Why become a member? ×

Which Plectrum?

acidbass

I use big 1mm Acetal triangles from Clayton's

[url="http://www.steveclayton.com/acetal.html"]http://www.steveclayton.com/acetal.html[/url]

And I get them custom-printed. Thinnest pick I've found that doesn't bend at all. Except for aluminium ones, but they scratch your bass something rotten.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='26603' date='Jul 3 2007, 05:29 PM']I use big 1mm Acetal triangles from Clayton's

[url="http://www.steveclayton.com/acetal.html"]http://www.steveclayton.com/acetal.html[/url][/quote]

Me too. not sure they are the best or even right for me but i got a pack about two years ago and i have about 4 left.
They are nice to hold and ive never dropped one live (pick, not bottom burp;-)
I would like to get a more finger sound so might get a slightly lighter version but for now im happy.

Edited by dave_bass5

1.14mm Dunlops (Purple).

Tried a load of others, and nothing else is quite as flexible tone-wise.

I find that if you slide the pick sideways on you can get a nice rounded fingerstyle tone, then for really digging in I've got the tickness to rweally bend in the notes... My bass tech loves me like!

Did a gig on Sat with the 1.9mm Claytons and i was quite surprised how well they worked. Still not sure its anywhere near a finger sound but certainly helped me get nearer. Im going to order some lighter ones as well and see what i prefer.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='32453' date='Jul 16 2007, 12:15 PM']Did a gig on Sat with the 1.9mm Claytons and i was quite surprised how well they worked. Still not sure its anywhere near a finger sound but certainly helped me get nearer. Im going to order some lighter ones as well and see what i prefer.[/quote]
Shirley (dont call me Shirly) the point of using a pick is to get a different sound. OK I use mine cos my fingers get sore and swell up because of a skin complaint but I do use my fingers for some songs where a pick just aint right. Get more mwah from the fretless with my piggies as well. Its very difficult to get the sound of a pick with fingers.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='33184' date='Jul 17 2007, 06:30 PM']Shirley (dont call me Shirly) the point of using a pick is to get a different sound. OK I use mine cos my fingers get sore and swell up because of a skin complaint but I do use my fingers for some songs where a pick just aint right. Get more mwah from the fretless with my piggies as well. Its very difficult to get the sound of a pick with fingers.[/quote]

I use a pick because i cant play well enough without it and have been too lazy to learn. I can do it sitting down but not standing up.
I dont really like the click of a pick but i can live with it.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='33314' date='Jul 17 2007, 10:30 PM']Ah - I see. As already mentioned the thicker the pick the lesser the click.

Also, try adjusting your strap length so the bass is in the same position sitting down as standing up. Warning - you might end up looking a bit Mark King though :)[/quote]

I did think about shortening my strap but as you pointed out, its a bit (very) MK. I tend to practice hunched over the bass so its not practical to play live like that. plus its harder to use a pick then.
Its just something i have to get around to learning at some point.

Dont get hung up by all those guys banging on about their three and four finger playing - most of us only use two. Try using your fingers at band practice, or practice standing up - goofy I know but hope no one sees you. Sit down on a stool or dining chair to practice and try not to slouch. Oh and take your hands out of your pockets :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='33340' date='Jul 17 2007, 10:59 PM']Dont get hung up by all those guys banging on about their three and four finger playing - most of us only use two. Try using your fingers at band practice, or practice standing up - goofy I know but hope no one sees you. Sit down on a stool or dining chair to practice and try not to slouch. Oh and take your hands out of your pockets :)[/quote]

Good advice but....
We never have band practice as we gig most weekends and so see wnough of each other ;-)/
My PC is in the living room where the rest of the family sit and whatch TV etc so i would feel stupid dancing around in the corner with my bass on.Other than that, i do try and play one or two songs at gigs without the pick but only the slow ones at the moment.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='33366' date='Jul 17 2007, 11:29 PM']Other than that, i do try and play one or two songs at gigs without the pick but only the slow ones at the moment.[/quote]

Good place to start as this is where a pick sound does not fit - I play all the slow songs with my fingers. I guess if none of the other suggestions is practical you are just gonna have to persevere and build up from there.