Why become a member? ×

Which Plectrum?

acidbass

Hello guys,

Just wondering which plectrums you pickstyle players all use?

I've recently started playing with a plectrum for a few songs in my new band, and I'm currently using Dunlop Tortex Yellows (0.73mm) and am very happy with them.

So....any suggestions? What's your favourite?

Cheers,

Danny

I went years without using picks until I joined a band which did blues'y rock and then found a new lease of life being able to dig in with a plectrum. It's brilliant now and I spend equal amounts of time swapping between thumb, fingers and plectrum but kinda enjoying the plectrum the most. Dunno why, felt for ages that using a plectrum was a cop out and "real" bassists didn't need them. However, I've realised that there's nothing in the "rule book" to say that one has to be tied to one way of producing a note than another.

Anyway, to answer your question, I use the Jim Dunlop Gels, the Light one which is coloured blue. Before I came across these, I'd tried several makes and gauges and found that the lighter picks actually help me sound better than the heavier ones.

Something about the "give" that gives me the attack initially but then the flexibility of the pick bends a little and the "after note" helps fill out the sound as it comes across the string. Plus, it tends to be easier to play grace notes a lot easier, the heavier picks i found either hit the string or not wheras I feel there's a lot more inbetween with a lighter plectrum.

I can't believe I've just spent as long as I have talking about plectrums! lol

T

Landstrom Sharkfins -- the white ones, with a serrated edge. I feel a bit embarrassed about admitting this, for some reason, but I've used them on gu*tars since I was a teenager (long, long ago). The ridged edge gives a nice, full sound.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='acidbass' post='21553' date='Jun 21 2007, 07:47 PM']Hello guys,

Just wondering which plectrums you pickstyle players all use?

I've recently started playing with a plectrum for a few songs in my new band, and I'm currently using Dunlop Tortex Yellows (0.73mm) and am very happy with them.

So....any suggestions? What's your favourite?

Cheers,

Danny[/quote]

I use t'yellows also.

Anything thats in my wallet at the time! May sound like a strange place to keep em but I know Ive always got me wallet on me so if I keep them there I know Ill have one.
At the moment there's a heavey Planet Waves my guitarist gave me, plus a Tortex 1mm and possible a little Dunlop Jazz III which I never use so dont know why its in there!
Basically as long as its thick, say 0.73mm up, Ill use it though I used to use the Big Stubby 3mm ones and found that cuz my hands get pretty sweaty I have to have a vice-like grip on my pick and found that because of that my hand would ache as they're too stiff.
Only use a pick on one song so far so dont really have a favourite.
Andy

[b]Dunlop Big Stubby 2mm[/b]

Used to use thinner grey nylon picks as I thought thick = clicky
but I find the more solid the pick the smoother the sound

I also like the indent on the 'Stubby' stops the pick from slipping when sweaty

I like Tortex .60mm (orange ones). Used .73 yellow before, but I prefer the tone from lighter orange picks.
I think it's great discussing & comparing picks - isn't this what forums are all about?!

[quote name='misrule' post='21647' date='Jun 21 2007, 11:14 PM']Landstrom Sharkfins -- the white ones, with a serrated edge. I feel a bit embarrassed about admitting this, for some reason, but I've used them on gu*tars since I was a teenager (long, long ago). The ridged edge gives a nice, full sound.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

I thought I'd be the only one to have sharkfins, don't see them every day !! I'm using their really, really thin red one's for recording with at the moment. I have a really low action and find heavier pics just bounce the strings off the frets too much (I'm a bit heavy handed at times :) ) but the bendy reds alleviate that while still giving a pick attack. Also, by varying finger pressure and grip I can stiffen them up if needed or get a compromise inbetween a pick and fingerstyle sound. Takes a bit of practice but well worth it. And yeah, the serrated edge gives a very different sound. Nice.

