#31 mike257

LOUD NOISES!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Interests:Bassing/Writing/Recording

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostEBS_freak, on 21 May 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

The original O1V - wow, I played in a band where they had that desk for a bit. It's pretty capable if I recall. 160 is an absolute steal for that - if I came across one for sale at that, I'd defo buy it, especially with the ADAT card. Nice find.

Yeah, I'm made up! It's more than capable for our purposes (5 piece function band mixing own sound from stage) and although recording types will tell you the preamps are a weak spot I think they perform more than adequately in a live setting.

I'd been looking at analogue options but was struggling to stretch our budget as far as an A&H MixWizard (which was my first choice). That probably would have had the edge in terms of mic pres and EQ but costs upwards of 500 quid on the s/h market.

I can bodge together a phone/tablet remote by connecting the 01v to my laptop and sending midi over WiFi from an app on my phone so can nip out the front during soundchecks to mix too. The only problem will be teaching my resolutely non-techy bandmates how to drive it!

Edited by mike257, 21 May 2013 - 09:49 PM.

Sandberg California JM4 | Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Squier Modded-P of Doom | 'Extreme' Modded Jazz Copy
Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 | Ampeg SVT-610HLF | Custom 2x10

My Feedback Thread

BOOM! Event Services

Live Audio | Tour Management & Transport | Tech Services

#32 MoJoKe

Totally Juvenile Idiot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, eating, drinking, playing!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

View Postmike257, on 21 May 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

The only problem will be teaching my resolutely non-techy bandmates how to drive it!

If you fail and want to move it on, you know who to call!! (and no, that won't be ghostbusters!)

"Its not just what you play but when, and what you leave out....." its either that, or I still just don't get it after 40 years of playing!!

Lakland, Fender, Markbass Multiamp (OMG its good!), Elixir (Simply the best if you don't use a pick. One day Elixir will see sense and make me an endorsee!!), VW Caddy Maxi

My Feedback

BassChat Terms & Conditions ... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#33 EBS_freak

Those bubbles aren't coming from the snorkel...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

View Postmike257, on 21 May 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm made up! It's more than capable for our purposes (5 piece function band mixing own sound from stage) and although recording types will tell you the preamps are a weak spot I think they perform more than adequately in a live setting.

I'd been looking at analogue options but was struggling to stretch our budget as far as an A&H MixWizard (which was my first choice). That probably would have had the edge in terms of mic pres and EQ but costs upwards of 500 quid on the s/h market.

I can bodge together a phone/tablet remote by connecting the 01v to my laptop and sending midi over WiFi from an app on my phone so can nip out the front during soundchecks to mix too. The only problem will be teaching my resolutely non-techy bandmates how to drive it!

Perfect. The quality of preamps are of less importance in a live situation compared to recording. In fact you are more likely to hear the shortcomings in your in ear buds!

#34 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

http://basschat.co.u...ear-monitoring/

Thread crossover alert. Interesting link to A&H ME-1 use featured.

#35 bjelkeman

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Bassist wannabe.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Excellent thread. Thank you all, but specially EBS freak.
Ibanez basses (a dozen), Mesa Carbine, TKS, Darkglass Some pics. A visit to Mayones and a second visit to Darkglass.

#36 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

View Postbjelkeman, on 25 June 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

No problem!

#37 jimbobothy

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:This and that.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

+ 1
Aim low, play bass!

#38 MoJoKe

Totally Juvenile Idiot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

Couldn't agree more for two reasons:-

1. wouldn't have known where to start, and
2. cannot possibly imagine how I got through the last 35 years gigging, both big and small without them! They really were a revelation!

We are now using a single LD MEI1000 transmitter and each have a receiver and Shure SE315 headphones. Our current desk is just about to be replaced with a bigger analogue desk with more channels to accommodate the whole drum kit instead of just bass, snare and an overhead, and in addition two audience condenser mics (which only go into the monitor mix!). Next step will be to get 2 more transmitters so each can have their own mix, and then when feeling really rich we will upgrade to a digital desk.

I'm now no longer wondering why this mystical stuff costs so bl**dy much, but instead I now know that every ££ spent will make the monitor mix and the whole band sound and perform better for our paying punters. THAT is the point!

"Its not just what you play but when, and what you leave out....." its either that, or I still just don't get it after 40 years of playing!!

