Why become a member? ×

Reasonable quality active speakers?

tauzero

I'm looking to replace the QTX 15" active speakers we currently use with something a bit better quality. I want something that'll keep up with a loud drummer, guitarist who will occasionally play loud when we tell him to, and a loud bassist. Basically something that will put out somewhere round 130dB, and probably 12" rather than 15" speakers. And a weight limit of about 15kg per speaker.

I want to limit spending to around £800 - considerably less would be nice. So, although I'm sure a pair of QSC K12s would be lovely, we can't afford them, unless someone wants to sell me a pair ridiculously cheap.

Any recommendations?

Definitely the Mackie SRM450's are the obvious go to choice, the only reservation I would have about them is that if you extend your sound reinforcement at any point then I have found that finding a sub that fits well with them is really difficult and can need some serious crossover work to get it right.
Other options are the EV elx112p or elx115p which are a little better than the mackies but more expensive, and the Yamaha drx15 which is a little cheaper and similarly capable. Those are the only 3 in that bracket I've used and would rate.

• 2 weeks later...

These look a good price on the face of it

[url="http://www.electromusic.co.uk/RCF-Art-312-A-12-Active-Speaker.html"]http://www.electromusic.co.uk/RCF-Art-312-A-12-Active-Speaker.html[/url]

Doubt they are the RCF of old, but they are pretty pokey and I'd put them underneath QSC's but better than average.

I think for decent vox, these should be mimium spec, IMV..

or [url="http://www.e-av.co.uk/pa-speakers/hk-audio-premium-pro12a-active-speaker?gclid=CPnPt7_qs7YCFQ7KtAodRW4Ajg"]http://www.e-av.co.uk/pa-speakers/hk-audio-premium-pro12a-active-speaker?gclid=CPnPt7_qs7YCFQ7KtAodRW4Ajg[/url]

A bit more than you have budgeted for, but as new.

I find a lot of bands P.A sounds like it has hard too much of a caning and the horns have had it.
I don't find the horns that robust either.

K12's are ok...but the wooden KW12's are far better, IMO.
You would have to run VERY loud and mic the kick to need a sub, for most small-ish places

• 6 months later...

+1 for Mackie SRM450v2, light, loud, very clear vocals and in your budget.

We use a pair (version 2, which is lighter) for vocals and DJ music. When we do a bigger function we bring an active sub (with stereo in/output) that has a variable crossover that we plug the mackies: set it and forget it. Happy days.

EDIT: just noticed that this is a revival of a fairly old thread. Would be nice to know from the OP what they went with.

Edited by Sharkfinger

+1 for the Mackies, especially with a Mackie active sub - two if you have the money and/or venue. Had a set of the originals (with the RCF speakers) for years and they were the DB's - great with everything, especially good for vocals as they had some clever little switchable filters built into them. Newer models aren't quite as good IMHO but still plenty good enough! Having used decent actives I'd never consider passives again.

Come to think of it, is RCF gear in your price range (should be if Mackie is...)? Haven't used them myself but everybody who has raves about them, and I notice someone else has referenced them as well.

Edited by leftybassman392

Very impressed with RCF ART 10 A's the more I hear them.

Very pokey and will do an reasonably loud band in a pub...i.e bordering on the too loud side of things........
if predominantly vox with a tint bleed of taseful gtr.
Should match up well should you add subs.

It will not be the loudest P.A but the tops are very good value, IMO.

We use KW112's and we think in the right venue we could take out the RCF's instead

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just realised that I never came back to this, and now I have another question...

I went with the SRM450V2s in the end, as there were some B-stock on That Ebay for a good price. One of the two was DOA but quickly replaced, and I've had no problems since then, although I haven't played a huge number of gigs with them. I generally use them with a little Behringer mixer (Xenyx 1002B).

The guitarist in one of the bands (that'll be the guitarist who always turns up just too late to help unloading the gear from the car) has now started whittering on about micing up the drums. I've started putting a bit of kick through the PA (especially as the drummer has still not replaced his head that went through six months ago and is still using the front head instead). Should I be looking at a sub now, and if so is there something active, cheap, small, light, and yet with the sound of angels? Should I be telling the drummer to pull his finger out and get the bass head replaced? Should I be telling the guitarist that he carries the sub in and out?

• 1 month later...

Lots of yes's...

If the Gtr wants a sub he can carry it... that will possibly negate him turning up too late to do any of the chores.
You could be kind to him and get him a lighter weight one..
I'd look at the EV range... they do some pokey 12"...
The Yam DSR112 or 115 are good.

But if you are only using one...be reasonable what you expect from it...
If you want to put the band through it.. you'll need a good 15 or pref 18... but if you
want just a bit of heft/support then a quality pokey 12 might just help with seperation..

I'm not putting the band through the PA, it's currently used for just vocals most of the time though I have put kick and occasionally snare through it too. I thought a sub might help spread the load of the kick. I was actually looking at something more like the Alto True Sonic TS SUB 12. When I say "cheap" I mean "don't have to play too many gigs at £50-£60 a pop to pay for it".

We have tried a few cheaper subs and they didn't sound very good.
The Mackie Thump was big heavy and just plain awful... indistinct mush sound.
But then we didn't rate K subs much for the money either...

For a budget, look at e bay EV or RCF... but as with all these things, you'll want to hear it.
And you better sell the idea to the gtr as there aren't many cheap, small and light subs around..
so if you buy cheap, they aren't going to be small and light...

Maybe there are a few DIY subs around from BFM which might be good value..??
Ask mrcat..??