Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1430311901' post='2760119']
No worries - the SE215s will do the job... when you get some new multi driver customs, prepare for your socks to be blown off!

No amp on stage = win.
[/quote]

EW300 G3 ordered from Mercury for the double win !! First try tomorrow night (assuming it is delivered on time)

Thanks to Russ and his advice I have a shiny new EW300G3 in my rack. Tried it last night and was very impressed. Just need to get some new custom moulded in-ears and I'll be fully happy.

I'll be moving the remote antenna to the far left hand side when I get a longer RF cable

Edited by intime-nick

Good to know you've joined the in-ear team, you won't regret it.

I've been using the ACS Live customs for a couple of months (now called the Evolve Live) and they're great.
I like the fact that I can hear people talking to me on stage, and I leave them in for the interval but just turn the local volume up a bit. I can filter out the noisy juke box during the interval too :)

Before that I was using Shure SE524, which also worked really well.

Normally I'm wired as I have a QU-16 with a ME-1 personal monitor. Still trying to work out the best way to make the wiring tidy.

I also have an AKG IVM 4500 which I use when PA is provided by others.

Does anyone have any experience of the AKG? I wondered how it compares to the EW300-IEM-G3?

Cheers
Martin

Never played with the AKG - it's onboard DSP intrigues me though.

As for cabling the ME1, first thing to do is get a PoE injector to get rid of the PSU so you can have a single Ethernet cable. If you are running multiple ME1s it may be worthwhile investing in a PoE capable switch... OR maybe but a simple hub and an injector for each ME1 and power them using a daisy chain between each injector. Certainly save a lot of clutter around your ME1s.

To me, the ME1 kinda became obsolete in a band situation when a&h opened up multiple iPad support to auxes when all the competition was doing it. I think the ME1 really comes into its own when you are daisy chaining them for a mega large monitor count - for say an orchestra - because obviously you haven't got enough auxes to cater to that.

Here you go. Cheap as chips.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/15079-solwise-poe-epe1212

And for a switch with 4x PoE ports,

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/15335-tp-link-tl-sg1008p/

Edited by EBS_freak

that's a good idea - power injector would tidy up the area.

I don't use the dsp on the AKG as on the previous model I found it added strange noises sometimes. Haven't tried it since I upgraded to the current model (due to licensing changes on frequencies)

I'm trying to keep hardware boxes to a minimum, so i don't use the AKG when I have the ME-1. The AKG receiver is just another box I need to put somewhere. I guess I could devise a box that houses the AKG receiver and the ME-1, but it would end up quite heavy and i mount the ME-1 on my mic stand.

[quote name='martinbass7750' timestamp='1430477625' post='2761768']
that's a good idea - power injector would tidy up the area.

I don't use the dsp on the AKG as on the previous model I found it added strange noises sometimes. Haven't tried it since I upgraded to the current model (due to licensing changes on frequencies)

I'm trying to keep hardware boxes to a minimum, so i don't use the AKG when I have the ME-1. The AKG receiver is just another box I need to put somewhere. I guess I could devise a box that houses the AKG receiver and the ME-1, but it would end up quite heavy and i mount the ME-1 on my mic stand.
[/quote]

Sorry, meant the [b]AKG transmitter[/b] is just another box I need to put somkewhere.....

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently taken the jump over to IEMs as my drummer is always raving about how good they are, and I'm fed up of carrying wedges and power amps about.

I've got a really basic wired system set up (I'm already tethered to my amp, so I guess another cable doesn't make a difference, plus I don't like the faff with batteries). I took the plunge on the Shure SE425 IEMs, which is powered by a basic Studiospares headphone amp, which is on my pedalboard. I'm connect them with a home made cable using High quality Van Damme balanced cable and Neutrik gold jacks.

I've tried the system with music running through and it sounds incredible - just getting used to having the buds in my ears! I have my first gig with them on the 13th so I look forward to reporting back on how they work in a band situation!!

• 3 weeks later...

Genuinely, the gold looks even better in real life! It has a texture to it that seems to change colour as you move the in-ear around! Thanks guys, your help was awesome! Very pleased!

re: my point why bass players need a dual in the low. The 535s will give you what I would say is "adequate" head room in the bass. Appreciate that everything comes at a cost though. Depending upon what you are running into your ears, a compressor usually will help give you a little more headroom but I still felt it was a compromise.

I had used some Shure 535s for several months before I finally took the plunge (after finally taking EBS_Freak's advice) and got the 1964 Ears V8s done.

The 535s are great for production IEMs. Real good sounding with good bass response, especially after I'd had the ACS sleeves moulded which made SUCH a difference. It's all relative though. By the time I'd got the sleeves done, plus the cost of the 535s, you're then approaching the cost of some custom moulds.

Like Russ has said, it wasn't until I'd listened to the V8s compared to the 535s that I realised just how much difference the dual lows (and the proper moulds) made.

Thx gents. I can see an across the board support for moulded sets but I'm nervous about relying on just the IEMs for all I can hear. This is mainly because I am also the singer and need that audience and band member rapport. Have so far only gigged 3 times with the system and only have vox in. The Shures I'm using let me hear the rest of the band (although a bit muffled) hence considering the 535s. I guess the challenge is, I could get the moulds, put the whole lot in and mic the audience then hope I can get on with it OR spend £300 on the Shures which should give a better experience than the ones I'm using now. Decisions, decisions.....Great thread though

If you like listening to CDs, then you'll have no problems with IEMs. All in or nothing in this game. If you are relying on hearing the ambient sound bleeding through your IEMs and mixing that with whats being sent from your aux, you've already lost the game.

The key approach is to control what goes into your mix... so if you want the audience, mic them.

I'm getting on really well with my SE425's - the sound quality is brilliant, and definitely night and day over a wedge!

I'm having trouble getting the buds to fit though - one of the supplies pairs is fine, but I feel like they're further into my ears than they should be... Would it be worth getting a set of custom moulds done, do you think? Or is there anywhere online that I can buy packs of buds to attach? It might just be a case of trying a few more! I've had a look through eBay but haven't purchased anything yet!

I've not had much success with generic buds, I end up cranking them far too high. Just been to get my ear impressions done at Cosmic Ears (www.cosmicears.com). Was dead quick and Phil their MD was super helpful. Have ended up ordering their 6 driver setup. Should provide loads more clarity than the Shure ones I have been using. Looking forward to getting them, can't wait.

Just got back from having moulds done by the Custom IEM company to get 1964 V6S. Fortunately for me I'm going to the states and will get V6S for less than you would get Quads for in this country and the same price as generic Shure 535s. It's amazing how much cheaper things are in the States if you're going there. Paul from Custom IEM's was great and really professional taking the moulds and 1964 have been great to deal with. Will be a nice arrival present when I get to the States!

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1436372027' post='2817632']
Just got back from having moulds done by the Custom IEM company to get 1964 V6S. Fortunately for me I'm going to the states and will get V6S for less than you would get Quads for in this country and the same price as generic Shure 535s. It's amazing how much cheaper things are in the States if you're going there. Paul from Custom IEM's was great and really professional taking the moulds and 1964 have been great to deal with. Will be a nice arrival present when I get to the States!
[/quote]

Indeed - especially if you wait for the Black Friday deals that they have on. Congrats on your purchase!