Lakland, Fender, Markbass Multiamp (OMG its good!), Elixir (Simply the best if you don't use a pick. One day Elixir will see sense and make me an endorsee!!), VW Caddy Maxi

My Feedback

BassChat Terms & Conditions ... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#39 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm glad that people are getting it - and the power of the in ear monitor!

How are you finding the LD MEI1000 quality wise? I'd be interested to know - hows the RF interference, compounder and limiter? Really glad that it's working out for you. When you have it nailed, it really is bliss as it sounds like you are finding!

I'm just expanding on my monitor solution myself - I've got some buffered A/B XLR boxes on order, the idea is that each player can switch their mic inbetween front of house and monitor mix. That way we can talk to each other with ease over the monitor mix and the MD (the drummer) can call any changes to the set etc. Pretty neat and it stops any "what? what you say? can't hear you! eh? uh?" type of conversations. Being able to grab the guitarist's attention who is over the other side of the stage is pretty useful. And of course, it's great for shouting abuse if somebody messes up. Just waiting for the first time somebody is on the wrong mix when they drop the C bomb or something!

Granted it is a lot of money... but any band with lots of vocals in it will realise the big advantage straight away.

What desk are you going for this time? Mixwizard by any chance?

Edited by EBS_freak, 26 June 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#40 MoJoKe

Totally Juvenile Idiot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

The MEI1000 is very good, the output is strong and good quality and not had any issues with noise or dropout, so all good so far. I like the sound of a talkback system, that sounds interesting. it's definitely a problem which we'll need to address too!

Desk - the only consideration at the moment is to add extra channels and auxes, so we'll save our money for the big upgrade. The Mixwizard sure looks a beast, but well out of our "pro tem" budget at the moment, even a used one! We're looking at a used Mackie or Soundcraft at the moment.

My Feedback

#41 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:28 AM

Good stuff. I shall keep you informed about the talk back success when I've given it a proper road test! - it's certainly a way to eat up channels on your desk anyway!

Hows your band going anyway? You getting the gigs in you wanted yet?

#42 MoJoKe

Totally Juvenile Idiot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

We are out about once a week at the moment, but planning to plug in a scaleable outfit to include brass and more singers and some vocals/dancers to offer more varied choices, including soul, which will put us closer to the wedding/function market... all good!

My Feedback

#43 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostMoJoKe, on 27 June 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

We are out about once a week at the moment, but planning to plug in a scaleable outfit to include brass and more singers and some vocals/dancers to offer more varied choices, including soul, which will put us closer to the wedding/function market... all good!

Good stuff - great to hear that things are working.

I love the large scale stuff - although sadly, it doesn't go out half as much as I would like. My band is usually out as the 5,6 or 7 piece. The 13 piece is a once in a blue moon affair. My desk loves that though - percussionist is 8 channels alone!

#44 MoJoKe

Totally Juvenile Idiot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Did a bit of recording tonight (funnily enough, monitoring with in-ears! to get some nice "live" sounding drum tracks down for some new demos - and yes, I will post them when done!), and have taken a band decision that we should junk the digital idea for a while and just get a decent analogue desk now after all, so looks like Mixwizard 16:2 here we come unless anyone has a better idea?

My Feedback

#45 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostMoJoKe, on 27 June 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

Did a bit of recording tonight (funnily enough, monitoring with in-ears! to get some nice "live" sounding drum tracks down for some new demos - and yes, I will post them when done!), and have taken a band decision that we should junk the digital idea for a while and just get a decent analogue desk now after all, so looks like Mixwizard 16:2 here we come unless anyone has a better idea?

For a smidge more than the MW, there is always the http://www.presonus....udioLive-16.0.2

#46 ben604

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

I've got a 16.0.2 and it's ace. The Capture software is very handy for recording, I simply get all the gains set, open capture on my laptop, select the tracks to arm for recording and hit record. The desk is fully featured too, dynamics, fx and para eq on each channel. Very easy to use. They're cheap too ~£600 2nd hand?

#47 MoJoKe

Totally Juvenile Idiot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

View Postben604, on 28 June 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

I've got a 16.0.2 and it's ace. The Capture software is very handy for recording, I simply get all the gains set, open capture on my laptop, select the tracks to arm for recording and hit record. The desk is fully featured too, dynamics, fx and para eq on each channel. Very easy to use. They're cheap too ~£600 2nd hand?