I used to use the silver Herco's (around .75 I think) but recently for gigging I've been using a green Plectr'o' - anyone remember them ? Came out about 4-5 years ago, hole in the middle, variable thickness as you spin round from the point to the rounded edge. Good grip feature having the whole in the middle 'cos your finger and thumb tips meet. Very hard to find now.

Steve.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='21882' date='Jun 22 2007, 12:31 PM']Dava control picks for me. They're thinner in the middle, so by varying where you hold them they can vary in stiffness, which really helps if you want a dynamic range to your sound.[/quote]

Was just about to go tinternet browsing to show people those, yes indeed, although the only problem i have is that when im using that light gauge "mode" if you will, sometimes the ridges get caught on the strings, now i think about it thats probably just down to poor technique though.

[quote name='nick' post='21786' date='Jun 22 2007, 11:12 AM']I think it's great discussing & comparing picks - isn't this what forums are all about?![/quote]

Yes indeed! This is a new era for BC now that I'm a moderator :)

[quote name='thumbo' post='22163' date='Jun 22 2007, 09:27 PM']Has anyone got a plectrum that they like the sound of but find the grip of said pleck to be crap?

I've found a cure! Hole-punch :)
[/quote]

I think we have had a post on plecs before, maybe on Basstalk. i was given this site, because the pick tended to float around my fingers. i think the concepts ok but i think they maybe too small. never thought about drilling a hole. what about velcro?

[url="http://www.wegenpicks.com/"]http://www.wegenpicks.com/[/url]

Dunlop black nylon 1mm. I prefer the slight flex from a nylon pick, I think it allows more feel & tonal control, and the material produces a denser, less clicky sound than a rigid pick.

I always meant to try those rubber picks that were all over Ebay for a while, but never got around to it. Anyone know where you can get them?

It's good that this thread has managed 18 posts without some self-righteous gonk coming on & accusing plectrum wielders of all being "failed guitarists". :)

Jon.

Herco Flex 75 (the silver/grey one) for me. I've just ordered a box of 100 from the US as they seem to have become almost impossible to get in this country now and are hidden away on the Jim Dunlop website so well that only a determined search will reveal them.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='22219' date='Jun 22 2007, 11:55 PM']Herco Flex 75 (the silver/grey one) for me. I've just ordered a box of 100 from the US as they seem to have become almost impossible to get in this country now and are hidden away on the Jim Dunlop website so well that only a determined search will reveal them.[/quote]

I used to get mine from Stringbusters if that helps. Not that you'll need any for a while :)

Steve.

I noticed that StringBusters were selling them individually, and emailed for a better price on a box of 100 (which is how they have to buy them from Jim Dunlop) but I never got a reply.

Actually the last 100 lasted me less than 10 years (with a 2-3 gap where I did very little playing). I tend to get through about 50 in the first year simplu because of the quantities I've got (and the fact that for optimum feel 1 pick only lasts a couple of gigs) . Now I'm down to my last 2 I'm a lot more careful about what I do with them.

I use "Hi modulus graphite" picks that contain carbon fibre, I,ve been using them since the eighties and still have a stockpile of them as the factory burned down years ago.
Pickboy do a fair copy which is known as The reefer pick which I use for rehearsals but doesn,t quite match the originals.

Edited by wizbat

My picks of choice are the Jim Dunlop Delrin Standard 500 jobbers at .71mm. I've always liked those. They're fine on my acoustic guit*r as well.

No other pick has ever felt as comfy. I used to get serious hand-ache when I used Big Stubby picks. Some time ago I even used to use some brass ones.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='22192' date='Jun 22 2007, 11:02 PM']I think we have had a post on plecs before, maybe on Basstalk. i was given this site, because the pick tended to float around my fingers. i think the concepts ok but i think they maybe too small. never thought about drilling a hole. what about velcro?

[url="http://www.wegenpicks.com/"]http://www.wegenpicks.com/[/url][/quote]

But wouldnt your fingers need to be made out of the corrosponding velcro? :)