Why become a member? ×

High praise for John East

ShaunB

[font=Verdana]
[color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Hi y'all,[/font][/size][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana]
[color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]I feel I must pass on some high praise for John East.[/font][/size][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana]
[color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]I love my ACG Finn 4 (quite possibly the best looking bass on the planet - it's 0043 if you want to peak), but although the EQ pushes a load of different tones, it wasn't for me. I contacted Alan at ACG and he wondered if John East could sort my dilemma.[/font][/size][/color][/font]
[color=#1E497D][font=Verdana]
[color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]I called John and he told me to fire the bass over as he had the perfect solution, "What I would suggest is a variation on a U-Retro 4 Knob Deluxe in order to take care of the piezo. A piezo circuit would be required, which includes a piezo/mag mixer circuit."[/font][/size][/color][/font][/color]
[font=Verdana]
[color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Interparcel failed me for the first time ever - twice! [/font][/size][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana]
[color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]I opted for a TNT collection on Wednesday and let John know the bass was coming last Thursday. TNT didn't collect. John told me he was awake in the night worrying if he had missed delivery - wharrah guy![/font][/size][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana]
[color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]TNT forgot to collect the bass Thursday as well and as I didn't want it sitting in a depot/back of a van all weekend, John said ship it Monday - he'll try and get the work done Tuesday for shipping Wednesday to arrive today (Thursday) as Easter is a 4-day courier no go zone.[/font][/size][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana]
[color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]John put the pre-amp in the day it arrived, and then got up at 7:30 the next morning to fit the piezo attenuator (whatever that is...) - sorted, packed up and delivered back here today![/font][/size][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana]
[color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Awesome service and one of the nicest people to deal with - a true gentleman - and I have to add... BLIMEY! My ACG is stupendous! Even in passive mode it sounds fab. The U-Retro makes adding a touch of anything a breeze (I am a simpleton) - I can't wait to get it out there and see how it cuts through.[/font][/size][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana]
[color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]So impressed, I've put a J-Retro in my Jazz. Which is nice...[/font][/size][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana]
[color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Thanks to John East for a job very well done - I can't recommend him highly enough.[/font][/size][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana]
[color=#000000][size=3][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]cheers, Shaun[/font][/size][/color][/font]

I met John at the London Bass Guitar show and cannot believe what a nice guy he is. We were having a chat in the pub afterwards and he bought me a drink. Really impressed with his MM Preamps too...definitely high up on my list of things to buy!

Edited by Higgie

I was having a few problems with a P-retro I'd bought secondhand here and fitted myself - couldn't eliminate a grounding hum. I got in touch with John and he patiently walked me through several potential solutions, one of which cured it - while he was waiting to be seen at hospital! But then it all packed up completely and I sent the whole thing off to him for repair. It needed a new battery unit which, once he had them in stock, he fitted almost by return and at cost price. He also supplied and fitted an LED bezel to the scratchplate for nowt.

So, yes, not only does John make the best pre-amps going but he is an absolute diamond. I have them fitted to four basses and would never, ever, think about getting anything else now.

I've bought a couple of pre-amps off John - a J retro which I bunged into a Fender Geddy Lee then subsequently stupidly sold on here a few years back, and, this time last year, a modified U retro with no balance control for my single pick up SB1000 which I am currently gigging with my 80s band (John even fitted an LED battery indicator as the exisiting SB100 circuit had one)

Needless to say on both occasions John was an absolute pleasure to deal and a true Gent. The pre-amps sound fab & are highly versatile and I am currently considering buying another J retro to bung into a project J bass that I'm currently putting together

As others have already said an absolutelt top bloke ans would recommend him to anybody

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1364485481' post='2027145']
I'm curious about these. Is there any merit in swapping a 3-band ray pre-amp for a JE? Would it change the tone much? Or are they mainly for upgrading copies?
[/quote]

Another +1 to the praises for John.

