' post='2007879']
Funnily enough, I queried Joel over the recent absence of the 'Lefty Available?' line in some recent reviews.
[/quote]
part of the problem is that althought 13% of the population are lefty's I would say at least half of them learn right handed because right handed guitars are more readily available, a vicious circle I suppose
I'm always a bit mystified as to why we play the way we do given that whatever handedness we are, in our case the left hand is the one with most dexterity, logic would dictate that would be the hand we use for the fingering of the fret board.
Wonder if there's any right handed people that play left handed?

Im one of those lefties who play with the bass strung for a right hander, ie. upside down. Its useful in that I can pick up right hand basses instore, flip them over and have a try. The downside is when I get any lefty instrument I have to reverse the nut and sometimes the bridge saddles.
At the moment I only have one right hand bass, an Aria fretless. The rest are all lefties. Easier for balance, neck access and not interfering with the controls mid tune.
A symmetrical bodied bass works best for just flipping like a Hofner Violin or Gibson EB/SG bass.

Edited by sblueplanet

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1363089084' post='2008134']
Me lol - see the 'A Lefty Lament...' thread.
[/quote]
[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1363093981' post='2008263']
Me.
[/quote]
Yes I thought there might be, but why? and if it's because naturally held it left handed, do you do other stuff left handed

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1363096307' post='2008348']
Yes I thought there might be, but why? and if it's because naturally held it left handed, do you do other stuff left handed
[/quote]

Only archery so far. My excuse is that I was a brass player when I was a kid and 'fingering' the notes with my right hand is now engrained in my noggin. I have tried rightie when I was a teenager and now with my kid's guitars and I just can't do it.

The first time I picked up a guitar I naturally held it left handed and I naturally picked out bass lines and started playing them, so bass it was for me. Tried right handed briefly but couldn't do it so stayed left handed. I do most things left handed.

But only yesterday, I scanned the www for available L/H basses and if you're not after a bottom of the range model or want something that doesn't look like a Fender you're stuffed, as usual.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1363096307' post='2008348']
[/quote]

I can't even hold a R/H instrument,let alone play one.Just feels totally wrong.Everything else,I'm predominantly right handed.I believe Jimi Hendrix had the same issue.Good job the guitar teacher at my school never taught him.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1363297291' post='2011348']
Can't seem to find the new "lefty basses for sale" thread anywhere?, only looked on the mobile site not the full version tho'
[/quote]
Its there, after you click on the Basses For Sale link. Nothing posted yet.