Why become a member? ×

Fender jazz bass control plates, with pots..?

bubinga5

Im needing a new control plate for my MIJ 75 Jazz.. the back pickup stem has snapped... any clues if Fender do just a standard control plate for every jazz bass.. not looking forward to the price of a new USA control plate to be honest... i should add the control plate i have has no grub screws in the knobs.. so i cant just replace the pot... if i remember the USA versions do.?

Edited by bubinga5

I believe they are al the same shape but I found out the hard way that the holes in the control plate, that the pots go through, are not always the same size. On some Japanese/fareastern ones the holes are slightly smaller. KiOgan will be the expert as he is probably asked this question 10 times a day when people buy his wiring looms for Jazz basses (as I did when I bought one and the full size cts pots didn't fit my MIJ control plate).

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1363892450' post='2019091']
I believe they are al the same shape but I found out the hard way that the holes in the control plate, that the pots go through, are not always the same size. On some Japanese/fareastern ones the holes are slightly smaller. KiOgan will be the expert as he is probably asked this question 10 times a day when people buy his wiring looms for Jazz basses (as I did when I bought one and the full size cts pots didn't fit my MIJ control plate).
[/quote]im thinking the easiest (non financial) way, may be to buy a new fully loaded control plate... cant seem to find one in the UK mind..

Are you saying the knob won't come off the pot because it doesn't have a grubscrew? Usually a bit of force will do the trick with those types (mine are the same).But if you can't budge it, I reckon that if you popped the control plate, with knobs attached, in a box and posted it to [size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]KiOgan he would be able to replace the pot and get it back to you by early next week. He was very accomodating when I got my wiring loom from him. And his prices are very reasonable.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1363900816' post='2019281']
Are you saying the knob won't come off the pot because it doesn't have a grubscrew? Usually a bit of force will do the trick with those types (mine are the same).But if you can't budge it, I reckon that if you popped the control plate, with knobs attached, in a box and posted it to [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]KiOgan he would be able to replace the pot and get it back to you by early next week. He was very accomodating when I got my wiring loom from him. And his prices are very reasonable.[/font][/color]
[/quote]no, the shaft that the pot is attached to has snapped off, so the shaft that is glued into the knob (blimey this is like a carry on film he he) has come away from the pot, so if placed back is just spinning around with no tone control.. i can actually pull the knob out with the rest, of the shaft attached.. i hope that makes sense...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1363902565' post='2019348']
no, the shaft that the pot is attached to has snapped off, so the shaft that is glued into the knob (no pun intended he he) has come away from the pot, so if placed back is just spinning around with no tone control.. i can actually pull the knob out with the rest of the shaft attached.. i hope that makes sense...
[/quote]

Well you could try and superglue it back together for a temporary fix. Failing that ask KiOan's advice. I'm sure he can sort something out for you, inexpensively, without buying a whole control plate plus pots attached (although this could be good excuse to buy a John East J-Retro!).

thanks dude.. i think there might be something else going on has it is starting to scratch alot, and sounding very strange when i do push the knob and shaft in, to try and turn it.. thanks i will ask [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]KiOan's advice..[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ps. how can i find him [/font][/color]

Edited by bubinga5

I believe Ki0gon sells fully loaded J plates as well as just the harnesses, which does kind of bypass the hole size issue. He is an absolute gent to deal with - couldn't be more helpful - and his stuff is exceptional value.

I've got the original control plate from my jv squire (japanese) which i took off when I got an audere pre fitted, it currently has a high quality push/pull volume pot and a blend control pot fitted as I used to have an emg 2 band on it as well. It's lying about in a drawer give me a pm if it's any use to you :)

Edited by lee650

Here I am - late to the party :rolleyes: thanks for the mentions guys, I can supply anything from a knob to a complete kit!

If your bell plate is OK, you could send it to me for repair/replacement pot, wiring, upgrade to solderless - whatever it needs.

Cheerz, John

• 6 months later...