Why become a member? ×

Gibson Ripper rescue

neepheid

I saw this on eBay and felt so sorry for it that I decided to restore it.

There are a lot of parts to be found - all I have is three bolts that a three point bridge would be attached to. But it is my mission to bring Gibson Ripper, serial number 574623, born either in 1974 or 1975 (no pots so I can't tell any better than that - would err towards '75 given the magnitude of the number) back to life.

It was black and is currently covered in some rather thin red which I'm hoping will sand off real easy. On the plus side, there neck looks pretty straight and the truss rod had been slackened off. It has an ebony fingerboard.

Wish me luck :)

Cleared out my shed so I can actually walk about in it, couldn't resist giving it a quick scrub. Pleased to report that the red stuff it's currently wearing is soft as the proverbial. The amount that I achieved with some 180 on a sanding block leads me to believe that with some 120 on the power sander I should get this cleared quickly :)

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366401587' post='2052267']
That looks a nice project.Are you going to try to restore it back to the original `75 Gibson, or a custom job?
[/quote]

It is my intention to restore it as far as possible back to stock but with the following changes:

Waterslide logo instead of silk screened
Possibly different tuners (early Rippers used a weird sized tuner, later ones used Gibson branded Schaller BM - these holes are too small for those)
Probably a Hipshot Supertone bridge
It will be finished any colour I like (Rippers only came natural, black, tobacco burst and a very few "cherryburst" - none of which I fancy)

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1366474534' post='2053052']
I have three or four Gibson three point bridges, one of which I'd be happy to contribute to this worthy cause. They're all black though...so you'd need to sandblast/chrome.
P
[/quote]

Wow, that's a very kind offer, thanks. However, I have the three pointer that came off my RD Artist for the short term and will eventually fit a Supertone. Still, thanks again for the kindness :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1366490179' post='2053242']
Looking good!

What are you going to do about that nasty looking defret?

If your Gibson Victory restoration is anything to go by this is going to be another fascinating thread.
[/quote]

Cheers guys

Dunno what I'm going to do about the fret slots yet. It probably looks worse than it is in those photos because of sanding dust in the slots. I'm guessing a little radius sanding, keep the ebony dust and use it with glue in a paste to fill any large chips. Then big, chunky frets. To be fair, any Ripper/Grabber/G-3 I've come into contact with had big frets.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1366542070' post='2053670']
Will you put in original pups? Could this take something like the Thunderbuckers?
[/quote]

Yup, I want to put in original pickups. Or Seymour Duncan replacements if I can't find any.

I got Seymour Duncan to make me a Ripper pickup - took them a month to get it to me and they rang to ask if I wanted my name in the documentation certificate - great service and all through contacting them via the website.. The pickup was reasonably priced and very similar to the existing original in looks and sound. This is a great looking project, I did sell my Ripper but my Grabber is my keeper!

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1366558409' post='2053994']
NIce one. Go for the original black. I had a late 70's one that was as sexy as all get out. Were it not for my short arms I'd have happily kept the beast.
[/quote]

Nah, I'm not fancying black - I think it would be too stealthy with the ebony fingerboard and the obligatory black headstock.