I really like the look of this, is it rackmountable?

My Feedback

#48 MoJoKe

Totally Juvenile Idiot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostMoJoKe, on 28 June 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

I really like the look of this, is it rackmountable?

Just had another good hard look... it IS rack mountable, but not enough channels for us, we need 14 mic pres and a stereo channel if were' gonna do this properly, but that puts us up to the 16:4:2, which is a heapload (for us at the moment) more money and definitely not rack mountable...

My Feedback

#49 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

If you have an iPad, Mackie DL 1608 is also another option, with the channel count you need - wouldn't suggest it unless you already have an iPad because if you factor in the cost of an iPad, pricewise, that pushing you towards the Qu16... which is what you really want.

#50 ben604

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, I've got mine in a rack case. You're right about the channel count though, if we're doing anything bigger, I've got access to an X32 with an S16 (which is awesome, if a little difficult to get your head around initially).

My only concern with having an iPad (which I trialed with our Presonus desk, although you need a computer inbetween which is a pain in the arse, although it worked well) is that I don't really want to be stood in some occasionally dodgy pubs with a £400 device, looking like a bit of a smarmy b*stard.

#51 MoJoKe

Totally Juvenile Idiot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostEBS_freak, on 28 June 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Qu16... which is what you really want.

No ipad... Qu16 - Yes, if money was no object, that would be the one, but double what we can really afford at the moment... Heyho!

My Feedback

#52 mike257

LOUD NOISES!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

Little bit of a stretch to your budget but has 16 mic pres, full recall and iPad/iPhone remote capabilities is a used Yamaha 01v96.

I'm using a first generation 01v with my function band (we had a limited budget and I bagged it for under 200!) and whilst its possible to bodge wireless control with a laptop and a router in between, I do think the 12 mic pres will be limiting for bigger shows, so I'll be hiring in on anything large.

Easy to navigate once you get a feel for where everything is though, and (as with all the decent digi stuff now) all your outboard is, err, onboard!

My Feedback Thread

BOOM! Event Services

#53 Chrismanbass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

View Postmike257, on 03 July 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

Little bit of a stretch to your budget but has 16 mic pres, full recall and iPad/iPhone remote capabilities is a used Yamaha 01v96.

I'm using a first generation 01v with my function band (we had a limited budget and I bagged it for under £200!) and whilst its possible to bodge wireless control with a laptop and a router in between, I do think the 12 mic pres will be limiting for bigger shows, so I'll be hiring in on anything large.

Easy to navigate once you get a feel for where everything is though, and (as with all the decent digi stuff now) all your outboard is, err, onboard!

we use one of these for our function band and as long as your not running horns or anything like that you should be alright with a regular 5 piece on it even if you want to full mic the drums.

i'm expecting delivery of a set of alien ears c3's on monday (their triple driver models) i'll do a review of them once i've had chance to road test them on a gig
Statistics say that 1 in 4 people are insane, so take a look at your 3 best friends and if they are all OK, its you!

#54 MoJoKe

Totally Juvenile Idiot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

View Postmike257, on 03 July 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

I'm using a first generation 01v with my function band (we had a limited budget and I bagged it for under £200!) and whilst its possible to bodge wireless control with a laptop and a router in between, I do think the 12 mic pres will be limiting for bigger shows, so I'll be hiring in on anything large.

Unless being dumb, I cannot find an O1V96 (even on Yam website? I'm probably gonna get tol not to be foolish now!) with more than 12 pre's? if I could I would agree, about perfect...

My Feedback

#55 mike257

LOUD NOISES!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostMoJoKe, on 13 July 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Unless being dumb, I cannot find an O1V96 (even on Yam website? I'm probably gonna get tol not to be foolish now!) with more than 12 pre's? if I could I would agree, about perfect...

Sorry, you're right, I was being a divvy. It has 16 channels but the last four are line inputs - the old 01V that I own had two stereo channels so only 14 faders to mix from. If you've got any line level sources or external mic pres you can still make use of the four line channels to get your full 16.

