Why become a member? ×

Step down transformers

I'm not really that knowledgable about electricals so wondered if it was possible / advisable to use a US bass preamp with a step down transformer via the UK mains

Exchange rate could make some preamp deals from US really attractive, but don't want to fry myself or other band members for the sake of a few quid

If someone could answer and explain (simply) how they work and any risks I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Stu

Some US products can be converted to run on 230V. With some it's as easy as flicking a switch, others need to have their internal transformers retapped, or have the transformer replaced with a UK equivalent.

External transformers - Make sure you get one with enough current capacity. If you need 50 watts, then you should be looking for a transformer rated at 60 - 70 VA or so. You can use a tranny with a higher VA rating than the equipments Wattage rating, but never lower.

Upsides - Lets you buy some very cheap kit from abroad. You don't need to modify anything.

Downsides - Most transformers are sold without boxes, so you'd need to do something to keep fingers out of the terminals. Cost - Transformers aren't cheap, especially when you get up to more than 50VA or so. Weight - Big trannys are heavy.

Anything in particular you're looking at?

Andy

I had a BBE T-max bass preamp that required an £8 adapter and worked fine. Some pieces of equipment that have an external power supply simply need an equivalent wall-wart power supply. Maplins and the like do all sorts of step-up/down transformers, a little bit of research on the particular manufacturers website will normally give you all of the info you need but in short... Yes

• 1 month later...

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='22146' date='Jun 22 2007, 09:56 PM']Thanks guys - I'm tentatively looking at a BBE BMAX. Sounds like it's do-able if the price is right :)[/quote]

The current draw for preamps isn't usually as high as the current draw on power amps. I used an inline step down on a US spec Mesa Boogie Triaxis for years without issues. It wasn't much bigger than a wall wart.