As for the 3-band preamp... I'd say yes.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the original MM 3-band preamp... but the JE is different in a very nice way (for my taste).
It is esentially a traditional 2-band plus a midsweep module. With the midsweep neutral, it does nothing, and you get the classic 2-band EQ. It's different to the EBMM 3EQ even if you find the "flat" setting for the mid control. Not better, not worse. Different. I like it a lot.
But what makes it amazing is the midsweep control. It's a semiparametric control. With the top part of the concentric knob you select to either cut or boost, and how much. With the bottom part of the knob, you select the frequency centre. It makes finding the right tone to fit in the mix yet cut through extremely easy.
For that reason,, I'd say that if you are wondering about changing the preamp, it must be that you are not in love with it as it is... then yes, try a 3-band JE :)

The Stingray in my avatar was a 2EQ. I bought a 3-band 3 knob version for it. I think the 2EQ section sounds pretty much like it did before, but *I think* the treble is not as shrill, and the bass is a bit less "boomy", but nothing very different. The midsweep I love. It transformed a great bass into a fantastic one.
If you had a 2EQ, I would not see much point in getting a JE MMSR 2-band... but the 3-band preamps are nothing alike, so -for me- it makes sense.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1364485481' post='2027145']
I'm curious about these. Is there any merit in swapping a 3-band ray pre-amp for a JE? Would it change the tone much? Or are they mainly for upgrading copies?
[/quote]

+1 to all mcnach has said about the Stingray pre-amp. I've got one in my 'ray. With everything flat it sounds pretty much like a normal 2 band 'ray to my ears, with perhaps a bit more definition in the bottom end. But the mid sweep really adds a whole new range of options. Highly recommended IMO

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1364497916' post='2027397']

For that reason,, I'd say that if you are wondering about changing the preamp, it must be that you are not in love with it as it is... then yes, try a 3-band JE :)

[/quote]

hmmmm yeah.....much as I love my ray (the build quality is simply first class), i've never been too happy with the eq. Its really challenging to get it to sit "naturally" in the mix and veres from too thin and clanky or too boomy. I think some more JE investigation is required!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1364586613' post='2028622']
Just for attending the bass show in a brown work coat (complete with biros in breast pocket), he commands my utmost respect and admiration.
[/quote]

You're effing nuts. This year, it's green that counts.
Other than that, I love this, and it only cements my determination to order a J-Retro Deluxe from him - for the bitsa.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1364586613' post='2028622']
Just for attending the bass show in a brown work coat (complete with biros in breast pocket), he commands my utmost respect and admiration.
[/quote]

:lol: brilliant.
I never met him, but my dealings with him on the phone and by email gave me the impression he is a very enthusiastic and very nice man.

And another fanboy here. Ive got a S/H Jretro in one jazz and a special Uretro + Piezo in another. John sorted out the special for me and didnt charge the earth. He went out his way to keep the costs down without skimping on quality. Even sent me an atenuator at cost to sort out a little miss match in levels. Great to communicate with to. He is very happy to explain the whys and wherefores which is a breath of fresh air.

10/10 for him.

He deserves a knighthood for that midsweep alone :D

A

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1364545635' post='2027868']
hmmmm yeah.....much as I love my ray (the build quality is simply first class), i've never been too happy with the eq. Its really challenging to get it to sit "naturally" in the mix and veres from too thin and clanky or too boomy. I think some more JE investigation is required!
[/quote]

I put a 3 band in a 4 string 1999 Stingray for Mike Brooks recently (Bass Guitar Mag Review & pro player). He loved the bass but wasn't getting the MM sound he was expecting compared other he's played previously. These were his comments 2 days later:

Hi John,
Used the bass on Thursday night and it sounded great, the bottom end was far more solid and powerful, the top end had some sizzle which it never had before. The mids are the icing on the cake and they make the bass far more flexible than it was before. A success I'd say :)
Thank you so much, I'm much happier about this bass now.
Speak soon,
Mike

In general, this thread is very heartening in terms of feedback, all comments greatly appreciated!

John

Edited by John-E-Retro

• 1 year later...

Just bought a J-Retro on here from Marcus (top chap, btw).

I wasn't quite sure how to marry it to my active EMGs, and how to go about powering the pre and my pickups from a single battery. I'm not particularly tech-y and have an ability to destroy electrical stuff by a combination of misplaced optimism and a gung-ho attitude. So I dispatched an email enquiry via the website just before a Sunday lunchtime pint hoping for a reply within a few days.

John replied personally within the hour with a clear diagram, and over a Sunday lunchtime to boot.

I'm much impressed at the increasingly rare example of a great product backed up by superb service.

• 3 months later...

I met John when I picked up a 3 band preamp for a stingray a few weeks back. A very nice chap and clearly a bit of a genius. He was really good to talk to and seems very humble about his products. So happy with the results in the stingray that I'm pretty sure both my jazzes will be sporting John's products before the end of the year.