Why become a member? ×

Cello

Myke

Does anybody here play cello?

I've been listening to some classical music and trying to learn some cello pieces on bass and I'm hooked!

I can't stop looking at them for sale and thinking 'If I had money' and then think no first I want a double bass.

But anyway.. I just want to know how many people play cello and how hard it is really

Cheers :D

I have dabbled. The strangest thing at first will be that it's tuned in fifths, not fourths like a bass, but I found this fairly easy to get used to after a bit of scale practice. The hardest thing technique wise is bowing, getting a clear and even sound across all strings is something you could spend your life working on. I'd recommend some lessons for technique tips alone, although I taught myself (and subsequently gave up, although if I had space I'd love another go someday).

Yes, I started on cello a very, very long time ago then swapped to double bass. After I "retired" (shoulder problems) playing full time I then ended up teaching lower strings, so cello and double bass, for about 15 years and these days just enjoy playing cello with a little bit of teaching. I have to admit, I love playing the cello as it is such a lyrical instrument and once you get your head around the strings in 4ths and 5ths bit, it is quite easy to swap between bass and cello.

Buying a cello is a lot cheaper than buying a double bass however, a half decent cello or double bass will cost a lot more than a half decent bass guitar. Even better though, go straight for an electric cello and have all the fun of effects etc.

Took me a bit of practice but I became obsessed by Canon Rock (a rock arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon) last year and this was the result. Not perfect but loved doing it. :rolleyes:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlJjQwShiY[/media]

Lemoncello on here is an accomplished cellist. He's a top chap and has given me advice and tips since I took up the cello in the last couple of years. Always wanted one after dabbling with violin for years. Always found the violin too tiny for my big arms and hands, but the cello is perfect.

A wonderful instrument, well worth the effort :)

I'm learning to sight read, so I've been raiding my bro-in-law's music as he's a cello teacher.

The only problem I keep finding is the cello goes lower than the bass, so I keep getting GAS for a 5 string. - That, or I need to re-write it in MuseScore and transpose it to a higher key.

BTW, my B-in-L just bought a cello; £68K. It was a bargain, so he says. :shok:

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Bass Lady' timestamp='1365408859' post='2039003'] Yes, I started on cello a very, very long time ago then swapped to double bass. After I "retired" (shoulder problems) playing full time I then ended up teaching lower strings, so cello and double bass, for about 15 years and these days just enjoy playing cello with a little bit of teaching. I have to admit, I love playing the cello as it is such a lyrical instrument and once you get your head around the strings in 4ths and 5ths bit, it is quite easy to swap between bass and cello. Buying a cello is a lot cheaper than buying a double bass however, a half decent cello or double bass will cost a lot more than a half decent bass guitar. Even better though, go straight for an electric cello and have all the fun of effects etc. Took me a bit of practice but I became obsessed by Canon Rock (a rock arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon) last year and this was the result. Not perfect but loved doing it. :rolleyes: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlJjQwShiY[/media] [/quote]

That was a really good video!

I was only going for the DB first because in the long run I think it would help me out getting gigs more than a cello would and tbh I'm less likely to quit playing DB than I am playing cello.

Are any of the skills transferable though? Mainly bowing technique on both instruments?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1365426440' post='2039361'] I'm learning to sight read, so I've been raiding my bro-in-law's music as he's a cello teacher. The only problem I keep finding is the cello goes lower than the bass, so I keep getting GAS for a 5 string. - That, or I need to re-write it in MuseScore and transpose it to a higher key. BTW, my B-in-L just bought a cello; £68K. It was a bargain, so he says. :shok: [/quote]

Yeah, I did the same thing, went to the charity shop found some cello books and been blasting them out. Luckily for me I have a 5 string which is incredibly helpful :P

I was learning Bach cello suite 1 and there is a bit where it goes up to a high G I was playing it down low to start off with and thought it sounded a bit muddy so I thought I'd go up and start on the 10th fret on the A string and play the whole thing up there. Going to that G consists of playing the highest note on my bass and jumping on the same string down to B. Evil I tell you!

:o £65k No way!!!

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1365428998' post='2039424']
That was a really good video!

I was only going for the DB first because in the long run I think it would help me out getting gigs more than a cello would and tbh I'm less likely to quit playing DB than I am playing cello.

Are any of the skills transferable though? Mainly bowing technique on both instruments?
[/quote]

Bowing skills, vibrato, listening / intonation skills all transferable. In some ways it is actually easier going from bass to cello because your bow arm is too strong whereas cellists I know who try playing bass haven't got the "strength" quite right to produce a nice tone. I'd agree certainly about getting a double bass for gigging, to pick up cello work (eg shows) your playing skills need to be very good on the cello but you can always take up the cello after the DB. ;)

[quote name='Bass Lady' timestamp='1365430156' post='2039452']
Bowing skills, vibrato, listening / intonation skills all transferable. In some ways it is actually easier going from bass to cello because your bow arm is too strong whereas cellists I know who try playing bass haven't got the "strength" quite right to produce a nice tone. I'd agree certainly about getting a double bass for gigging, to pick up cello work (eg shows) your playing skills need to be very good on the cello but you can always take up the cello after the DB. ;)
[/quote]

Ah :) That's cool :) I think that's the way I'm heading unless a cheap second hand cello appears.

Been a cello player for more than half of my life, thanks to playing cello and bass guitar I was able to pick up double bass super quick. But out of the three cello is definitely the hardest to play well, at least I think.
Not sure how easy it would be to pick up late since i've been playing it since I was 9. Double bass would probably be easier to pick up, seeing as the strings are also in fourths, going from 5ths to 4ths was probably one of the hardest things to get my head around when going from cello to bass. And i'd imagine bowing would be hard to get to grips with. I'd strongly reccomend getting lessons if you go for cello.
Although either would be a great new instrument to learn :)

[quote name='Bass Lady' timestamp='1365408859' post='2039003']
Yes, I started on cello a very, very long time ago then swapped to double bass. After I "retired" (shoulder problems) playing full time I then ended up teaching lower strings, so cello and double bass, for about 15 years and these days just enjoy playing cello with a little bit of teaching. I have to admit, I love playing the cello as it is such a lyrical instrument and once you get your head around the strings in 4ths and 5ths bit, it is quite easy to swap between bass and cello.

Buying a cello is a lot cheaper than buying a double bass however, a half decent cello or double bass will cost a lot more than a half decent bass guitar. Even better though, go straight for an electric cello and have all the fun of effects etc.

Took me a bit of practice but I became obsessed by Canon Rock (a rock arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon) last year and this was the result. Not perfect but loved doing it. :rolleyes:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlJjQwShiY[/media]
[/quote]
That was cool;)

I had an NS upright for 10 years and used to use that like it was a cello. Really got to grips with bowing technique, vibrato etc and it proved invaluable once I actually got a real cello.

A big +1 for lessons I think. I'm self taught but with an instrument like this, I think lessons are essential, not to mention PRACTICE PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND MORE PRACTICE! :) I'm still getting around to it mind you (the lessons bit) :blush:

• 1 year later...

I played in my teens (damn that's a long time ago...). My cello is old and very battered (it's broken twice across the neck that I know of), and as a result is too loud to play here (thin walls). I just bought a cheapo electric, though, so I'm hoping to get back into it :)