My Feedback Thread

BOOM! Event Services

#56 Chrismanbass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hi guys

So as promised heres my review of alien ears C3’s

Price - £370.00 (plus £30 for moulds)
I think this is a fairly reasonable price for triple driver units its around the same price as 1964’s and JH Audio’s triple driver offering and way below ACS’ T1’s (I’m aware the T1’s are made from silicone which accounts for some of the price difference) the only sticking point is that they are based in the US so shipping takes a little longer that it would do with a company based in the UK and obviously if there are any problems with them they have to be shipped back to be repaired.

Feel
At first there is a little discomfort wearing the C3’s as I’m used to my Shure se215’s (which if anyone is looking for a cheap alternative to moulds I highly recommend I’ve used them for 2 or 3 months before I had my C3’s and they did the job) however that being said you do get used to them after a few hours and they feel snug and secure even with the cord not pulled up the back of your neck.

Sound Quality
The sound huge! Everything is nice and defined I went for the normal C3 which have 2 low drivers and then a mid high driver as I wanted the extra punch in the low end to hear my bass they achieve this and more having 2 low drivers doesn’t muddy the sound at all its still very flat however there is just a little bit more low mid grunt which is very pleasing to my ears. The stereo spread is excellent too if something is panned slightly you hear it exactly where it’s supposed to be which is great if your running your in ears in stereo as when you hear a guitar it sounds like its coming from the amp rather than from inside your head which can happen when running in ears in mono

Look
I’m not big on looks to be honest I couldn’t really care what something looks like as long as it works but just a little note some of the colours on the alien ears website are not standard colours I ordered my monitors in green expecting it to be the nice neon green which is shown on the website. When I took delivery of them they came back as a darker kind of olive green, but like I said not a major issue I don’t really care what they look like.

Overall
First impressions of these monitors are great not many drawbacks and they sound great for the price I paid for them. I haven’t had chance to properly road test these yet so I can’t really comment on the durability of them, but one piece of advice I would give is check out the guys over at The Headphone Company these are the guys I used and the service was great I wasn’t the easiest customer to deal with and Paul took care of me and made my life easy it also means that I have a uk distributer to deal with so If I have any issues they will deal with alien ears on my behalf (international phone calls and shipping adds up) which is a nice safety net to have. So overall definitely recommend these to anyone looking to take a step up with their in ear monitoring and get moulds done.
Statistics say that 1 in 4 people are insane, so take a look at your 3 best friends and if they are all OK, its you!

#57 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Just an addition - bought some cheapy headphone mixers from Thomann - the Millenium one - for use with a headphone extension for when we have deps in. They are are good cheap option for those looking for a simple headphone amp on a budget. Annoying standard euro plug but nothing an adaptor won't fix... and you can always run on a 9v battery which will see you through a gig no problem.

EDIT - these things http://www.thomann.d..._hpa_in_ear.htm

Posted Image

But beware - they have no limiter so use at your own risk. I am running a brickwall limiter on my desk.

#58 MoJoKe

Totally Juvenile Idiot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

That looks good and robust. I have one of these

http://www.thomann.d...amp_amp_800.htm

Still no limiter, and maybe not as well built for the road, but has 2 distinct stereo input channels which can be switched to any of the 4 stereo headphone amps, each of which has 2 x 1/4in headphone outputs. Very versatile live and in the studio, as as such, very good value if you don't mind the brand!

My Feedback

#59 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostMoJoKe, on 17 July 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

That looks good and robust. I have one of these

http://www.thomann.d...amp_amp_800.htm

Still no limiter, and maybe not as well built for the road, but has 2 distinct stereo input channels which can be switched to any of the 4 stereo headphone amps, each of which has 2 x 1/4in headphone outputs. Very versatile live and in the studio, as as such, very good value if you don't mind the brand!

Hey, that's pretty useful. Can't complain at the money for that level of functionality.

#60 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Quite excited - I have been asked to audition a truck load of iems against my T1s. Looking forward to some JHA16 action... my credit card is trembling.

How this came about is that I was talking about ACS and the T1s, (being more than peeved that the ambient system still hasn't materialised) and I started thinking, given what the retail price on these ambient systems are reporting to be, it may aswell be prudent to look at other IEMs to gauge how good my ACS T1s fair against some of the real top end IEMs. I haven't missed the ambient sound at this stage - I thought I would (hence my want of the ambient system)... so thought I would investigate just how good the quality of the sound coming from the ACS really is and maybe rethink. Who knows...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users